Clarification on essential amenities: Hosts can choose

Airbnb
Official Account

Clarification on essential amenities: Hosts can choose

Essential Amenities.jpg

Earlier this year, we announced that hosts will soon be required to provide a specific set of amenities in each listing that we consider “essential” to a comfortable stay.

Since then, we heard it was impacting some hosts’ ability to host successfully. So now, we’re giving you the choice.

You can choose whether or not to include the essential amenities in your listing. Having said that, we strongly encourage hosts to include them. Guests come from regions all over the world, and many tell us is that these five items are the minimum that they expect to find in a listing.

The five essential amenities include:

Toilet paper

Soap (for hands and body)

1 towel per guest

1 pillow per guest

Linens for each guest bed

We’re currently exploring the best way to keep guests informed about which amenities are provided in each listing so that accurate expectations are set.

Please, only select the Essentials option if you really are providing those items in the listing. Keeping listings as accurate as possible is a really important part of building trust with guests and setting you up for success as a host.

Listings that have Essentials selected but don’t actually provide the five items listed may be subject to penalties, including removal from Airbnb. 

Read this Help Center article for more details on essential amenities.

Thanks for being a part of the Airbnb community and for everything that you do to provide great guest experiences!

168 Replies 168
Deborah393
Level 10
Terrigal, Australia

Hi Parick thats ok , but you have just displayed the 1 size fits all Macdonalds Airbnb concept. All owners mangers would inform you of their facilities prior to you booking if they were able to, Infortunately the Airbnb System does not allow this, I would not expect you to book my dwelling if it did not suite you so you would not have to write a negative review. Unfortunately it is not normal practice to supply towels in our area so we can not tick the box , but we vary rarely have international visitors so we do accommmodate their needs. Unfortunately the 1 size does not fit all.

Deborah393
Level 10
Terrigal, Australia

Hi Lizzie, Thanks for your reply , unfortunately Iam not able reply directly to your post, we are simply asking for more flexability, We do supply most of these amenities , but not towels (except when we get the rare international visitor) We do not feel it appropriate for Airbnb dictating what we supply. We should be able to define what we supply and the prospective guest should be able to choose if it is appropriate for their needs.

Deborah393
Level 10
Terrigal, Australia

See Below

Deborah393
Level 10
Terrigal, Australia

Thanks Lizz I have answered above

Hello @Deborah,

Thanks for sharing more of your experience around this.

As this update is highlighting that hosts have the option to select whether to offer Essential Amenities or not, based on the complexities and norms associated in different regions across the world – based on your comments here I just wanted to see if you had additional thoughts on what you would like to see with reference to Essential Amenties?

Thanks,

Lizzie

MaryLouise0
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

I live to travel & host, and would not even consider NOT having liens! To travel abroad to any location, (Africa, Italy, etc.), it would be impossible to travel with those bulky items!! I find it rude not to provide this items. My impression of a place that is not providing bathroom tissue,  sheets, towels, soap (both, body & hair), is a place not "hosting" at all. Those items are a must of bare necessity, along with a safe clean bed, room, water, and tolite. I'm shocked this is considered "an optional items category"!  😕

Stephen341
Level 2
Ocean City, MD

This forum started out on a debate over wether airbnb should force hosts to provide those essentials. Many of us hosts who never did wanted the choice. We didn't care if you would not go to a place who did not. That is your choice, just like we want that choice. Please stick to the topic. As a traveler I have the choice to go to any place I choose. As a host I want to be able to choose what I provide. Thank you Airbnb for the reversal.

Deborah393
Level 10
Terrigal, Australia

Totally Agree Stephen

Lynnie1
Level 5
Foulkesmill, Ireland

James, Same here. We have beach toys, children's books, toys, games, child tableware, high chair, playpen, changing table, toddler bed, safety equipment,  ... yet are not considered to qualify for the Family Collection because we don't have 1 amenity that is considered necessary in AirBnB's home turf, but not really missed here in Europe. The only time it has been mentioned is when I was told how nice it was not to have it. 

Vicki109
Level 3
Piha, New Zealand

Hi,

Can you please just list all items with an extra charge beside each, and be done with this palaver?

That is "managing guests expectations".  Then they can quickly see exactly what is offered and what to bring.

