Host Stories Contest 2016! *Now Closed*

Stories
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

Host Stories Contest 2016! *Now Closed*

[Updated] Launched back in November at Airbnb Open 2016, the Host Stories Contest is now closed. Thank you for all your amazing submissions, we look forward to announcing the winners soon!

To view the Contest overview see below: 

DETAILS

Share your story starting November 17, 2016. The contest deadline for submissions will be December 16th, 2016.

Submit stories or read stories. Learn more about the contest rules attached. Stories must have a minimum of 200 words and must contain a title.

*Updated: If possible, please include two photos with your entry (this is not a requirement for submission).

PRIZES

One 1st prize of $12,000 USD

One 2nd prize of $8,000 USD

One 3rd prize of $5,000 USD

SELECTING WINNERS

Winners will be selected based on the originality and creativity of the story submitted as well as the spirit of the submission in the way it relates to hospitality, social impact and experiences on Airbnb?

NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.  Open only to attendees, 18 or older, registered as a host user of Airbnb at the time of participation.  Skill contest.  Judges’ decisions determine winners.  Entry deadline 11:59:59 p.m. San Francisco time on 12/16/2016.  Submitted stories may be used by Airbnb for promotional purposes.  Additional terms apply.   See Official Rules below.

FAQs

Q: How many times can I submit a story?

A:  Please only submit one story.

Q: Can I edit my story submission?

A: You may not edit your story after submission.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of photos I can upload or video link submissions?

A: Not at this time. We look forward to what you have to share!

Still have questions? Feel free to post your questions in this thread and we will try to get them answered as soon as we can!

For full rules, see contest rules attached below.

Good luck!

172 Replies 172
CJ-And-Jack0
Level 2
Sevierville, TN

Is this story contest only open to attendees who will be at the event?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @CJ-And-Jack0,

Thanks for checking, no this contest is open to non-attendees as well. So if you didn't attend Airbnb Open this year, you can still enter your story. There are still a few days left to submit yours. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

It appears the first area that suggests to choose a topic does not work or allow you to add anything? 

Therefore it will not submit the story.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I have a great story and I can't share it because of this glitch. 😞

I found that using a computer rather than iPad or iPhone allowed me to post. Try it.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Christopher75,

Sorry to hear you were experiencing an issue with the submission form. I have just checked and your story has been submitted so it did work, hopefully that puts your mind at rest. Good luck. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Violet4
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi Lizzie: I just got an email from you saying you had received my story submission - the email was also sent to another commenter so can you reconfirm you got my story? I want to also say that I did add two photos but they're not of the guest I wrote about - many guests wouldn't agree to a photo anyway because of confidentiality reasons. I also didn't use my guest's real name in the story for that reason. But I did attach a couple of photos as you requested. Don't see many Canadians in this story contest but I had fun writing mine. Thanks a bunch.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for your reply @Violet4.

To confirm, yes we the team have your story - so all is well.  Great to hear you were able to include a couple of photos as well. 

It must be nice to think back on your year and select a story to share. I always think it is incredible how quickly time goes by. 🙂 

Best of luck again and I hope to speak with you again.

Lizzie

--------------------

I just sent my story in but I am not sure if it was received. I got a notice that said something about it being mismatched. Would you be kind enough to get back to me and let me know if it reached you? Thank you so much.

Also, I saw no way of attaching photos.

Jason

[Personal information hidden]

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jason-And-Mike0,

Great to hear you have submitted a story for the contest. I can confirm this has been received. 🙂

In terms of uploading an image, there is a little camera icon on the text box tool bar, which looks like this:

Camera

As you have now submitted your story, it is not possible to review and edit it. However, if you have a photo you would like to be added, if you post it on this thread, I will try to send it over. 

I hope this helps. 

Lizzie

--------------------

What is the link to add my story and photos?  I don't see a camera, help. Thanks!

Amanda151
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Can someone please confirm whether or not attendance to the Open is necessary in order to submit a story?

Thank you,

Amanda

it is not, anyone can submit a story

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Christopher75. Just mentioning in @Amanda151 so you see Christopher's reply. 

Let the creative juices flow... 🙂

--------------------

Hi all story writers - if you click on the link to submit your story make sure you also log in up in the top right hand corner as then everything works perfectly - also good to make a copy of your story to paste if anything goes wronf with the first submission - only sharing this as I didn't work that out myself for a good while 🙂

I cannot wait to read everyones submissions!

Kirsty, Tauranga, New Zealand

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Kirsty-And-Aaron0 🙂

--------------------