renting non council approved "dwelling" sunshine coast

Nigel258
Level 1
Palmwoods, Australia

renting non council approved "dwelling" sunshine coast

I have 'shed' that we have built and lived in whilst building our house that is very cosy, great spot and has all amenities.

All approval processes have been followed within the sunshine coast council for a class 10 building (including plumbing and toilet), but not approved as a dwelling.

Is it possible to to Airbnb this?

I am having trouble trying to get any insurance company to give me any sort of legal liability insurance in this circumstance.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8
Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

Why isn’t it classified as a detached granny flat? The building is surely covered by your insurer. Airbnb I sure it while you have guests. 

Local council regulations only allow granny flats to be within 20 m of existing house,

i have 20+ acres and the shed is about 300m from house.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Not sure how it works in Australia but in the UK you need planning permission to use this type of building for commercial use @Nigel258 

Did you end up finding a way around this? 

With the current rental crisis it seems crazy that council isn't being more lenient on rules like this.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Nigel258 I am not sure that this would be covered by your insurer at all. Ask your own insurer. Airbnb only covers damage caused by guests , nothing else really. if you cannot get STR insurance for it then it is basically either not insured or considered an out building. one way to get around this would be to provide acess to facilities inside you own home I suspect unless it is already considered an 'illegal dwelling.' council restrictions may be a concern also in your area and safety concerns ...H

Hi @Nigel258 , I am curious the outcome of your question? I'm also wanting to become a host so keen to find out the requirements in a situation like yours.

Thankyou 

@Steph6173 No council approval for activity means you will not get public liability insurance.

I'm not concerned about council approvals as such but so not want to expose myself to the risk of having no public liability.

I think if Airbnb , hipcamp etc hosts were honest with their insurers a lot of these wouldn't exist.

I totally agree, not being covered by insurance in case of an accident is a huge risk.

It was suggested to me that,

The Landholders insurance covers the guests being on the property, & that airbnb's insurance insures the guests while in the dwelling.

Is this the same or different to your research/enquires?