Level 1
Penzance, United Kingdom

Stripping beds

2019 when Covid was in full swing 

guests were asked to strip beds so to protect cleaners 

we are still living with Covid 

are hosts relaxing this request

i clean and agree with lots of  holiday letting companies 

it should remain in place to cut down the risk of spreading the  virus and not handle anything that's got bodily fluids which happens a lot !

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sharon1579 we have always stripped the beds and will continue to do so. You can wash your hands if you are worried about covid.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Sharon1579  The current host bashing in the forums is for hosts who ask the guests to do any type of cleaning prior to leaving.  Stripping beds seems to fall into this category.

We have always asked our guests to leave the sheets on the beds and the used towels in the shower.  I never saw the point of having the guest strip beds to avoid spreading the virus as I have to see the condition of the linens in order to treat them properly for stains.  I wear a mask and gloves and certain clothes when cleaning.  I protect myself in a way that is comfortable to me, and I don't ask anything special of my guests.

Do whatever makes you feel secure.  Your property, your rules.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

I don’t think the actual science supports this idea. Also you still have to touch the sheets… Hand washing is still the best defence. 

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

I didn't ask guests before Covid, then I did during.  I know we are still during as this will be around forever it looks like, but I disliked asking guests to do it as I don't think it is a job for them to do and as others have mentioned it is much easier to see and treat stains, so I changed back to not asking the guests to strip the beds.

I wear gloves and leave the property airing as long as possible before stripping the beds etc.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sharon1579 

That makes no sense. 

So the guests strip the beds and then what? Does the linen walk by itself to the the washing machine and insert itself in the drum?

The host or cleaners are still going to have to handle the bedlinen whether the guest strips the bed or not. Plus, the idea that COVID-19 is spread via touching fabrics has long since been discounted. It's an airborne disease, hence the guidance changing to wear a mask.

Ever heard the term 'hygiene theatre'? I am afraid that a lot of guests are no longer going to buy COVID-19 being an excuse for making them strip beds.

If it's something that concerns you, air the room first and wear a mask and gloves when removing the linens.