Bathroom Remodel - Ditching a Tub for a Shower?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Bathroom Remodel - Ditching a Tub for a Shower?

Hello all! We are going to be remodelling the bathroom in our primary Airbnb space in March, and we are thinking of getting rid of the bathtub and replacing it with a walk-in shower only. Have you done this, or do you have an Airbnb apartment that only has a shower? I've stayed in them, and I personally like it. Our bathtub is nothing to write home about, and we don't really get many families staying, so I don't think it's ever used as a tub. Most of our guests are adults who are visitng the area for winery tours or weddings. Our secondary Airbnb also has a walk-in shower, but there are two bathrooms and the other one has a tub so it's less of a concern.

I'd love any feedback: is this a bad idea? Is this a good idea? Would it put you off staying with us?

Here are a couple of pics to give an idea of what it's like now.

Bathroom.jpgBathroom 2.jpg

73 Replies 73

@Alexandra316 - thought I'd pass along some good links while you are making some decisions about the remodel.  I don't endorse any of the design companies per se since I've never used them, but they do have good tips : 

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/64-important-numbers-every-homeowner-should-know

https://www.houzz.com/photos/bathroom/size--compact/p/8 (they even tell you the details of the pictures so you can buy and source the materials) 

https://www.decorist.com/ (someone will design your space for you)

http://autocraftva.com/design-for-small-bathroom-with-shower

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=small%20bathroom&rs=typed&term_meta[]=small%7Ctyped&term_me...

L-Kahlil0
Level 2
Oakland, CA

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Lizzieand @Alexandra

In addtion to my previous post, here goes the pics (bathroom before and after).

Before renovation, with late 1950´s  bathtubBefore renovation, with late 1950´s bathtub

Bathroom now, with only glassed shower boxBathroom now, with only glassed shower box

Washbasin changed to the opposite wallWashbasin changed to the opposite wall

bathroom-5.jpg

Wow, that's really nice @J-Renato0! Beautiful job. Love that feature wall.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What a difference that has made, it looks a completely different room. Amazing @J-Renato0! 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Alice-and-Jeff0  @Huma0 I tried to create a Pinterest board, but I just couldn't find pictures to put on it that matched what I'm going to do. I'm keeping the exisitng vanity and toilet for now, as they look good: I'm just replacing the mirror and shower. The ceiling will also be torn down and replaced with standard drywall.

Here's a drawing of what I intend to do, along with the hardware I've chosen to do the job. I think it's going to look really clean and modern.  

The tiles are large: 1 ft x 2 ft. 

The chevron pattern is 6" high. 

The grout will be a light grey, so the chevron pattern wil stand out a bit. 

Bathroom sketch.jpgTile choices.jpgShower Head.jpgShower base.jpgShower doors.jpg

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alexandra316

This looks great. I like the chevron tiles. I'm sure your guests are going to appreciate this luxury showering experience!

@Huma0 thanks! Hopefully so. It should be nicer than what's there anyways. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw this is really exciting @Alexandra316, I love seeing the whole project developing. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks @Lizzie. It starts (and finishes!) next week. I'm excited, and I hope the guests like it.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oo big week ahead then @Alexandra316

I really look forward to seeing what it looks like, I am sure your guests will really like all the work you have done. I am sure you will enjoy adding new photos to your listing as well. 

I hope all your plans go smoothly and goodbye bath! 🙂

--------------------

@Lizzie I jokingly mentioned to my husband last night that it's the last time he's ever going to clean that bath. I'm not going to repeat what he said here :-).

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe @Alexandra316, this did make me chuckle! I wonder if you could make the bath into a garden sculpture with a few plants, as a nice memory for your husband! 🙂

--------------------

@Lizzie I'm sure he'd love that ;-).

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Good luck this week @Alexandra316 with your project. I hope it goes well...I can recommend taking regular tea breaks! 🙂

--------------------