HEPA filters used to monitor for Smoking / Vaping

Rachel2842
Level 2
Fletcher, NC

HEPA filters used to monitor for Smoking / Vaping

Hello all, I'm looking for feedback about use and limitations of the recording air quality inside rental units.

I noticed my new Dyson fan with HEPA filter has a function to show the last 24 hours of air quality. The device even shows the particulate size and there is a graph of the 24 hours prior showing when levels were high and how quickly they went up or down. Particulate size even provides a reference for what the air was contaminated with.

There are no audio or visual recording devices in the fan. The fan does however record/save the air quality. Some of the more advance models even have applications to receive live time alerts from the fan.

My questions arose after I had a guest leave early today. They were asked to leave after bringing pets to a non-pet rental and failing to pick up the pet waste. The guest notified me after they had been asked to leave that they smelled smoke outside. Once they vacated the unit I checked the filter and will post a photo showing the image. It showed green/clean air upon their check in and a spike to red/very high levels after they arrived. They left the unit after 1.5 hours. I checked the filter about 30 mins after they left and noticed the reading were still yellow. I didn't smell smoke inside but did notice a slight dog smell (I am very sensitive to that).

Does anyone think air quality recording is a violates the guest right to privacy?

Could this be used to prove smoking/vaping?

Thank you for your input and for your support in helping us all be better hosts/guests!

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 12.08.24 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-25 at 11.14.21 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-26 at 12.10.23 AM.png

1 Reply 1
Greg2406
Level 10
Rockport, TX

@Rachel2842 

Multiple other filters on the market that will do a much better job, some even wi-fi and that will notify you if it detects cigarette, vape, or a host of other smokes.   Google;  'What is a good detector for rental space' and the list will populate the first page.