What would you do in this case? guests asking for some kind of money back for a lack of water problem at night that we fixed the following morning

Jordi121
Level 1
Girona, Spain

What would you do in this case? guests asking for some kind of money back for a lack of water problem at night that we fixed the following morning

Hello,

I had two guests staying in our place and they loved it. I talked to them and they were very nice and cooperative all the time. We had a problem with the water pipe at night and they helped me to try to fix it, but as we could not I sent someone the following morning. Around mid morning we managed to fix it and everything was back to normal. They thank us and that was that.

I just got their comments on Airbnb and they were very nice complementing both the house and the help we provided, but they sent me the following private message

""Hello Jordi! We had a fabulous time at your locale and only wish the sun made an appearance. We did have to suggestions/pieces of info: (1) the bug grocery store you suggested in your materials was closed when we arrived (it was a Sunday). You might make that update to your book so that future guests don't have the same issue. (2) Get a safe. You notified that you would be doing so for summer and that is great. It was a real hassle to have to carry our passports with us everywhere we went rather than just put them in a safe. On another note, not having water for 15 hours wasn't ideal. Not your fault, of course, and we appreciated the rapid response ! But, given the inconvenience to our plans, as well as our climbing up hills and in water barrels, some remuneration is appropriate.""

What do you think?

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

hyaaaooo ...eye roll...

I would ask them to do the math about how much 15 hours without water is worth in percentages of what they have paid for the accommodation taking into consideration the following variables:

- 8 out of 15 hours was sleeping time so they were out of water for only 7 hours out of their xx hours long stay

- Besides the water, the accommodation price also includes: gas, electricity, A/C, WIFI, TV, xx m2 of the property, heating, furniture and beds, beddings and linens, kitchen with all utensils, soap and toiletries, parking spot if any... etc, whatever you provide including toilet paper

Then wait 🙂

jajaja, that's a good one

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

How many days was their booking for?  

Having previously lived in rural  Spain I consider 15 hours with no water small potatoes 😉

Jordi121
Level 1
Girona, Spain

They stayed for 3 days. I think I will just offer them a discount if they come next time so at least it is an incentive.

Thanks for your opinions.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jordi121 I really feel for you. We have been so lucky - One guest had their kitchen flooded when I was on a speeding awareness course so they had to deal with it themselves for 2 hours. Another had a total wifi failure thanks to our supplier. The first demanded no recompense, the latter just marked us down to 4 stars.

I like your idea of a future discount - I hope it works.