EV charger for rental

Answered!

EV charger for rental

Thinking of adding an EV charger to our rental and looking for recommendations for best charger and payment App.

thanks

1 Best Answer
Felicity11
Host Advisory Board Member
Manly, Australia

Hi @Tim4190 

Welcome to the community. 

I love that you want to get an EV charger for your place. I am a host and an EV driver however my property does not offer off street parking so as much as I would like to offer an EV charger to my guests at the moment this is not an option.

As a guest who travels on Airbnb and drives an EV one our key search criteria is for an EV Charger.

Currently, we find that not many homes have EV chargers, so I think if you have an EV charger, you have the opportunity to set yourself apart from others' homes. I am also more than happy to pay to charge my car, as I do not see this as something that should be offered for free to a guest.  

We have found homes to stay in that have allowed us to trickle/slow charge our car by simply using a three-pin plug, and then we have calculated how much we have used and given the host cash for this.   I have, however, recently come across a very simple and cost-effective way to offer trickle charging to guests, which looks like a very cost-effective way to then pass on the costs to guests.  It is a company called Alchemy Charge that offers an outdoor standard 3-pin plug with some tech wired in behind it that connects to an app that you control.  When a guest wants to charge their car using this plug, they download an app from a QR code and load up their details, including a credit card, and then once they are set up, the plug unlocks, and the car will be able to charge up. The owner sets the price for the power passed to the guest.   So far, this is the most cost-effective product I have seen to set up EV charging for guests and be able to pass on the costs.  There is no need for an expensive level 2 charger and any need for costly electrical upgrades other than the cost to rewire this plug in.   

Have you found any other options in your search that look promising?

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

It would get very little use.

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

@Tim4190 There is an offer through ABB with Chargepoint. I ordered and got a $200 discount.
As we have two EV this will come in handy for us and may be a benefit to those researching places that offer it. In northern CA there are more and more EVs. This could pay for itself in the long run.

At least in the beginning, we don’t plan to charge. I’ll see how often it gets used

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Tim4190 , a very warm welcome to the Community 🌻

While we wait for Hosts to share their suggestions, I wanted to share a few posts where Hosts discussed the topic of EV chargers. Hope they're insightful in your research in the meantime :  

I'm also tagging some members who've discussed EV chargers previously if they can help us with your question : @Cheryl252 @Ben205 @DragonFly-Cottage0 @Kate1651 @Nili23 @Lisa723 @John7759 🌻

Looking forward to all the amazing piece of advices from Hosts.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Kate1651
Level 2
Redding, CA

@Tim4190 We provide a level 2 charger. It’s listed as $15 per night (not based on booked stay, based on how many times the guest plugs in). I bill the guest after the stay through requesting money for extra services. 

We have an EV anyways, so even though it doesn’t get a lot of guest use, it’s a nice amenity to offer to appeal to more people. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thank you so much @Kate1651 for joining us in this conversation! 😍 

Which EV charger brand do you use? It will help other members with some trusted recommendations🌻

-----

John7759
Level 2
Bakewell, United Kingdom

Hi @Kate1651 -

I have an Easee EV charger installed at our self catering holiday cottage - It creates an invoice when charging is completed which forward to the guest via email or text - Payment is made by bank transfer or card ….. it all works very efficiently -

John

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks so much @John7759 for the suggestion 💡! So helpful. Do you mention it in your listing descriptions before hand about the charges related to the EV charger? 

-----

John7759
Level 2
Bakewell, United Kingdom

Hi Bhumika -

Yes, I show the availability of the EV charger in our listing -

It doesn’t get a lot of use, probably once a month on average but it’s a facility worth having -

John

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Totally, it's so nice to hear you give so much thought into sustainability and EV chargers as a worth-have amenity! Thank you for sharing  @John7759 😍!

Hope to see you more and please keep sharing your experiences and recommendations in the Community such as these🌻🤗. Delighted to hear from you! 

-----

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

I love that you have a charger. Does it get a lot of use? @Kate1651 

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

oh and I am curious - how do you let guests know that you have a charger and that there is a cost to use it?  Is this in your listing details? and or photos or house rules?   @Kate1651 

I have EV Charger in my listing title, I provide details in my listing description, and have a photo of the larger with details as well. 

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Hi @Tim4190 

Welcome to the community. 

I love that you want to get an EV charger for your place. I am a host and an EV driver however my property does not offer off street parking so as much as I would like to offer an EV charger to my guests at the moment this is not an option.

As a guest who travels on Airbnb and drives an EV one our key search criteria is for an EV Charger.

Currently, we find that not many homes have EV chargers, so I think if you have an EV charger, you have the opportunity to set yourself apart from others' homes. I am also more than happy to pay to charge my car, as I do not see this as something that should be offered for free to a guest.  

We have found homes to stay in that have allowed us to trickle/slow charge our car by simply using a three-pin plug, and then we have calculated how much we have used and given the host cash for this.   I have, however, recently come across a very simple and cost-effective way to offer trickle charging to guests, which looks like a very cost-effective way to then pass on the costs to guests.  It is a company called Alchemy Charge that offers an outdoor standard 3-pin plug with some tech wired in behind it that connects to an app that you control.  When a guest wants to charge their car using this plug, they download an app from a QR code and load up their details, including a credit card, and then once they are set up, the plug unlocks, and the car will be able to charge up. The owner sets the price for the power passed to the guest.   So far, this is the most cost-effective product I have seen to set up EV charging for guests and be able to pass on the costs.  There is no need for an expensive level 2 charger and any need for costly electrical upgrades other than the cost to rewire this plug in.   

Have you found any other options in your search that look promising?