Warn against renting

Answered!

Warn against renting

Hi,

After my first rental from Airbnb, I will warn everyone and never use this platform again.

When an ad says "heating" and there is so cold you must wear a jacket inside, this is not a safe platform to use. Especially when Airbnb does nothing to help, neither does the host. I Norway this would be reason for termination of the contract, but on this platform, I understand everything goes. 

First. I politely asked the receptionist to help me with my luggage, and it ended up him doing nothing even though he said he would. When I asked him after ten minutes of waiting what this was all about, he aggressively said to me "I know where you live". I wouldn't mind someone being impolite or even calling me a fat cow, but a threat is in no way ok. Airbnb is informed and they have done nothing to solve the issue. 

Second, it is freezing cold inside. Obviously, I have tried Airbnb and the host several times, but they have done nothing to help. It is a pump that only covers heating in one corner of the living room, and it also takes 6 hours before that corner is warm enough to take off your jacket, and then feel warm enough to go to sleep. I have booked for one month, and woke up today with a cold. I can not understand how this could even be legal, and will warn everyone againt booking from 

She herself claims three thin blankets is enough as a duvey and that two hours is enough to warm up the whole apartment. Well, even though the pump is one the kitchen part is still cold, same with bathroom and bedroom. 

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Linda3522 If a key amenity (heating) is not working then you should be able to cancel and get the remaining stay refunded. Try Airbnb again as different reps say different things or try Twitter as Airbnb hate bad publicity.

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Hmmm... 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Linda3522 If a key amenity (heating) is not working then you should be able to cancel and get the remaining stay refunded. Try Airbnb again as different reps say different things or try Twitter as Airbnb hate bad publicity.

Thank you for the advice. It is actually warmer outside than inside, just went to buy some groceries, and had to take off my jacket, inside I have to have it on. 

I'm not on Twitter unfortunately, but I given a review on Trustpilot, and will also do so on travelling sites. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Linda3522  Mike and Jane have given you good advice. You can't be forced to stay in a place that isn't heated enough to be comfortable. 

This place is not run by a"host". It is run by a property manager with 19 listings. You should stay away from listings like that- they are often problematic. Listings run by hands-on hosts with only one or a few listings are much less risky, as the hosts have a personal interest in making sure guests are comfortable and care about their ratings and reviews. 

All of this property manager's listings have low ratings, which is something you should have paid attention to. One of their listings has a 2.3 rating, which is abysmal and basically means the place should be condemned.

But as for the receptionist not being willing to carry your bags, you rented an accommodation. It doesn't come with concierge service. Sure, it would have been nice if he had offered to help you, but you should certainly not have such an expectation, nor is it cause for complaint.

And this forum is not the place to call out a specific host or listing. That's what reviews are for.

- I am forced though since Airbnb does nothing to help. 

- I have written a review on Trustpilot, but as mentioning the host is not against community rules, I don't see why this is your concern. 

- I have no problem with the receptionist not helping me carry my luggage, but I do have a problem with him threatening me. Airbnb told me to contact local police, and they called reception. It is a 24-hour service, and I only had good experiences with the others working there though. 

Is this always how you talk to someone by the way? I find you very rude and will not give any more attention to your comments. 

@Linda3522  I certainly didn't intend to be rude to you, sorry if it came across like that. 

The reason I said it isn't an appropriate place to call out a host or a listing is because this is a discussion forum, not a place like Trust Pilot for reviews. And because this is an international forum with hosts and guests from all over the world, the chances of someone else who might book this host's listings seeing your warning here is quite slim, so it really won't accomplish what you hope it would.

The place that has the most impact in terms of warning future guests is in the Airbnb review you leave after your stay, because that is where anyone thinking of renting there will be sure to see it (if they read through reviews, of course)

And also the moderators of this forum do remove specific naming of both guests and hosts, although posting a link to a listing is fine.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Linda3522 

The appartment is in southern part of Spain, so not a region where it useally "freezingly cold":

https://www.red2000.com/spain/primer/clima.html

But if there is heating offered in the listing (which is, i checked), then it should ofcourse work properly..

If you experience a "travel issue", then you need to follow procedures as mentioned here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2868/airbnb-guest-refund-policy

If you booked for a month, then the "long term stay" cancellation policy is attached to the reservation.

Which means there is no refund if you cancel (so not advised)

You need to contact Airbnb again about the issue. Maybe they can relocate you to other appartment or cancel the reservation on behalf of the host ,with refund of the unused nights.

It is freezing cold INSIDE; nowhere did I mention it was cold outside? 

I have followed the travel issue, and Airbnb still does nothing to help. And you are right if I cancel, I will not get a refund. I prepaid for both this place and Madrid (March) before leaving Norway, so luckily, I've made sure there will be heat provided at my next stay and I also see this person has ten times as many (good) reviews.

I have followed the procedures as you mention, but Airbnb still does nothing to help. They are very polite and say they are deeply sorry about this when I call them, then promise another one in their team will reach out within an hour, and it never happens. 

I've both suggested the host give me an oven or at least a duvet. And suggested they find another location, instead of giving a refund. No help so far. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I'm confused, the link shows a listing with an outdoor pool and palm trees, exactly how much heat is needed for such a location?

This is also not as listed, there is only water in the pools from May I think, and as I answered the person before you - it's cold INSIDE, not outside 🙂 Outside it's like April in Norway, where I'm from, and jeans and a thin jacket is sufficient. 

@Linda3522  If you can't get any help to cancel this booking and get a refund for unstayed dates, I would suggest you just go out and buy yourself a space heater so you can be comfortable. 

I do understand the pleasant temperature outside but really cold inside- I lived in a small rental house here in Mexico for 3 years and in the winter, it was really cold inside for a large part of the day. The nights here can be quite chilly in winter, but as soon as  the sun comes out during the day, it's quite warm. But this house had no windows or doors on the sunny side, so it never warmed up inside.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello @Linda3522   It is always terrible when an accommodation is not as you expected.  As you are aware of what Air BNB will do to help you in this situation and it is not adequate for your needs, perhaps rather than lose all the money you have already spent with relocating, how about just finding an appropriate extra blanket.  The room is probably warmed up by now.  As noted by @Sarah977  this host is not noted for good quality as indicated by reviews.  This is a lesson learned by many of us in using this type of platform.  You have to delve into the reviews before booking.  Or, you can just go with vetted hotel chains, if available.  I am not being unsympathetic but I am hoping you will find a way to just move on and accomplish whatever you wish in this temporary accommodation.  Take care, Linda

I do not find you unsympathetic, no worry. But I'm not a fan of victim blaming, though. Could have, would have, should have...

From now on I will delve into the review, as I thought I did with this person - who turned out to be a company. It's kind of funny, she calls herself *** and sent me pictures of herself and Sergio Dalma (a famous Spanish singer) and said she had met him. These pictures "she" got from Spanish tabloid though, as I think the women in the photo is his former girlfriend *lol*

I just checked my accommodation for March (Madrid) and he has 78 reviews, 4,92 stars and as I can see, only one listing. 

@Linda3522  The host sent you photos of herself and some famous singer? How weird. That's a red flag right there. As if even if she did hang out with some celebrity, that has anything to do with being a host or dealing with guests. 

The shoulda woulda coulda you might perceive as victim blaming here on the forum might come across like that, but isn't the intention- it's generally intended to make guests or hosts aware of what to watch out for next time, what are red flags to be aware of. Obviously there are situations nothing can really be done about after the fact.