guest booked, but wants to see the place early

Billie37
Level 3
Allen, TX

guest booked, but wants to see the place early

Hi, I have a guest that just booked my place for 9 nights in early May.  The reservation is for 8 guests with 1 infant. The guest messaged me after booking asking if they can view the place early.  Is this normal?  This is the first time I have been asked this.  Can I just give him a few times and a code and have him show up without me there or would I have to meet him?  If damages occur at that time, does Airbnb cover it?  I’m guessing no.  I don’t know how to handle this or what to think of it.  What would you do and are there any Airbnb policies around this?  Thanks in advance for your input.  Thanks, Billie 

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Billie37  No it's not normal and you should not accept it, and you should not consider for one moment allowing anyone to access your home without you there- these are complete strangers to you- would you give any other stranger the key code and let them enter your property?

Guests may ask to preview as an excuse for stealing, or scoping the place out for a future theft, or they may use the excuse to talk to you in person to try to get you to book off-platform. Some guests may have nothing nefarious in mind at all, but simply don't understand that this just isn't done.

Guests should be able to ascertain from your photo gallery, your listing description, and asking you any questions they need to before booking, to make sure this is a place they want to book.

Just politely tell them that, and that previewing a place they book on Airbnb isn't something Airbnb hosts allow and that if they need any questions answered about the listing, you'll be happy to address them.

Ok, thank you so much!  It seems all the articles I read addressed guests wanting to view prior to booking.  I didn’t know if the rules changed after a booking.  It felt like a strange request when I have verified Airbnb photos and reviews.  Plus, the guest booked, so they have the address and can look at it via google maps and/or drive by. 

@Billie37  Yes, guests may ask to do this before a confirmed booking, as well. But that's actually next to impossible anyway, as guest's and host's phone numbers and addresses aren't visible until after the booking is confirmed, and info like that is blocked out in Airbnb messages until booking confirmation.

Funnily enough, my across the street neighbor, who also hosts, just had this happen to her last week. Except the guest didn't even ask- she just showed up 3 days before her check-in date to "check it out". My neighbor, who lives on the property in her own house, had guests in the unit at the time and told her that, and that she couldn't see inside and the woman tried to insist. Then she started asking her a million questions and acting like the place wasn't up to snuff (the host advertises it accurately- it's in the countryside on a large property). A few days later, when the woman showed up to stay, she complained endlessly (she had booked a somewhat rustic, open air place in the countryside, when she was, in fact, a city slicker who had no idea what that meant and was freaked out about everything) and left a terrible review.

I thought I replied the other day, but I don't think my response was saved... ugh.

I think that is awesome that you have a neighbor that hosts!  So cool!  That is horrible what happened with that guest though!!  Wow!  I really hope Airbnb can delete that review since the guest ended up being a nutcase!  

Airbnb help emailed me back and agreed it was inappropriate for a guest to come by early since the insurance doesn't cover the guest or the host until after the check-in time.  I relayed this information to the guest and he was pretty cool about it.  I offered to make videos and he said that would be fine.  I sent him links to the videos today.  It is a little weird to me still, like why aren't the pics enough?  But I guess maybe there is some sort of trust issue, I guess?  Maybe they are worried the pictures aren't representative?  🤷‍♀️

Well, thank you so much Sarah for all your input.  It is very much appreciated.  It really helped me to not feel alone here!