Fragrance in Rentals

Answered!
Kylee27
Level 1
Hamilton, MT

Fragrance in Rentals

I’m wondering if anyone uses air fresheners in their spaces. I Co-host duplex units and the bottom units always smell like food, I want them to smell clean and relaxing. Any advice? 

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Kylee27 Invest in a commercial grade Ozone machine to run after housekeeping and prior to the next guest arrival.  They are readily available (under $100) on Amazon and do an AMAZING job of ridding your properties of residual odors.  Depending on the size of the unit, it may take just one or two hours to clean the air.  I have found that as I use the machine with regularity, I do not have to run the machine for very long any more for a great result.  

Many guests are very annoyed by the smell of air fresheners and may think that you are trying to hide something unsanitary.   I personally find them quite nauseating.  That also goes for overly scented laundry products.

If your bottom units smell like food, where is the kitchen stove venting to?  Or is there no venting?  Is there shared duct work between the two units?  You may want to investigate further.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Kylee27 Invest in a commercial grade Ozone machine to run after housekeeping and prior to the next guest arrival.  They are readily available (under $100) on Amazon and do an AMAZING job of ridding your properties of residual odors.  Depending on the size of the unit, it may take just one or two hours to clean the air.  I have found that as I use the machine with regularity, I do not have to run the machine for very long any more for a great result.  

Many guests are very annoyed by the smell of air fresheners and may think that you are trying to hide something unsanitary.   I personally find them quite nauseating.  That also goes for overly scented laundry products.

If your bottom units smell like food, where is the kitchen stove venting to?  Or is there no venting?  Is there shared duct work between the two units?  You may want to investigate further.

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

The only way for a unit to smell clean and relaxing is to clean it. A clean space smells nothing @Kylee27 . Air fresheners are a no go and highly toxic and should not be present in any home or rental. If a place has a funky smell to it, find the grounds for the funky smell and eliminate it.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mariann4 

Clean is not a 'One size fits all' solution Mariann. I list in an old building with a library of about 1,000 books, some of them dating back to the nineteenth century.......IMG20181128175719.jpgTry as I might old books smell musty, particularly during the winter months.

I agree with you artificial air fresheners are not the answer......they mask the problem.

But my situation is, I either get rid of the books or, guests have to tolerate the musty smell that goes with them. I point this out to guests and they accept that.

It's a bit like saying, 'the property smells like a horse yard' when its in the middle of a rural farm setting.

Some things just go together, and in reality Mariann, there is not much that can be done about that!

How is that garden of yours coming on Mariann, I would just bet it looks a real picture!

Cheers........Rob

Appreciate your advice. The units are brand new builds and cleaned very well, they have a unit above them and when they cook the smells come down into the bottom units. When the units sit without guest the scent lingers. Hoping for an idea to help block scents from surrounding units, unfortunately I can’t eliminate the other units. 

@Kylee27 It sounds like the units have  been built wrongly. I wonder if the outlet from some units is next to the inlet of your unit.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Kylee27 You have an important question here for sure. Since so many folks are sensitive and have allergies and more any synthetic smells/fragrances are as many hosts have already said highly discouraged. 

As a retired massage therapist and aromatherapist for over 20 yrs I worked and studied continually to find the best solution to your question while offering therapy to patients over 15 yrs. There's a big difference in 100% Essential Oils and fragrances and that is the problem. Also, Essential Oils are plant based and have been used for centuries for their health and healing properties. They have an impact on us, our moods sometimes and certainly the air we breathe. 

I used Essential Oils/Aromatherapy for my patients and a diffuser in my place all those years. I decided long ago the one Essential Oil that seemed most loved, tolerated and lifted moods and was used also in businesses across the world- a fact many folks don't know - Peppermint Oil in a very small amount (drops) diffused into a space is fresh, clean, and loved by pretty much all. Its so lovely to have guests walk in and say "Oh, that smell is lovely, Wow" ....or get a private message, what is that you clean with - I want to have that in my home too, Is it some kind of peppermint?. Many many requests from guests. 

Many folks hate Lavender, Orange and Eucalyptus and many other oils. Also, many are very sensitive  to Eucalyptus and Pets are very sensitive to smells (they have 200X the smelling capacity and sensitivity) It can prove dangerous for pets and infants. Pregnant women also, Lavender seems the only essential oil that is really OK for them during pregnancy. 

So when folks see those $2 bottles of fragrances or someone says boil water and put some of those things in the water - beware. for many of us headaches come quickly. 

On the other hand, a tissue with 2 drops of pure 100% essential oil of peppermint tucked in the blinds can release a lovely subtle scent that can be enjoyed. Also, a couple drops in a bowl of water put into a microwave just 20 seconds and put on the shelf is nice. The key is a little goes a long way. Or Less is More! 

I hope this is helpful. Also, any pure essential oils must be blended with lotion/cream/water or something when used...not direct on the skin always mixed with lotion/cream to be safe! 

What I have used to eliminate foul smells in our airbnb / body odor or warmed up fish smells....a bowl of white vinegar heated up 30 seconds and put in the space will absorb the smell quickly. I do several bowls half vinegar/half water....it works. 

So many hosts talk about ozone and that is the magic trick, I suppose. But presents a danger as it can't be used with people or pets while running and takes some hours and should be aired out after use. I fear some are in a hurry and don't follow those guidelines and that is scary to think about. We don't know what the health issue it would present to a host/cleaner/guests if improperly used or safety is disregarded. Unfortunately, many forget #1 should always be Safety, my opinion! Happy Hosting to you! Best, Clara

I ensure my Airbnb is cleaned and disinfect when cleaning,  afterwards. I wipe down and spray the cloth chairs, curtains where order may linger with disinfectant. Cleaning is key to order control. 

Unfortunately cleaning isn’t enough. It’s smells that are coming from surrounding units. So appreciate your advice though! 

Brandy156
Level 1
Oregon, United States

Spray and clean with white vinegar.