Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Coffee Options...Does anyone charge for Coffee? Is providing coffee worth the Hassle?

Answered!
Trapper0
Level 2
Brigham City, UT

Coffee Options...Does anyone charge for Coffee? Is providing coffee worth the Hassle?

First off, we are not coffee drinkers, so never really thought about it when we started hosting.  We have been hosting for over a year now and have had about 30+ guests.  So far only one has complained that we did not have a coffee maker.  I wanted to provide this as an option as I'm sure we get some coffee drinkers and there are no coffee shops near us.  I purchased a Keurig and some of the pods and I assumed I could charge for each pod, so the people who want coffee could just pay for it.  After looking around on the airbnb help and community, I don't think anyone charges for Coffee (or does anyone?).  

It looks like either coffee is provided and free, or it's not provided.  Also, I'm not sure if it's even allowed with Airbnb because they don't want you dealing in cash and it appears there's no way to pay for it through the website.  My concern is that this could get very expensive and time consuming and I don't want to raise the rate for everyone for those who want to coffee.  I also worry about the fact that I'm a coffee illeterate, that I won't provide the right cream, sugars, etc. and this might just be something for others to complain about.  I'm considering the following options.

Provide the Keurig to guests and charge them for the cost of the K-Cup Pods (if this is even allowed).  Also would people complain that the coffee wasn't free?

Provide the Keurig to guests but inform them in the listing that they must provide their own K-Cup Pods or grounds.

Keep things the same - Return the Keurig and just make it clear to guest that we have no coffee or coffee maker.  I assume if people know this in advance they can purchase their own instant coffee if they want it in the morning.   Again, after a year of hosting, we have had only one complaint.  I just worry if we don't do something, we may get more complaints in the future.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Top Answer

@Trapper0 - coffee snob here and would-be complainer if there wasn't coffee ..... 

Yes, provide coffee for free.

My advice:  get rid of the expensive Keurig.  Buy a cheap drip coffee maker (a Mr. Coffee) and provide ground coffee that people can make a pot for themselves. This will cost you pennies per pot (which is why offices provide free coffee - the expense is practically nothing). It doesn't have to be super fancy coffee either, but if you buy a really nice coffee jar and dump the grounds into it, it will seem fancy and it could be the cheap stuff.  You can provide sugar, ultra-pasterized creamer that doesn't go bad, and a few packets of a non-sugar substitute.  Most coffee drinkers will be FINE with this arrangement, they just need a little pick me up in the morning - it doesn't need to be an expensive add on.  Most coffee drinkers know how to use a basic drip maker, but you may need to provide some easy directions - will take you a few minutes to type up.  

The initial cost to set this up: maybe $50 total.  If it costs you another $50/year I'd be surprised.  

And, if you want the social capital, provide a countertop composting crock for the spent grounds and filter because these are the best composting material.  Then just dump it in your garden.  It's great for the soil.  (bought my bin at Plow & Hearth for $20).  

Although you can charge for pods if you want using the Resolution Center. Just make sure you announce it on your listing that there is a charge.  

If you want a list of what to buy since you aren't coffee drinkers, I'd be willing to provide one.  Just private message me.  

View Top Answer in original post

30 Replies 30
Angela3989
Level 6
Milwaukee, WI

@Trapper0 Since my rental is walking distance to some craft coffee shops, I keep it simple. I provide a Keurig and pods as well as a Mr Coffee machine with reusable filter so paper filters are not needed for those snobs who carry their own coffee. Non-snobs usually use the Keurig. I also provide mini-moos and non-dairy creamers, sugar and artificial sweetener all of which I got at a restaurant supply store in large size boxes to last a good year on a pantry shelf. I don't provide coffee grounds because I feel that the variety in the Keurig drawer (even teas!) is really enough and don't think the drop maker gets used much given the 2 cute coffee shop 1 block away. But no, I don't charge and think this is just one of those "cozy" things a good Airbnb should have in some form. Best of luck!