Refusal to pay for damages to rental

Refusal to pay for damages to rental

I have a claim into airbnb for damages.  After reading the posts in the community center I am now giving up on getting any help.  I had a guest have a fire in my oven and sprayed fire retardant in the gas stove and it was unusable and corroded.  I had to purchase a new stove.  Then with the fire retardant exploding thorough out the space it took 20 hours to clean it.  They are not paying for the extra cleaning.  It ruined the air conditioner, made the fire place unusable due to retardant in the fireplace.  Had to have that cleaned.  They stated that the stove was to old to pay for.  It was 10 years old. It might have lasted another 5 - 10 years.  I have the vendors to pay and the cleaning crew.  It is a claim for over $5700.00.  I see that at one time there was talk about a class action suit against airbnb.  Wondering if that ever happened. I have not had problems before and after 10 years as a host and the last 5 as a super host you would think they would pay attention to the host community and their response to their lack of service, lack of availability to speak to a claims representative or  community service is awful.  I  have had emails back and forth with their excuses of non payment citing their policies and procedures.  Bunch of crap!  So I hope some of you have felt better as I do just telling the rest of the host community you cannot count on airbnb.

[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Don-And-Brooks0 This experience just shows the importance of people taking out proper insurance. Any depreciated policy will not pay out on a 10 year old item even though in reality they have years of life left in them.

I don't have an issue with Aircover per se as it is clear in the small print what it covers. I do have an issue with how Airbnb advertise it with no disclaimers or even reference to the small print.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Don-And-Brooks0  Did you file a claim with your personal insurance company?  With damages as extensive as what you have posted, you should file with your own insurance company.  They have the deep pockets and lawyers to be able to go after AirBnB and attempt to be reimbursed by the guest or the company.

IMO, Aircover is not real insurance, and hosts should not rely on it.  You do not receive a policy with your name and property listed on it -- it's about as **** as the insurance sold by the airlines and other OTAs.  Looks good until you try to make a valid claim.