Recommendation for Removing Stains from White Towels

Traci1
Level 7
York, ME

Recommendation for Removing Stains from White Towels

We've really struggled with removing makeup and other stains from our white sheets and towels and (finally!) found something that works... Out White Brite. If anyone is experiencing the same issues, I highly recommend!

41 Replies 41
Luke73
Level 8
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Dear @Traci1, I think I have encountered the same issue as yours. However, unfortunately, I couldn't find any way to remove completely makeup and stains from my white linens and towels even though I have tried so many detergent products as Tide, Purex, etc. I also try to find the product that you recommend like Out White Brite but I couln't find it in Vietnam. Therefore, I think it's pretty helpful if you can help me write the ingredients of the product 🙂 Thanks in advance

Traci1
Level 7
York, ME

May be easiest to link to the website where all the ingredients are listed: http://www.whitebritelaundry.com/products.php

I hope this helps!

Thank you for the tip and the link! I see White Bright OUT works for inorganic stains, like rust, iron, dirt and yellowing, when bleach and oxis are not effective. That's exactly the kind of product I need! I've been able to get out most other stains, but have struggled with the inorganic stains. Also, the website shows where it can be purchased. Great! I plan on adding it to my arsenal.

Kelly248
Level 2
Katy, TX

Thank you for the recommendation. I offer a basket of folded up gray wash cloths for makeup and also a package of moist makeup remover cloths. That does help keep my whites clean.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

@Traci1 Thanks for the tip- just ordered some from Amazon!

Deborah161
Level 1
Niagara Falls, Canada

Hello everyone.....

Recommendation for removing stains from white towels !

I have my own cleaning company business, I have cleaned for a living, and know what works and what does not,

to SAVE TIME and MONEY, as well as taking care of your HEALTH and your guests health and respitory system, I highly recommend

LEGACY OF CLEAN, it is a much SAFER CHOICE, it is A CERTIFIED BIODEGRADABLE  cleaning product.

It is cheaper than the chain stores or big box / dollar stores!

No phosphates or Chlorine = 100% Biodegradable

All products are without Volatile Organic Compounds

Both Dermatologist Tested and Allergy Tested

I am part of the solution, Instead of the problem

Changing the world, One household at a time.

To tackle STAINS, you can TURBO CHARGE your detergent with a detergent booster an all in one color safe bleach

Cloths come out WHITER, LIGHTLY SCENTED and BRIGHTER even in cold water, safer for the ENVIRONMENT and its CONCENTRATED so you use less and SAVE MONEY

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

I will say this - and @Huma0 will probably know what I am talking about (remember Dolly Blue, @Huma0?) - I use bluing in my whites. I know it does not remove stains but it is extremely inexpensive (Search for Mrs. Stewart's bluing on Amazon) ... usually about $5/8oz. Laundry goes yellow from the many minerals in the water. Bluing counteracts that and makes (believe it or not) white! You use around 2-3 drops in 1/4 cup water to disperse. Put it EITHER in rinse cycle or the rinse compartment on your machine (if you have front-loader.) when you wash whites. 

IT DOES STAIN THE RINSE COMPARTMENT at times, but you can dip a cloth in ammonia and wipe it away to get the bluing gone. Windex also works (ammonia, remember?)

IF you put to much in and you see "blue" on your items, they are NOT RUINED! DO NOT BLEACH - that sets bluing! Put 1/2 - 1 cup of ammonia to each gallon of water, put your items in that container, cover, soak 24 hours and wash with ONLY normal detergent afterwards. The blue tinge will be gone.

Bluing is tricky at first but all my guests (family and friends right now) tell me they cannot believe how white my whites are! I have dozens of quilts and white towels so it shows in my house! PS: Bluing is non-toxic!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jann3, how do you know about all this stuff? You are like the cleaning guru!

Here's a question for you. How do you get ink stains out of sheets? I don't mean marks left by biro type pens, but proper black, inky splodges. Tried every stain remover under the sun, repeatedly, and they won't budge.

Q: How do I know about stain removers

A: I'm JEWISH! My mother taught me everything she knew about housekeeping once she found out I was gay! 😂 (kidding)

@Huma0, As for ink stains, there are several kinds of ink, therefore several things to try. MOST of which I learned from older BBC TV shows like 'The Victorian Kitchen', 'Victorian Farm' & Mary Berry. Yes, BBC Junkie here! So, one easy thing to try (believe it or not) is Milk. NOT long-life milk. That kills all the enzymes, and enzymes are gonna do the work. Go get a pint of regular pasturized milk. Pour it in a bowl. Get the section of the sheet with ink. Dip it in the bowl and keep it there for about 20 minutes. (do this on the counter or somewhere large enough to hold the rest of the sheet). After 20 min, swirl it around with a toothbrush or against a sponge. Then wash as per normal. This should've considerably lightened if not removed it. 

IF this didn't remove it, try EITHER rubbing alcohol or zippo lighter fluid. Pour it on the stain. Let it set 10 minutes, then wash. 

With both of the above methods wash with normal detergent in a cold water cycle. Hot water will set ink and make it harder to remove.

As a last resort try acetone or nail polish remover...but WATCH while it soaks. The minute it is gone, wash immediately so you dont hurt the fabric. DO NOT DO THIS ON SILK OR SATIN-style fabrics. It will tear them apart. It won't harm cotton...but if done near or on a seam it can harm the thread if left too long.

PS: As far as Dolly Blue goes, I found that from BBC Radio's "Ladies of Letters!" We (The United States) are a young country. We still learn lots of things from England (our parent country). One is stain removal. Think about it... the Tudor era to the 1600's had a LOT of farming and generally messy/dirty surroundings - so ya'll learned a LOT about stain removal. I just learned to watch things like "Tudor Monostary Farm" to learn how to remove them! 😊 The 'milk' thing regarding ink stains shocked me...but it removes Sharpie (magic marker) marks from my sheets...so it was worth it!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Well @Jann3 I am definitely going to try the milk thing. However, I think I'm too late as I've already boiled those sheets to oblivion trying to get the ink out so have probably set it forever!

Never mind. I will know for next time.

Yep, sometimes old fashioned remedies are the best. Not sure if I've ever tried Tudor ones but I'll be giving the 1940s vinegar spray a try.

Believe me... you may not like the Tudor ones... many of them consist of stale urine (ammonia) sieved through fireplace ashes to make liquid soap (it WORKS but wow, collecting and letting it go "stale" seems a bit adventurous)

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Also, several hosts mentioned leaving make up remover wipes in the bathrooms for guests. Sounds like a good idea, but personally I would avoid this for a very good reason.

A while back, I had a very badly blocked drain. It was the one coming from the toilet waste and the front of the house smelled of excrement, especially bad because it was hot weather at the time. Luckily my insurance covered this, but it did mean my premium went up the next year.

The cause turned out to be make up wipes repeatedly flushed down the toilet. I don't think the insurance would cover this kind of 'user error' twice.

Yes, I have in my house rules not to flush anything like that down the toilet and there are bins in the bathrooms, but people still do STUPID stuff. I don't want to have to put up signs all over my house which I think would be off putting to guests and also I've made a lot of effort over my decor, and DOs and DON'Ts signs would spoil all that.

I like the idea of grey coloured wash cloths, but I had some in light blue. They still get ruined by make up. Maybe it's not as obvious as on whites, but it's less easy to bleach the heck out of them than the whites.