Schlage Encode Plus

Drew2062
Level 2
Denver, CO

Schlage Encode Plus

I'm looking to replace my Yale Assure SL lock because it never generated codes automatically/integrated with Airbnb. I have another Yale lock that does this with no problem at all.

I'm really interested in the Schlage Encode Plus as I have read somewhere that it now automatically generate codes when paired with Airbnb (versus having to subscribe to some service like Remotelock to make this happen).  Can anyone confirm that the Schlage Encode Plus does this? I really don't want to have to subscribe to an additional service to have this feature.

10 Replies 10
Drew2889
Level 2
Plano, TX

@Drew2062 Hi other Drew! I am a Home Automation Installer and I have hear that the Schlage Encode is the only Schalge model to accomplish what you and I are looking for. Although no true proof yet. I am assuming you would have to add/link the Airbnb account within the Schlage App (Which needs an overhaul) similar t the way the August App functions...

-Drew Darrow Multimedia

Is there a current solution that allows direct integration with Schlage Encode and AirBnB? 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Drew2062,

I use the Schlage Encode, and chose to pair it with Amazon Key so I can manage passcodes, because the app is more user friendly that Schlage's.  Although passcodes can be automatically generated, I prefer to manually create them by using the last four digits of the guest's phone number.  It makes it easy for them to remember, and has eliminated messages from guests asking for the code again, because they can't find (probably didn't look for) the message with the code.

@Debra300 @Drew2062  I found an online service that integrates with Airbnb, Vrbo, etc. and can also connect to the Schalge Home app and you can assign which locks go to the Airbnb property and therefore get code automatically generated for Airbnb guests. It can generate randomly, or use last four of cell #. It also automatically deleted code for you post check-out. I am working with their Tech Support to get the same codes sent to all locks on the property (it's supposed to, but right now it's broken and only sending to primary/1st lock I added.) I'll post back if this becomes a viable resource.

(The service also manages multiple  calendars and automates emails with welcomes, instructions, directions, house rules, etc. It could be amazing but they are not quite where they need to be to work seamlessly enough for me to recommend to my clients yet.)

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Drew2889,

Thanks for sharing this information.  Let us know how it turns out.  I doubt that I will use this service, because I rent my apartment long-term, and need to generate a passcode just a few times per year.  Also, when you connect your calendar with a third-party service/site, Airbnb automatically changes the service fee payment meyhod to host only (currently 15% in the US), and the only option to return to split service fee is to disconnect the service. 

@Debra300 @Drew2062 

I've been using Schalge Encode for past two years with Remote Lock service. I just wanted to point out that there is no change to how Airbnb collects its service fees when a host integrates a smart lock with Airbnb. There are a bunch of other automated key code services that integrate with Airbnb. I recall Airbnb featuring a host who wrote his own code that used the last four digits of the guest phone number. I have been very pleased with Schalage Encode and Remote Lock service. It is a paid service, $6 per month, and I plan to keep it. This is my second Schalage, and I've used both Wink and Vera smart hubs. The software for both laptop and phone, do everything. It also has a green check mark next to each guest when the code is programmed on the lock. Its common for locks and routers to have firmware updates that creats bugs, and the technicians at Remote Lock stay on top of it. So far it has worked flawlessly for every single guest for two years. The battery life is also very good. I'm at about 6 months and still at 90% so will just change them out. If I had any problems or bugs at all I would just use the Encode app to create each code manually but that would increase risk of human error. But this technology changes fast, so as long as its working without any problems, I'll keep using Schalage and Remote Lock.

What's the name of the integration service between Schlage and AirBnB?

any updates? can you recommend?

Which online service are you using please?

I am using the Schlage Encode Plus and can confirm that it does work with the Airbnb integration. You authorize Airbnb to have access to your Schlage account, and it generates an access code for every guest that is active only during their stay. It also notifies you when that access code gets used that your guest has now checked in. It works very nicely and I do recommend it.

I am probably in a minority in that I have more than one of these locks and I wish the Airbnb integration would add the access codes to all of them. It does not. I've had to write code myself to handle adding the code to the other locks. If you care about multiple locks, know that Airbnb, to date, only lets you designate one lock as your check-in lock and only that one gets the codes it creates.

Other than that one complaint, I'm very happy with the Airbnb integration. I also really like the Apple HomeKey use of the Encode Plus. I have to replace the batteries more frequently than I'd like, but it's not terrible and Airbnb gives notifications on the need to change batteries.