What questions do you ask prior to approving a booking?

Denise1937
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

What questions do you ask prior to approving a booking?

What questions do you ask prior to approving a booking? I just booked my first guest. Of course I want to avoid issues and damage to the property. Looking for best practices to do so. 

[Tittle modified by OCM]

10 Replies 10
Sarah6111
Level 2
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

I don't usually ask questions but I read their reviews and we have put a block on first time Airbnb guests which you can do through settings, especially as we were new to hosting in March and I think we may stick with that rule actually. Good luck! 

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I don't ask any questions. I also look at their reviews mostly to judge whether or not to accept/deny. 

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Yes, read their reviews. You can ask if the number of guests they filled out, is correct? 

Good communication with your guests are essential. Remind them of your rules and let them know if you have cameras outside. 
good luck!!!

Rod-and-Rosa0
Level 2
South Padre Island, TX

I am presently accepting instat bookings; however, I would like to present the following questions to potential guests before they finalize their reservations: Have you reviewed the House Rules and do you agree to comply with them? Additionally, I will provide the option to purchase travel insurance and explain the associated consequences if they decline. Thank you!

Sheila803
Level 3
Lancaster, CA

Hi Denise, I'm set for auto booking without approval but when I get the message that someone booked I usually tell them thank you for choosing my home and ask them what brings you into town, if they don't already state that in their message to me. Happy bookings and much success.  

Richard264
Level 3
Breckenridge, CO

Hi Denise… if someone has prior host reviews, we don’t ask any questions at all and we just approve the request. We used to use “instant book”, which was convenient… but we had to turn that off after there was a policy change which allowed guests with zero reviews to “instant book”.

For new users to the platform, or guests without a previous host review, we use the canned statement below. We love welcoming new users to the platform, and introducing them to the service. To date, I don’t think we have ever turned anyone away. The statement below helps people to understand that this is our home, and we’ve spent many, many hours making it a special place for their visit. 

“Hi xxxxx... Rich Mason here!

Thank you very much for your booking request. It looks like you are new to the Airbnb platform... and have no host reviews at this point. Is that correct? Have you stayed at an Airbnb previously? Also... your profile appears to be bit on the lightweight side... you may be missing school, work, or the self-description section may be blank. Are you able to address those items?

We don't mind helping new guest users out by being their first Airbnb host... but it is a little more of a risk for us if a guest does not have previous host reviews (you may have heard about some issues in the news recently). This home is very special place for our family.

Have you read and agree to the "House Rules" which appear in the listing. It's a residential neighborhood... and we are currently on very good terms with our neighbors. I really appreciate your time in addressing these questions... they not only will give us a level-of-comfort (we've literally spent thousands of hours over the last 6 years building the Carriage House)... they will greatly assist you in future bookings on Airbnb as a positive review from a Host enables you to make reservations without approval if a Host allows "Instant Book".

Thank you!”

After receiving the message above, nearly all of the new users open up and provide much more detail about themselves, which also gives us a level of comfort. We’ve never had an issue with a guest who is a new user.

Peter4167
Level 2
Lewes, DE

thank you, Denise.

Our reservations now are done automatically...seems guests self select in terms of seeking out a beautiful area...which complements taking care of it and our home.

Too,  looks like we only get guests who have an excellent (5) rating with Airbnb.

Thank you.

Peter

Robin488
Level 2
Perdido Beach, AL

I typically as more about their group,  first names for all coming (we have welcome boards with names on them).. I also verify if there will be pets traveling with them, if so how many and the pets names.  If they indicate pets but had not listed them on the reservation, I update reservation and ask them to accept pet fees.  

Shaun571
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hi - I rely on reviews and if they do not have many, I ask what brings them in town to try to get an understanding of their intent.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Denise1937 , that's a great question! I've noticed conversations in the community where experienced hosts usually advice new hosts to vet guests and have a set of vetting questions. 

Thanks so much hosts @Shaun571 @Robin488 @Peter4167 @Richard264 @Sheila804 @Rod-and-Rosa0 @Debbie210 @Zheng49 @Sarah6111  for sharing these tips based on your hosting experiences. 

@Denise1937 What do you think of the ideas coming from our wonderful hosts?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines