Host Stories Contest 2016! *Now Closed*

Stories
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

Host Stories Contest 2016! *Now Closed*

[Updated] Launched back in November at Airbnb Open 2016, the Host Stories Contest is now closed. Thank you for all your amazing submissions, we look forward to announcing the winners soon!

To view the Contest overview see below: 

DETAILS

Share your story starting November 17, 2016. The contest deadline for submissions will be December 16th, 2016.

Submit stories or read stories. Learn more about the contest rules attached. Stories must have a minimum of 200 words and must contain a title.

*Updated: If possible, please include two photos with your entry (this is not a requirement for submission).

PRIZES

One 1st prize of $12,000 USD

One 2nd prize of $8,000 USD

One 3rd prize of $5,000 USD

SELECTING WINNERS

Winners will be selected based on the originality and creativity of the story submitted as well as the spirit of the submission in the way it relates to hospitality, social impact and experiences on Airbnb?

NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.  Open only to attendees, 18 or older, registered as a host user of Airbnb at the time of participation.  Skill contest.  Judges’ decisions determine winners.  Entry deadline 11:59:59 p.m. San Francisco time on 12/16/2016.  Submitted stories may be used by Airbnb for promotional purposes.  Additional terms apply.   See Official Rules below.

FAQs

Q: How many times can I submit a story?

A:  Please only submit one story.

Q: Can I edit my story submission?

A: You may not edit your story after submission.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of photos I can upload or video link submissions?

A: Not at this time. We look forward to what you have to share!

Still have questions? Feel free to post your questions in this thread and we will try to get them answered as soon as we can!

For full rules, see contest rules attached below.

Good luck!

172 Replies 172
Arti1
Level 1
Beaverton, OR

Having issues posting.

No option to upload pictures and no drop down menu for selecting topic.

Please help!

Arti

There is a little icon up top of a camera. Click on that and you can download your photos! It's easy!

Irene, thank you for reply.

i think some of us ( like me) are landing on the wrong page to submit our entries.

could you copy and paste the actual page you used to paste and submit your entry?

thank you so much.

i see you are in Taboga PAnama. I'm in Boquete. Hola!

Must be the ipad. I will try on a computer. 

I go to that link you sent, but there is no camera. 

Thank you!

YES - it was the IPAD. Cannot do it on IPAD. Need COMPUTER. 

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. SUCCESS!!!!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

And just to double-confirm, I have checked and the team have received your entry. Best of luck @Barbara371. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Arti1,

Sorry to hear you have had trouble with this. I just wanted to let you know, your story has reached the Stories team so it worked in the end. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lorri-and-Harry0
Level 2
Henty, Australia

I was 55 at the time and had a 75 year old lady with her much younger husband come to stay with us. The lady was immaculantly dressed, her make up and hair perfect at all times.

I got up around 7-30am threw my dressing gown on, no make up and hair uncombed. I went to the kitchen and got a cup of coffee then sat with our guests, after a few minutes the lady (who was as immaculate as ever) lent over the table and patted my hand and said "if it's any consolation my dear I ONCE looked as bad as you do" I sat there dumbfounded and her poor husband didnt know what to do.

Gary90
Level 2
Wichita, KS

I only attached one photo. Can I add the second one after I have already submitted the story?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Gary90,

Just to let you know, the Stories team have received your submission. You mention, that you would like to add another photo to your entry. 

I am afraid, it is not possible to review/edit your story now that you have submitted it, the only option is that if you post the image you wish to include, I can try and send it over. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thanks Lizzie. Here is an additional photo...hope you can forward or add it to my submission. This couple from Washington Enjoying the Studio C Speakeasy while entertaining the family. Ironically...both met as bartenders!

Gary20161124_193159.jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Gary90 for adding this here. I have sent it over, so all good now. 🙂 Best of luck with you story. 

Let me know if you would prefer this image to be moved from this thread here now. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Ros10
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

On November 14, 2016 New Zealand had a massive earthquake, 7.8 on the richter scale. It happened at midnight and woke the whole house including our European guests. They had never experienced an earthquake before, let alone such a terrifying one.

We kept talking via text and in person for several hours over the night as they were very shaken. It really broke the ice between us! 

The next day, our city experienced massive floods and the flat where they were staying had water pouring in through the walls. It was called a 100 year flood and we have never experienced anything like it before or since. Our close encounters with the guests continued as we needed a builder and spent hours mopping up and drying out carpets. Then their colleague couldn’t leave the city because of the flooding and he ended up staying too. So much drama in two days meant we got to know each other well, and there was so much warmth and grace. Travelling during a major disaster could have so many negative memories, but I believe our guests, while frightened, will remember this as a rich life experience and they are already saying they would like to come back next year!