Hello, my introduction here.

Michael8116
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Hello, my introduction here.

I'm new here and getting familiar with everything takes a while and is quite involved. Now that I'm getting an understanding, I had questions with regards to one of my listings. I have 2. 

I'm finding that my 2000 sq. ft. industrial warehouse space converted in luxury loft has no obvious category. I could possibly use some advice or suggestions for me. 

I'm also a content creator, and know that Airbnb has had issues with people using spaces for that purpose, but I'm interested in attracting that audience, so I'm looking for input on that topic as well. 

Lastly, I have no idea if this is possible, but I wanted to offer my space with two or more options, the most affordable meaning you rent my lower level and my spare bed, and the second renting the entire space, sleeping in the master bedroom. I don't know if I've seen an example of that yet.

Thanks in advance to anyone who'd love to comment and offer their opinion.  

10 Replies 10
Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Michael8116, I hope you're well 😊.

Welcome to the Community Center! I'm going to tag some lovely hosts who may be able to share some advice @John7474@Bettye6 and @Fred13 

Good luck with your hosting journey!  

Best wishes,
Sophia 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Michael8116  Here we go.....with regard to your camper, I don't think you're allowed to list on AirBnB. I'm pretty sure that any camper/RV listing has to be stationary. There are so many liability and other issues with you attempting to rent your camper to someone that has to drive it, hook it up, etc. You should really check with the AirBnB rules to see if you are breaking them. I can only imagine how messy that could get if somebody actually rented it, had an accident, got injured, etc. I would proceed with extreme caution. (Actually, I wouldn't proceed)

As to your loft space...there is a way to do what you're trying to do. You make two separate listings, one for the bedroom and one for the whole place. You have to link the calendars so you won't get double-booked. 

You should also correct in your description that you've said the guest is renting the entire downstairs space, but sharing it as well. They are renting a room and private bathroom, and the rest is shared space. You will find with guests that you have to be crystal clear, or they have grounds to complain to AirBnB and seek a refund, which they WILL do. 

That being said, I think it's highly likely that you will somehow run afoul of the AirBnB party ban with this loft space. You should remove the word "parties" from your description of the theatre room. It seems like you're more interested in renting this space for creating content, but partiers are going to jump all over this space, and there are likely more appropriate places for you to advertise it as commercial space. I do realize that you've said you'll be at the location, but "almost anything can be negotiated" will lead to problems. 

I realize that you're a creative person and content creator, but I think your pictures could definitely use improvement. I don't get a sense of the entire place or how it flows. 

This is meant to be helpful, and I hope you'll receive it as that. Good luck. 

@Kia272 there are several RVs on Airbnb in Derbyshire UK so as long as @Michael8116 can figure out insurance/liability I guess he should be fine.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Yes- RVs and campers are allowed if they are stationary. I believe they have to have a permanent spot. I don't believe AirBnB has the option to rent one that you have to tow away on your own. That's what the Internet is telling me, and I believe everything I read on the Internet 😄

@Kia272 the ones in Derbyshire have engines and travel

@Mike-And-Jane0 I can't imagine that the rules are different in the UK, but if they are,  so be it. I can't imagine risking something of great value, and relying on the driving skills and practical skills of a guest. 

I know it's not allowed here in the US. There are sites for RV rentals, so I don't know why a host would list on AirBnB. Go figure. 

What I see in the AirBnB rules is that it has to be in a fixed location. 

@Kia272 I guess that when Airbnb get around to verifying their listings they will disappear.

Then they are operating against Airbnb's T&Cs @Mike-And-Jane0 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Fascinating post. Smart of you at this stage to entertain the broadest of ideas and run them through others for their impression. Mine with both offerings is that it would work depending on approach, and dedication on your part. One never looses by trying one way and changing along the way.

The first offering, the 'warehouse loft', I would think it would appeal to an avant garde clientele which is a distinct departure from the mainstream Airbnb type I have encountered in 9 years; i.e. the mere mention of a 'warehouse' may thrill the first type but spook the latter, unless they are assure by a picture of said 'warehouse', and its surroundings.

I mentioned dedication, because I get the impression you are also hoping for a certain clientele (a creative lot) but also appealing to everyone else. Most places on Airbnb are usually (or best be in the long run) dedicated to a specific clientele via price, style or location if not from them outset but eventually.

The RV offering also is also most interesting. The RV type of traveler is a distinct breed and know what they are doing, ranging in NA from the big Class A's, class C's, standard pull-trailers to the get-away truck campers (which includes the small easy-to-tow type like the one you have and like Bumble Bees). I love the Airstream new version, so modern and windowed which is a distinct departure from their traditional 'cocoon' type of design for any weather and always with tiny windows. The one you have may do best in a booking agency like Glamping.com and such specific and pre-selected clientele, making whether allowed to be advertised in Airbnb or not a moot point. Because of the modern-day 'regulatory complexities' of RVing in NA, the small informal and park-anywhere type like your Airstream definitely has its market place.

The best of luck in your endevours.

P.S. I owned 14 RVs from 1972-2012, from Class A's to ultimately a get-away truck camper which brought me to Belize 14 years ago where I ended up staying. The picture of your little Airstream definitely brought back many great memories.

Peggy394
Level 2
Sherman, ME

I use Furnish Finders for renting out one level of my home and Airbnb for the whole house, two companies but works well for us.