Is cleaning the most import aspect of a property?

Is cleaning the most import aspect of a property?

I've been giving some thought to the importance of cleaning when it comes to guests, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this matter. While it's clear that cleanliness plays a significant role in property management, I'm wondering if it's truly the most crucial aspect. What's your take on this? Do you clean your own property? Do you pay somebody? Do you use a cleaning app? What are your ways to deal with your property's cleaning?

27 Replies 27
Ross869
Level 4
Navarre, FL

It is very important for good reviews. I clean my own but when I am out of town I have someone that I pay to do it. Having a presentable property is arguably one of the most important things you can pay attention to. If you manage your property from a different location, definitely pay for the cleaning from reputable sources. 

You're absolutely right. I'm not cutting corners when it comes to paying my cleaners. It's important to have someone you trust to do the absolute best job on your house. That's why I use Turno app to find my cleaners. They have a system of background checking and are official partners with Airbnb. You can visualize the progress of their job linked to the ratings of your property cleaning reviews.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wondered how long it would be before you promoted an app or product @Calvin173   😃😃😃

What do you mean? I thought these forums were supposed to say these kinds of tips and chat about daily STR stuff (such as apps and products). Sorry, didn't mean to make you upset!

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi @Calvin173 😊

First of all, welcome to the Community Center. I can see that you got a good number of replies to your questions from fellow members 👏

Were you able to implement any of the feedback to the current listing that you run with your wife? Would love to hear from you!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

What a warm welcome. Thanks!
I haven't implemented any specific tip, but all of them helped me to visualize better the importance of a clean place over other aspects, such as expensive amenities. We're growing our business, so I wanna speak with fellow hosts to discuss ideas and see how they run their business, cause I want to make Airbnb my primary source of income someday.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Are you thinking about becoming a host @Calvin173 ?

Already am. My wife and I run a business together. I'm just curious about people's opinion on this subject! Doing my homework hehe. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah your profile shows you as just being a guest @Calvin173 

Yes, we don't use mine

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Calvin173  Cleaning is everything.  Guests expect things to be absolutely pristine and sanitary and will let you or AirBnB CS know if they find an errant hair, a dust bunny, an enthusiastic spider, an escaped toast crumb, etc.  

You may think that I am joking, but having a really clean property is key to a satisfied guest and a great review.  

I have a housekeeper who does the cleaning, but I also clean the property myself.  This ensures that I stay aware of the time necessary to clean and that we can trade off as needed for our own vacations or jobs.  I purchase all of the cleaning products to be used, and my housekeeper advises me when to replace things like towels, sheets and kitchen/dining items.  

@Lorna170 I don't think you're joking at all, I agree with you. To me, cleanliness is also the absolute top priority. I'm surprised that's a unanimous opinion, since there are a lot of complaints about dirty properties on Airbnb!

Sophie2456
Level 3
Portland, Australia

Hi  @Calvin173 , I do all the cleaning myself as I am very fussy, my daughter, husband and son also help me too especially in the busy season. I think it plays a huge role as a guest and as a  host, it’s the most important and a priority for me, so I do my absolute best. We have an older home that’s dated, we don’t have any modern comforts and even though it’s a bit daggy for most people’s taste, it’s clean and cozy. I have noticed a lot of other new modern properties in our area loose ratings due to cleanliness and that in the long run affects future bookings. If guests feel comfortable with cleanliness then it leaves little room for complaints.

@Sophie2456 That's a very pertinent observation. I've never seen guests more annoyed by anything other than a dirty property.