When you travel & stay in an Airbnb - what type of accommodation do you prefer?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

When you travel & stay in an Airbnb - what type of accommodation do you prefer?

Airbnb AccomodationAirbnb Accomodation

Hi everyone, 

When travelling and searching for an Airbnb for a perfect staycation, you may come across a variety of listings and property types that you might want to explore. When travelling as a guest, do you go for an entire home or unit to have the place to yourself or prefer to go for an attached or detached apartment that has a private entrance? Or do you prefer shared homes? Do you specifically look for unique stays at rustic cabins or go for a modern apartment, located in the heart of the city? 

We would love to hear from our Hosts, what type of accommodation do you prefer when travelling as guests 😉 🏘?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

55 Replies 55

It depends. I love to experience other cultures when I travel but also look for convenience. If a property has both, it's a win for me

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Emma3980 , that's amazing! Have you ever had a chance to experience local events or cultures when travelling? 

As a Host, 👉 how have you embraced guest cultural traditions into your life?👈

-----

Hülya16
Level 2
Gökçeada, Turkey

Hello. If the place I go for myself is a city with historical texture, I prefer a city-specific accommodation, if I am going for work, I prefer a modern office apartment. Apart from that, places with easy collection, plain items and price are important, which are not very detailed.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That makes so much sense @Hülya16 ! During your travels as a guest, have you observed any amenities provided by other Hosts , that you've decided to incorporate into your own listing? 

-----

Yes @Bhumika , when we were young, 30-35 years ago, our children were small, our biggest problem, which we lacked in the travels we went, was that there were no hostel apartments where we could be detached with our family. Most of them were renting as rooms. We were renting a separate room for the children, but there was a problem because we were not the only ones in the building. Because others were staying in other rooms and we usually had to use the shared kitchen and bathroom. When I retired, I decided to work as a hostel and we opened our own hostel 21 years ago. While doing it, we divided our building into 4 apartments. We designed it as two rooms, kitchen, toilet-bathroom and balcony in all of them. Same building but as a detached apartment. Then what did I need the most as an item? Clean and non-spoile, non-dispersible beds; I used a high metal cot and cotton strech bed sheet.

Then the kitchen utensil; it is not very crowded, but it is healthy and easy to clean porcelain plates, glass cups and steel pots, cutlery. Bathroom; a large and easy-to-clean, recessed-non-protruding flat floor and vitrified. This is a great convenience for both the guest and I to clean. I didn't put a sofa bed, fabric armchair in the apartments because you can't clean them enough in 2 hours after each guest exit. 

I preferred wood or plastic. Since this is usually a summer accommodation, all furnishings are cotton to relieve sweating. I use Aquamat runners in places. They should not walk around the tiles, but I can throw it into the machine and wash them immediately so that allergic people are not affected by the dust and they do not slip.

I don't use horse slippers. A lot of environmental pollution. Instead, I give my guests eva filip flap slippers. I also put them in a bag and wash them in the washing machine with bleach-added detergent. In my houses, the items are not white, my sheets and fleas are colorful because I am not a hotel, I wanted my guest to feel the warmth of the house. I wanted it not to be a very detailed item like a house, it should not tire my guest, but it should not give a cold feeling.

Apart from that, I personally take care of all my guests and whatever they need; I give information about the places to visit, food, the region we are in. They like it a lot. And it causes us to make very good friendships in the future. I have no travel company that I work for other than you, but I have guests that are constantly increasing thanks to these friendships. All my guests who come here will come to me if they will come to the island again or if their relatives will come. It doesn't look for any other place. This is the case for my overseas guests.

These are the savings that I lack in my previous stays or that I have created my own style by combining the things I like.  Pensioning didn't save us a lot of money, but it brought so many beautiful friends and environment that I'm glad we're doing this job. My doctor, lawyer, architect, banker..... we have consultants and supporters of all professions and ages😊

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks so much for sharing more about your hosting journey with us @Hülya16 ! It's so insightful to read how you've incorporated your learnings and experiences to provide useful amenities and comfortable stay for your guests. Hope you continue to grow such beautiful friendships across the globe 😍 

Do you have any memorable friendships or hosting stories that you would like to share with us on this topic by clicking here? 👉Share your unforgettable hosting stories! 👈

-----

HI @Bhumika ,  I have a son-in-law who is in a wheel chair, so when we travel we need a totally handicap accessible place to stay.  This includes a roll-in shower and no steps.  The bed also has to be open underneath to fit his lift.  It would be great if there were more places like this and that they are easier to identify.

Hi @Frank-And-Mary0 , Thanks for sharing with us!  I know a few Hosts  in the Community, who are into accessibility. I wonder if they had more ideas on how to identify accessible listings while searching for a stay on Airbnb : @Ted--Pauline-And-Keo0 @Deirdre122 🌻 Looking forward to hear their insights. 

-----