Is my house an 'entire home' or a 'private room' stay?

Jenna85
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Is my house an 'entire home' or a 'private room' stay?

Hello!

I will be home less and less in the next few years. I have a cute guest room, have hosted many people through TrustedHousesitters (with good feedback), and live in a desirable location. I am considering listing on Airbnb--with access to my entire house, except for 1 bedroom and 1 office. The guest will have access to a bedroom, living/dining area, kitchen, patio, and back patio (it's a row home). 

I will do my best to declutter and depersonalize the space, but don't want to go as far as totally cleaning out my kitchen cabinets, fridge, etc. A lot of personal items will end up in the basement.

In my experience as a guest, an "entire house" Airbnb is almost always cleared out and the host doesn't live there. When I book "private room" stays, I fully expect there to be host items around and am fine with it.

Question: Where would my potential listing fit?

Big note: I have a cat (who will NOT be there at the time of stay) and will 100% disclose this info. I'm considering making it pet friendly...

3 Replies 3
Bronwyn100
Level 8
Hardys Bay, Australia

Sounds like you should look at Homestay.

Interesting...I'm looking into that. I can't tell if I'm supposed to be home during a stay or if a host can leave the place to the guest entirely. 

Ah:
"Yes, hosts are generally expected to be home during a homestay. The goal of a homestay is for visitors to share a local's residence and experience their daily life. Hosts can be individuals or groups, such as families, roommates, or friends, and can include traditional or non-traditional families. Hosts should be available to spend time with their guests, help them feel at home, and make the experience authentic and unique."

Suppose it's not for me then.