Kim126
Level 2
Wisconsin, United States

Every city, state,country, region is different.  Having different items lumped together as essentials is misleading.  Beach towels are different from hand towels which are different from dish towels which are totally different item from sheets.  What people choose for bodg or shampoo soaps are different and often when provided are wasted.  If you use the same soap or shampoo from last guest there are potential health problems.  Same with offering oil and grouping that with pots and pans under cooking essentials?  This is not good groupings for public services or health.  

Timothy19
Level 8
Bryn Mawr, PA

Separate subject first:

To all the hosts who think "bed linens" literally mean LINEN sheets. No. The phrase "bed linens" simply means the collection of sheets and pillow cases that go on a bed....regardless of whether they are cotton, linen, wool, or polyester.

On to my main point....

I'm amazed at how many closed-minded owners (hosts) there are on this forum. The fact that many of you cannot comprehend that there are different customs THAN YOURS, is mind boggling. Providing sheets and towels etc may be common in YOUR travels, but there are MANY places in the world where things are different. Many hosts are literally not able to provide sheets and towels (ie laundry is not available/possible), and others do not because no one else in their area does. Should they be forced to offer a service that will add a cost to their rentals that their guests DO NOT want to pay for? My beach community is 99% drive-to guests, most of whom have been coming here for generations. They have ALWAYS brought their own sheets, and prefer to do so. Why? Because renting a house is expensive and having sheets and towels provided is expensive. It would cost me $400 to provide sheets and towels regardless of the length of stay. So $400 for a 2 night rental or a 2 week rental....that's the rate for laundry service. Cleaning crews don't have time to launder or change sheets, nor do many offer it. Even if they did, the price would likely be almost the same. So, if I provided linens and towels my rental would be $400 higher PER STAY than almost every other house on the island. Yes, there are some premium rentals that include linens, but guests pay more. I have offered the option to ALL of my guests, and in 3 years I think 5 guests have opted for them. 5 out of probably 80.

So, should owners HAVE TO provide bed sheets and towels? The answer is NO. Airbnb is correct to back away from this requirement. In addition, my house is a fantastic place for families. 90% of my guests are families. So, I guess all the family friendly amenities I offer don't count because I don't provide sheets and towels? Maybe you should ask my guests if a $400 price hike would be more or less friendly to their family.

In addition I am shocked at how many of those closed-minded owners come on here and don't even read the many posts that explain why things are this way....they just spout off about what great service they provide and judge everyone else who doesn't do what they do. It is ironic how many hosts will complain about guests not reading...and then come in here and don't read!

Buonasera, da dicembre scorso mi sono avventurata nella bella esperienza di Host con Le Hérisson Perugia uno splendido ppartamento di famiglia in zona San Sisto strategica... avevo tante aspettative da Airbnb, ma penso di trascurare qualcosa che non comprendo. Chi volesse aiutarmi nei consigli ben accetti.

Grazie.

Giorgia

Daljit0
Level 5
Windsor, United Kingdom

I provide all the amenties save for shower/bath gel. The reason is "allergies". Soap on the hand is very different to that in the shower or bath where it can possibly be ingested as one rinses face or hair which in turn could lead to a injury or even fatility.

Thats why we ask guest about any allergies....we use goose feather and subsitiute this for synthetic. AirBNB should not promote the provision of bath/shower wash for this reason.

Elizabeth1060
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

I think this is a great idea. I understand that in some countries it is not expected, but for foreign travellers I think it's fair to say that it is expected. Also may I suggest that you add "drinking water" to this list? I travel a lot in countries where it is not safe to drink water from the tap, and I have just stayed in my first ever accommodation that did not provide water to drink. As a keen environmentalist, I have major problems with the concept of having to purchase (single-use plastic) bottled water instead of being able to use filtered water or something similar to fill my reusable water bottle with. Not only that, but it can be very difficult (and sometimes impractical) to have to go source water from your accommodation. It is a minimal cost to the host in those countries and I think it is fair that it be provided as part of the service.

Robin481
Level 2
Haworth, United Kingdom

Simple things such as toilet paper, just how many rolls do you have to leave for a guest to be satisfactory. We have been letting our cottage over 20 years the last year with Airbnb our only agent other than our returning guests from our past experience. We have always left a couple of rolls for guests but it seems that’s not enough for our Airbnb guests, even just 2 people over 2 days stay still left feedback saying shortage of paper. What do other guest do. We are self catering not a hotel, I know it’s a minor niggle but to be told we have not left enough is a bit of a bore. We always advise our guests to tell us if they have a niggle or shortage or something missing, so no excuse, we are only a mile or so away and are there immediately if required.