Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Which amenities do you believe are under-rated, and why?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Which amenities do you believe are under-rated, and why?

Amenities for GuestsAmenities for Guests

Hello all,

It is a known fact that as a Host, it is important to keep your space updated with the latest amenities to attract guests and provide them with a memorable stay. 

However, often there are some amenities that are easily overlooked. Can you think of any amenities in your listing that might not have got enough attention but have made a significant impact on your guests' experiences? 

Some amenities that can often be considered underrated may include lighting, which can have a significant impact on the mood of a space. Soundproofing can also greatly enhance the privacy of guests. Many Hosts may feel that particular appliances or technologies, such as smart thermostats or high-speed Wi-Fi, are underrated and not fully appreciated for the value they bring.

Let us know your thoughts and personal experiences in the comments below. What amenity do you think is under-appreciated and why?

Bhumika

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

31 Replies 31

Not under rated but it is good to let guests know if you have a hair dryer, and or a blender.

Sanmeet0
Level 1
Pune, India

A fully stocked kitchen

My guests really like and comment on my little touches. Labeling everything, folding all the towels in a decorative way. 

Fruit baskets with season fruits 😋 

Yes! The snacks we provide is always a winner.

Dan-And-Casey0
Level 2
Columbus, OH

We're in an area where the main attraction is hiking outdoors, so when there's inclement weather, guests absolutely love having covered decks/porches that allow them to still access outside w/o getting drenched. 

It's also very hilly with some steep driveways, so having a relatively easy driveway is an underrated plus for some properties that guests don't realize they'll appreciate until they get there in person. 

Ryan3079
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

Everyone has commented on some great amenities. I'd add Roku tv as a big one for me. People seem to love the access to entertainment. Hot tubs are surprisingly desirable. I have guests that book my place specifically for the in-ground hot tub. A high end coffee maker seems to be a hit and I have had board games mentioned as a thing people want to see in the home.

Jonas314
Level 2
Middletown, DE

Everyone has commented on some great amenities. Just to add one that I get comments about all the time from my guests - a guest said to me yesterday - even your pillows are premium. Also I have a bidet instead of regular toilet  and that seems to get a lot of interest from guests.

thanks

Jonas

@Jonas314 I also have a bidet. How do you hi light that in your listing?

To be honest @Z27 , I don’t. I leave it as a surprise and it does wonders. Thanks

Jonas

@Jonas314 I agree quality linens and bedding  are a must! 

Letamnin0
Level 3
Easton, PA

My name is Letamnin amenities.

I do not believe in under-rated amenities.  I do know that every guests are unique in differences and should be treated accordingly.  

My experience as a guest was not pleasant experiences.  I booked based on the amenities listed for my needs.  On two occasions, iron was listed and upon arrival there were no iron board.  On both occasions,  host response was, "no other guest asked for iron", really but you listed iron so there should be a board.  I was furious because if it is incomplete do not list as amenities. 

So, at all times check your amenities before booking to ensure amenities are in proper working condition and not missing.

Lisle12
Level 2
Idyllwild-Pine Cove, CA

That is a valid point.  It is important to have what is itemized so there is no disappointment.  

My usual moto is under promise over deliver.  

Heather289
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

The best way for a Host to consider the amenities, is to stay in the place.    When I started staying in my Airbnb, when travelling with a suitcase, I added some extra things. 

1) Folding stands to put your suitcase on - these are great, as often people don't want to bend down to the floor, and don't always want to unpack everything 

2) Extra shelves in the bathroom - your guests will have toilet bags and cosmetics, and they need plenty of space to lay them out in the bathroom - I added more shelves after realising that you don't always want to put your toiletries in a bathroom cabinet 

3) Basics like salt, pepper, olive oil, foil, cling film, tea, coffee, sugar - I recently had a 2 week holiday in Spain staying in holiday apartments, and was shocked to see how many didn't even have salt.  It makes no sense to have to pack salt for your holiday, but without it, your breakfast eggs taste bland 

4) Quantity and location of sockets - I'm usually charging my phone, my extra battery pack, headphones, my laptop, etc - I need plenty of sockets and I need them by the bed, and not hidden behind a bedside table where I can't see them 

5) Kitchen cleaning items - I need washing up liquid, a scourer, a cloth for cleaning the kitchen work surfaces, a tea towel for drying up.   It is surprising how many holiday apartments don't have those things - or like one I stayed in in Spain, I was given One Sachet of washing up liquid, and that was for a three day stay - like, was I only going to wash up once??  

Lisle12
Level 2
Idyllwild-Pine Cove, CA

These are all great and love how you itemized.   I too have stayed at other Airbnbs and it helped to know what I wanted my guest to experience.  I was doing some renovations and staying in the home during that time which helped me to know what I wanted in the home.  That way you know first hand.  

Hannah1227
Level 2
Salem, MA

I’d say our most highly utilized amenities are the easily accessible charging stations and plug ins. And also it umbrellas.