Difficult check-in -- grounds for small refund?

Difficult check-in -- grounds for small refund?

Hi all,

I'm a guest an Airbnb currently - I hope this is the right place to ask for any views ie for guests as well as host.

My host lives in another country and it seems has a neighbour who manages check-ins. The host provided the apartment number for me to ring on arrival (bell) or a phone number in the alternative.

Today I arrived at the accommodation for check-in at the agreed time, rang the bell a few times and there was no answer. As I'm in a new country as of today, I don't yet have a SIM here so couldn't call.

Eventually someone else leaving the building let me in the main door and I began to search for the apartment number the host had given me. However, it's an old building with several floors and most apartments didn't have numbers displayed. 

Eventually I saw someone gesturing at me and it was the host's neighbour. It turns out the host had given me the wrong apartment number (69 when it should have been 68) so that's why they didn't hear  me ringing the bell.

Further, the place is advertised as having a lift (elevator) but it's our of order, apparently will start working again this evening. So I had to carry.my heavy bag up to the 4th floor apartment.

The whole experience only took about 30 mins but still was inconvenient in a new country and city. The apartment itself is very nice and just like the photos.

What are people's views on me seeking a small refund eg $20 or so for my inconvenience? Am I justified or being a scrooge?

Thanks for reading!

Ian

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ian48580 I vote scrooge (but I am a host)

Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Ian48580 

I think these issues are usually rather mentioned in the review, but it is a matter of judgement. I would associate refunds with serious issues or changes to accommodation dates. Hope it helps!

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Ian48580 stuff happens, and not every inconvenience in this world can or should be monetized. I don't think this qualifies as refund-worthy. As others have mentioned, serious issues such as amenities not available or working, an unclean place, or not being able to check in at all might qualify. 

I'm sure the host feels bad, and hopefully has apologized for the inconvenience. 

You may want to mention it in your review, or possibly choose 4 instead of 5 stars for the check-in rating, but overall, if the place is nice and as described, I'd leave it at that. 

Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Ian48580 

My suggestion when something is an irritation because of  stupidity is to wait a few  hours  so  my  irritation is a  little toned down.   Then  yes he gave you the  wrong apartment number.Probably because he just wasn't paying attention to what he was doing not because he had a sick sense   of humor and thought you  ringing the wrong  bell funny.  He didn't break the lift and it is being repaired. 

A minor irritation I would just keep in my pocket.  I   don't want a $20 bill if I do something stupid like lock myself out.

If there is a minor irritation daily then I   am going to discuss more than $20.

Bronwyn100
Level 8
Hardys Bay, Australia

At my age I would be unable to lug my bag up stairs. Yes you have a right to a refund but I doubt you’ll get it and reflect your disappointment in your review so other guests don’t get caught out. 

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

You should definitely be partially refunded for your inconvenience. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would ask for a refund for the lift not being working so a small discount for every day it's not working but not for check in issues which you can mention in your review @Ian48580