Triple sheeting versus doona/duvet covers

Elissa2561
Level 1
Grafton, Australia

Triple sheeting versus doona/duvet covers

Hi, I've noticed an increase in Australian hotels that use a triple sheeting method rather than having a cover on the doona/duvet. Google says it's more hygenic and efficient for housekeeping and laundering, and increased after covid for sanitary and labour shortage reasons. Has anyone experienced guest distaste for triple sheeting instead of doona covers?

p.s. triple sheeting is where the bed has a bottom sheet, and then the doona/duvet is sandwiched between two flat top sheets rather than wearing a slip-on doona/duvet cover. The 3 sheets are changed with every guest (with various approaches to how often the doona/duvet is washed or aired).

Apols if my question is what all the threads on "top sheets" are about - they seemed to be more about whether to use a top sheet under a doona/duvet with a slip on cover.

Thanks.

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Elissa2561 when I sleep I would guarantee to move too much to keep the duvet between the sheets. As such I would consider this practice unhygienic whatever Mr Google says.

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Elissa2561 

I have to agree with @Mike-And-Jane0.  I would not feel comfortable with just having two top sheets sandwiched between the duvet as there is nothing to stop the sheets from slipping off and then you are in direct contact with the unprotected duvet/doona! No thank you😉

Happy New Year!

Joëlle

@Joelle43 unprotected or unwashed duvet/duvet cover. Either way its not clever!

This sounds like a crazy idea. A top sheet under a duvet is bad enough, but another on top of a duvet is ridiculous. I would be far too hot, in addition to being uncomfortable. Duvets have removeable covers for a reason - so that they can be washed after each use. It's not difficult.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Elissa2561  My rental properties are located in the US.  My beds are made in layers with a fitted bottom sheet and a flat "top" sheet. The duvet insert is placed inside a slip-on duvet cover and is lightweight enough to be washed between every guest.  Washable cotton blankets may be added when temperatures drop. My goal is to provide hygienic freshly washed bedding for every guest.  

Hotels in the US have begun to use the three-sheet method, sandwiching the blanket or quilted duvet insert between 2 flat sheets.  I am aghast as I do not know when the blanket/duvet insert was last washed.  I WILL and I DO ask the hotel to remake the bed with a freshly washed blanket or duvet insert and cover.  (Yes, I am that guest).

IMO Google is wrong -- It may take a few extra minutes to place the fresh duvet inside a washed slip-on cover, but it is time well spent for preventing guest complaints.

Thank you for sharing your approach to maintaining hygienic bedding in your rental properties. I agree that ensuring freshly washed bedding for every guest is crucial for their comfort and satisfaction. Your attention to cleanliness sets a high standard for hospitality.

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Elissa2561 

@Mike-And-Jane0  @Lorna170  @Joelle43 

I am in the same vein of thought as other hosts here. I do not and will not triple sheet - ever. The wrapped doona/ duvet is not sealed and can be touched by the guest. 

I am in the tropics but use bottom and top sheet and a coverlet ( like a bedspread) and bed runner. These all get washed. I supply quick dry cotton blankets as well for ease of washing. 

When I’ve needed to use a doona, it is fully encased in a quilt cover.  All bedding gets washed.

Dear [],

We appreciate your perspective and understand that preferences for bedding can vary greatly. While some individuals find the concept of an additional top sheet over a duvet to be uncomfortable and warm, others appreciate the layered approach for its versatility and ease of maintenance.

The use of a top sheet, even over a duvet with a removable cover, can serve different purposes for different people. Some find it provides an extra layer for warmth, while others value it for its hygienic benefits.

We respect your preference for duvet covers that are easily washable, and indeed, that is a significant advantage. Our aim is to cater to a diverse range of preferences, and we always welcome feedback to better understand and meet the needs of our guests.

If you have any specific concerns or if there's a particular preference you'd like us to accommodate during your stay, please let us know. We want to ensure your experience is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

Best regards,

Hi there , 

at a beautiful Airbnb  rite now,

without a doona cover .

Quite frankly , I find this

cheap n nasty !

I would like a bottom sheet ( of course ) top sheet and a doona cover please . 

That’s not too much to ask ; it takes 1 minute to change a doona  cover . ( forma house maid and mother of three )
I would also like all to be laundered after each person .  Again , not too much to ask !

This is hygienic .
I would NEVER give a guest at my home a  doona without a doona cover ….. no matter how many bloody sheets under over or beside it!

I think this practice is absurd.

Cheers 

Christel .