What the hell are these tenants?

What the hell are these tenants?

I just had the strangest experience with Airbnb tenants, unlike anything in my year of hosting. These guests arrived at 7 pm, praised the house, which includes an outdoor pool with lights, and mentioned how lovely it was. Although they were seven people, exceeding the house limit of six, I didn’t mind and gave them my phone number for any issues.

Within 30 minutes, I received a call about one light not working, even though there were 11 other lights around the pool. I explained that they might need to check a different plug, but they called three more times, insisting they were 'swimming in the dark.' I offered to send someone to fix it, but they refused. I also clarified that swimming at night is highly discouraged as it could lead to injury.

At 1 am, they messaged again, complaining about dust, despite having four kids running in and out of the house. I had even sent them a video showing the house's condition right before their arrival. I offered a free cleaning service, but they declined.

A few days later, they complained about construction noise, which I found out lasted less than four hours during business hours for a broadband installation. They asked for a partial refund, but I offered a full refund if they left that day—they refused. It became clear they were angling for a discount.

I contacted Airbnb, explaining the situation, but Airbnb gave them the entire stay for free. This is unheard of in my experience, both as a host and a guest, where rules typically apply. 

I'm just asking for advice on how to manage the inevitable negative review ?

Many thanks,

Saad

1 Reply 1

Hi @Saad189 

I’m sorry to hear about your tough experience—sometimes, no matter how much we prepare, there are guests who are hard to satisfy. Here are a few strategies that might help manage the fallout:

1. Respond Professionally to the Review: If they leave a negative review, respond calmly and professionally. Acknowledge their concerns, but also provide context for future guests. For example, you might say something like, “I’m sorry the guests experienced some issues during their stay. We always strive to provide a great experience and offered assistance with any concerns that arose, including extra cleaning and maintenance support. We continue to work hard to ensure all our guests have a pleasant stay.

2. Encourage Positive Reviews: After a difficult experience, it’s important to encourage positive reviews from other guests. This can help to quickly outweigh any negative feedback. Make sure your next few guests have an exceptional experience, and gently ask them to share their positive thoughts in a review.

3. Contact Airbnb Again: It might be worth reaching out to Airbnb support again, calmly explaining the situation and your concerns about how it was handled. Sometimes, a second review of the case can lead to a different outcome or, at the very least, provide you with advice on how to handle similar situations in the future.

4. Learn and Move Forward: Use this as a learning experience to refine your hosting approach. Consider adding more specific rules or clarifications in your listing to set clear expectations, especially regarding guest limits and noise disturbances.

Stay strong—hosting has its ups and downs, but the positive experiences with great guests will always outweigh the tough ones. Best of luck!

Many thanks,