Before and after pics

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Before and after pics

I'm an enthusiastic interiors buff and renovating my house has been a long-term labour of love and, I realise now, will always be an ongoing project. I'd therefore be really interested to hear from other hosts who have renovated their Airbnb properties and see before and after pics if you have them, or just hosts who have plans and ideas for future projects.

To start it off, here is one of the guest rooms in my house, BEFORE:

4891_101897216882_3248926_n.jpg

and AFTER:

2nd floor.jpg

I still haven't finished tweaking this room yet (the painted wardrobes for example), so there may be updates to come.

Please share your projects and plans!

233 Replies 233
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jake0

Thanks for sharing! 

I really love the brass kitchen and bathroom fittings you have chosen.

I recenty refurbished a shower room and a cloakroom (powder room) and wanted a polished brass in the shower room and an antique brass, like the one you have chosen, in the cloakroom. I was very disappointed at the lack of choice of affordable options for these as opposed to chrome, chrome, chrome, which is everywhere! I'm glad I stuck with my plan though. 

I think those nice fittings you have chosen make so much difference.

@Huma0 Oh yea AFFORDABLE options is the opportune word, what's amazing is all of those fittings I found on amazon and were incredibly affordable. "time will tell how they hold up" However, here is the kicker, I went to what was supposed to be a high end shower faucet store and asked them if they could find a similar faucet as the one I found on amazon, they sent me one that was pretty close with a price tag at $987.00 and all of the reviews were complaining about leaks and how the finish was chipping off after one month of owning it... the faucet I found was only $145.00

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jake0

I also saw a lot of those 'affordable' options but most were made in China and I was a bit vary of buying them as the builders were very against it. Anyway, there was no way they would definitely arrive in time for the builders so they weren't an option.

I also found similar looking ones from bathroom stores in the UK at the sort of crazy expensive prices you're talking about.

So, I had to get very inventive to find what I wanted at a price I could afford. I got there eventually (except for one specific tap that I needed that I just can't find anywhere except in a chrome finish, so it will have to stay chrome in the meantime).

I would say that while the antique brass fittings in the cloakroom are holding up well, the gold/polished brass ones in the wetroom are a complete pain to keep clean and free of watermarks!

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Huma0  ......

Huma, have a look at the guests cottage bathroom cupboards at the moment!!!

IMG20180122185408 b.jpg

By next Sunday the room will look outrageously good...I have been itching to do this for years.

As ever, I will keep you posted!

Cheers......Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4

Looking forward to seeing the outcome of this!

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Huma0The pile of rubbish that I pulled out of that small room continued to grow as everything behind the cupboards had a mouldy feel to it.

IMG20180123201414 b.jpg

I had only managed to block the cottage off for a week and this has been in the planning and approval stage for almost 7 months now! I was under so much pressure to be able to supply a workable bathroom/laundry to incoming guests I felt really daunted with just a week, so I decided to just do one wall and after these current guests leave I will tackle the double shower wall and I will have another week to be able to do that!

Anyway, once I got back to bare walls this is what I was faced with!

IMG20180122102949 b.jpg

IMG20180123122929 b.jpg

IMG20180123182256 b.jpgHuma, I am too old for this....I am too dis-organised, I kept on searching for tools I used 5 minutes before! I used almost 3/4 tank of petrol running the three kilometers from here to 'Bunnings' (hardware chain) everytime I needed something else or changed my mind, or had some other deviation to my plans forced on me by what I found! 

Anyway, I got my wall done! I made the end tall cupboard larger and the clothes washer is now in there and it is now a usable bathroom again.

IMG20180129164940 b.jpg

I made it but, by the skin of my teeth! I was still laying wall tiles 20 minutes before the current guests arrived.

I know I am getting away from the original concept of the property Huma, but everything here is eclectic and unexpected and everywhere throughout the property I have deliberately kept away from a specific theme.

Anyway, guests will let me know if it was worth it or not!

I will post the other end of the room when it is finished!

Cheers.....Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4

Wow, that does sound soooo stressful and you are right, there was too much to do in one week so you were sensible to split it into stages.

If it's any consolation, the builders I had in to do my new bathrooms recently were young men (the guy in charge was in his early thirties) and yet, they were constantly losing tools and materials or having to dash out to get something else they needed, or deal with a problem they hadn't foreseen, so don't worry, it's not just you!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Looks great @Robin4, what a difference. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I agree with you @Huma0 on the brass fitting, I love that they the tap back and still it looks so elegant. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Amelda2
Level 2
Grenoble, France

Huma, 

you are just doing a great job!

last year i did 6 appartments studio , designed by myself...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amelda2

Thank you! Do post some pictures on here of your renovation work, especially if you have some before photos. Would love to see your handy work.

Sara455
Level 4
Providence, RI

beautiful floors and of course that bed is something I wish I could justify the expense of. What drapes did u use they are very nice too, I like the way u hung them.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sara455

Thank you! The drapes in the bedroom are silk and in the living room they're a jacquard or brocade I think. Both rooms have high ceilings so these had to be made to measure as off the shelf ones aren't long enough.

Anne726
Level 2
Lillooet, Canada

Hi Huma. Great reno and the floor boards are lovely. We just joined Airbnb so lots to learn 

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I am SO glad to see you kept the old windows. Too many people incorrectly believe that new windows will add value and efficiency to their home and lose all its charm. Nothing better than that sparkle of old glass.