Is my house an 'entire home' or a 'private room' stay?

Jenna85
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Is my house an 'entire home' or a 'private room' stay?

Hello!

I will be home less and less in the next few years. I have a cute guest room, have hosted many people through TrustedHousesitters (with good feedback), and live in a desirable location. I am considering listing on Airbnb--with access to my entire house, except for 1 bedroom and 1 office. The guest will have access to a bedroom, living/dining area, kitchen, patio, and back patio (it's a row home). 

I will do my best to declutter and depersonalize the space, but don't want to go as far as totally cleaning out my kitchen cabinets, fridge, etc. A lot of personal items will end up in the basement.

In my experience as a guest, an "entire house" Airbnb is almost always cleared out and the host doesn't live there. When I book "private room" stays, I fully expect there to be host items around and am fine with it.

Question: Where would my potential listing fit?

Big note: I have a cat (who will NOT be there at the time of stay) and will 100% disclose this info. I'm considering making it pet friendly...

4 Replies 4
Bronwyn100
Level 8
Hardys Bay, Australia

Sounds like you should look at Homestay.

Interesting...I'm looking into that. I can't tell if I'm supposed to be home during a stay or if a host can leave the place to the guest entirely. 

Ah:
"Yes, hosts are generally expected to be home during a homestay. The goal of a homestay is for visitors to share a local's residence and experience their daily life. Hosts can be individuals or groups, such as families, roommates, or friends, and can include traditional or non-traditional families. Hosts should be available to spend time with their guests, help them feel at home, and make the experience authentic and unique."

Suppose it's not for me then. 

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Jenna85 

On Airbnb people do offer what you are describing.

I have seen Hosts that rent out their private residency when not home note the following:

Many make their bedroom and office off limits but it is strongly suggested you lock.

Properly disclosed your private residency some guests just do not want that type of rental.

If your garage area will also not be available, again fine but disclose.

Because of allergies disclose that a cat resides with you when you are there.

Remember it is a a STR so strpping the living room of knick knacks is not as important as here are 2 empty cabinets for you to use here are 2 cabinets with some salt pepper some oil free to use and here is a refrigerated space for your use.