refund for unhappy guest?

Laura4111
Level 3
Salt Point, NY

refund for unhappy guest?

I had a lovely elderly  woman check in yesterday for a 4 day stay. She and her sister loved the place and said they would recommend to friends. She used to live in the area, although she seemed nervous about the area (not that anyone should be) saying she wouldn't open the windows, asking if anyone could get into the backyard, etc, etc.

Today I got a message from her saying that she would be packing up her stuff and leaving later this afternoon. SHe said " I am not happy there"

I was shocked and asked her if something happened. She has arthritis and was having difficulty with the keys and opening the studio door. She complained that the tub was too high and no safety bars. It is a little high but there is a bar built in on one side.

She also said "no cable". My listing states a ROKU TV.

She was clearly not familiar  with Airbnb. No reviews and texted me on my cell weeks beforehand asking if she was paid up, etc.

I have apologized profusely and explained that I would adjust the listing to say that the tub was higher and that there was a grab bar. I also said the listing did not say cable.

I offered to give a refund for 2 days but she said don't worry about the money.

I am still thinking of doing it but....well looking for advice

PS she did communicate all this through personal email and I am thinking of screenshotting the text and puting in Airbnb messaging to have a record of the conversation.

Thouhgts?

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Laura4111 

I assume the reservation is  not cancelled ?

They just left earlier for reasons which is out of your control and being not your fault.

Why refund if they don't ask for it ?

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura4111 I would let it go, as it sounds like you did nothing wrong. If the guest hasn't cancelled, I also wouldn't refund for the nights not spent, especially as she said not to worry about it. If you still are adamant to refund, wait until you receive the payout, then send her the amount for the remaining two nights through the resolution center.

@Colleen253thank you for the advice about waiting for the payout 1st.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with the other hosts, do not refund unless you believe there was something amiss on your part.  As to memorializing the communication on the Air BNB system, I always summarize any communication, phone or text, in a message to the guest requesting they confirm my summation.  Not sure how a guest gets your personal email contact information, but I would not release that myself.  If she does review and the review points out negative experience for her, just respond to the review with any steps you have taken as a result of her feedback.

I am in the "elderly" age range and have had negative experiences due to characteristics of the property that were less than friendly to the older body.  However, in my reviews, I take responsibility for my short comings, such as low night vision or poor balance, that would not be the problem of a younger guest, but might need to be called out for the older guest.

@Linda108thank you for your insight. I too am retired and could call myself elderly.  I plan to take pictures of the shower/tub combo and make note of the height of the tub for future guests. I just am not sure how closely guests look at pictures and descriptions  before booking. Clearly she did not know what a ROKU enabled TV was, and expected cable.

I think as a host your review would be honest and take responsibility, I am a little concerned about her review, but I am not going to let it rule my life. I have a 4.97 rating and no negative reviews as of yet. I take pride in being a superhost and my rating.

I meant to write that she contacted me using  my cell phone number, not email.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Laura4111   I agree with the others; you do not need to refund this guest unless you wish to do so out of the kindness of your heart.  I am older and have older friends.  Some of them would not know the difference between having Cable TV and a Roku, especially those whose spouse/kids/grandkids set up their service.   Tubs without safety bars in an unfamiliar bath may also worry certain guests -- I added safety bars to my tubs when I began renting -- not ADA compliant, but an extra handrail on the entry edge keeps people happy.  

There are a lot of people who are trying AirBnBs now who would never have done so before, and they really don't quite "get" what the difference is.  You tried to give this guest a good experience; she just wasn't ready for what it was.  P.S.  Cute place!

@Lorna170I hear all your points and agree with them.  I plan on refunding the 2 nights as a courtesy.  She was local to the area 14 years ago and I am sure she still knows a lot of people in the area, so don't want to tarnish my reputation.

My question is how do you get these "new to Airbnb" people to read the descriptions, look at pictures, check list of amenities before booking so they are not disappointed  and unhappy?   BTW, I have had much older people stay and they had no complaints. You do not get a profile picture until after people book and you can not usually tell a persons age from that picture.  Do I have to clarify with everyone before I approve them that  these are amenities I DO NOT have? I just got a text from the guest saying "and there was no AC". This is not listed as an amenity.  I do have fans but I don't think she used them.

Since the descriptions of pictures are not visible unless someone clicks on each picture individually, where would you suggest I list what I don't have??

Thank you to all for your comments

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Laura4111

Whilst we personally don't know how elderly this Guest is, nor do we know the extent of her health disabilities, it's admirable for her to follow up on things and for you to offer a refund for the other 2 nights.

Maybe she has been robbed in her own home in the past which may be why she had concerns about the windows and opening them.

There's many unknowns we don't know.

Perhaps when writing to her, if you haven't already to thank her for her stay, think of how you would approach her if she was your own mum or grandparent in the same circumstances.

There's many who are going through mental wellness challenges in the world for all manner of reasons and heightened anxiety and it may well have taken courage for her to venture back into an area she once resided in.

Some places as we all know have rapidly changed in 14 years which can be quite a shock for some, others embrace them.

As we have all been told in the last 18 months, 'Be Kind'

All the best from across the oceans and lands in Auckland, New Zealand