What things do you look for as a guest?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What things do you look for as a guest?

Guests.jpg

Hey there everyone,

When we prepare our home for our guests, we try to think of even the smallest detail to ensure everything is perfect. We want our guests to feel comfortable and enjoy listing! So, what happens when the roles reverse and hosts become guests? We also want our trip to be a special and unforgettable experience and where we stay plays a big part.

What are the things that you look for in a listing, when you become a guest?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

80 Replies 80

I don’t really understand, how do you vet someone from a photo?

@Ann732    how long have you been hosting? 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

A relatively clean room, an inviting bed and a bench to throw my stuff on.

Bonus is a reading light. Chairs are unimportant.

monkroom.jpg

Jennifer1673
Level 3
Pine Mountain Club, CA

What are the things that you look for in a listing, when you become a guest?

I presume you mean what YOU look for, as a guest.

Depending on the purpose of my visit, I might look for refundable bookings.

I NEED coffee lol so it's a requirement for me; either a coffee maker and/or they provide coffee in the mornings. 

Location; the most important, depending on the purpose too. 

Privacy; I like my own bathroom. Attached the bedroom is nice, but not required. 

Pets Allowed; if I am bringing my dog!

Enough towels and nice bedding

Good ratings.. sorry, I won't be someone's first guest. 

Enough pics to show the shared and private places.

You would love my place!!! I am like you, I want what I provide as a host when I become the guest!

Why supply coffee machine when guests don't look in coffee jar marked fresh coffee then leave a poor review  can't read listing or read how to work a microwave or don't look in bathroom cupboard for soaps of shampoo can't see spare  toilet rolls right in front of them on and on.

Jody79
Level 10
Chicago, IL

We were ABB guests for about two years before we listed our own space.  We are not real picky and don't expect a whole lot when traveling.  What's important for us as guests are cleanliness, comfortable beds and my partner likes his coffee.  When looking for a place I will read the description and reviews and check to make sure the location is near where we want to be.  As long as the place is true to it's decribed listing, we are pretty happy guests.

As we are new hosts, we are still making continuous updates to our listing.  We have been asking most of our guests to provide us with suggestions on what would make the space better.  We have incorporated a lot of those suggestions.  We also pay attention to other host's spaces that we stay in as guests for ideas for our own space.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ah @Jody79 the three C's - Comfort, cleanliness and coffee. Can't go wrong!

Lovely to hear you expierenced the guest side so thoroughly before jumping into Hosting, I can see how that gave you a great insight when preparing your listing, and hosting itself. 

Your listing is gorgeous by the way! And your guests certainly are enjoying it. Looks like we might need to add an extra C based on what they're saying - "Cozy." 🙂

Stephanie

-----

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Stephanie, I just booked a farm stay on the way to Sydney for next week, and I can honestly say I am not sure what it even looks like or what amenities it has. I think I chose it on the host pic actually. The pic was happy and friendly. Mind you, I was just looking for a niceish place to rest after a long drive, one night.

Yep, they seem nice! Booked.

People book my place because of how it looks and the reviews, from what I can tell after speaking with them.

Reviews

How do I know if the house is clean, it’s noisy at night, the wi-fi works or is broken, the host is nice, polite, rude or dishonest? Well, I have no way of knowing that without reading other people’s comments and thoughts from the website.

As in all things, it is always a good idea to take travelers’ reviews with some degree of skepticism. I'm always suspicious of good reviews, but I also take the bad ones with a grain of salt, maybe they are the result of very demanding guests.           

However, I should like to point out that I believe that most travelers' reviews are honest and fair.

I would avoid public transportation.

Main features of the accomodation

I mean, before leaving I always look like I can face any discomfort to save a buck. But then, the bubble burst. Perhaps it is the idea of ​​travel that makes me more optimistic.

What I  like to do in everyday life, I certainly like to do on vacation.

So, private bathroom. Wi-fi. Queen-size bed. Air conditioning.

Price

Possibly not out of my price range.

The combination of all these elements determines my choice.

A wonderful house, positively reviewed, in the centre of the city, at a reasonable price is my first choice.

A positively reviewed accommodation in the heart of the city out of my price range is my second choice.

A well-placed accommodation at a very low price, but with 15 bad reviews in a row, it’s not my thing.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Interesting thought process Emily! 

Like any savvy consumer, checking the reviews before a purchase can save dissappointment down the line.

-----

Why would you be suspecious of good reviews?  People will go out of their way to write a bad review.  Getting a good review is like pulling teeth sometimes.  If a person puts in the energy to give a  good review I would trust more so than the bad one.  IMO.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Interesting question...

I always find myself browsing this or that place. As a guest I look for inspiration not amenities. If a place has the most amazing view or uniqueness, I will happily go without a coffee machine or internet. Nothing is rigid for me as a set of requirements. Whether it’s a treehouse, a cabin, or a camper van, I look for a place where either the space or the surroundings will inspire my creativity.

As a guest, I want a space that feels like I’m staying in someone’s story.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great reasoning @Ben !

I think, at least for me, one of the main reasons I chose an Airbnb over a hotel is because I expect something a little different! So many Hosts I've talked to on this community wear their artistc/creative side on their sleeve and really go to down when decking out their listing to show this off. 

But then, we know you are an artist after all!

-----

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

For me and I use Airbnb probably 4-6 times a year on average, this is what I look for:

1. Private bathroom if doesn't break budget - NYC for example, I went for shared but most other places I look for private. I would rather not worry about coordinating schedules, rushing, or having to clear items out of shared spaces when I am on vacation.
  2. FIRM bed. I look for either mention of that in description listing or by other guests in reviews. My back cannot tolerate a soft mattress.
  3. No dogs. I am kind of scared of dogs (especially bigger ones) so this isn't a total dealbreaker,  but all things being equal I go for dog free listing. I do love cats so I have stayed in several homes with cats.
  4. Depending on locale, if it is a tropical or hot (i.e. NYC in the summer) I definitely need A/C. I will happily pay more for that amenity.
  5. Flexible check-in logistics if possible...I would rather not stress about meeting a host at a very specific time.
  6. SUPERHOST! I definitely feel a level of assurance staying with superhosts so I always add that filter.
  7. Style...This one is not as important but again, all things being equal, if a home or rooms is a bit more stylish or has a nice aesthetic it can definitely sway me.