How you can help refugees fleeing Ukraine

How you can help refugees fleeing Ukraine

CatherinePowell_0-1646072771460.jpeg

Hi everyone, 

I’m Catherine, Airbnb’s Global Head of Hosting. Over the past week, so many lives have been devastated by the unfolding scenes of violence in Ukraine. In this moment of global crisis, we’re turning our attention to how we can help. 

We want to let you know that Airbnb.org has committed to offering free, short-term housing for up to 100,000 refugees fleeing Ukraine. Airbnb.org will provide funding and support for nonprofit partners on the ground who will directly facilitate temporary stays for refugees.

We have heard from Hosts who have been directly affected by the violence or are worried for family and friends in the region. And I’ve been heartened to hear from so many of you who want to get involved and help, and in the coming days, we’ll have more details about how you can do so. 

In the meantime, you can sign up to provide emergency housing in your area or make a donation to Airbnb.org’s Refugee Fund. To learn more about Airbnb.org and the effort to temporarily house refugees fleeing Ukraine, head to the Resource Center

We’ll be in touch with more very soon. If you have questions or suggestions, you can always tag me directly on the Community Center: @Catherine-Powell 

Until then, take good care of yourselves and each other. 

Catherine

135 Replies 135

многие страны совершали ошибки, особенно руководство этих стран, почему обычный человек должен отвечать за их решения и расплачиваться за это? вот, например, несколько страниц истории:/ many countries have made mistakes, especially the leadership of these countries, why should an ordinary person be responsible for their decisions and pay for it? Here are some pages of history for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Ukrainian_War

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Vladimir-and-Elena1,  

Thanks for sharing your concerns and experiences here. I understand this is an incredibly difficult time for many, and as confirmed by Airbnb, business in Russia and Belarus has been suspended, therefore, users located in those countries will not be able to use Airbnb to make new reservations.

The block is based solely on geography, not nationality of our Community Members.

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Sherry413
Level 1
Vienna, Austria

Dear AIRBNB community,  I am in based in Vienna, Austria and also helping fellow Filipinos going out of Ukraine at the moment. We need a temporary shelter for 11 (eleven) of them in Vienna to stay when they arrive here either late tomorrow or Thursday. They are currently in Lviv and getting transport to go out of Ukraine. Since Poland is congested, they are heading down south via Slovakia or Budapest then to Vienna. They are permanent residents and workers in Ukraine with Philippine passport.  They left work without salary and travelled out of Kiev for 2 days now.   Please direct us or help us host for a few days shelter to my fellow countrymen. Please directly PM me here.  Thank you very much!! 
 We urgently need help. Thank you very much.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Oksana101 and @Sherry413

Thank you for all the work you're doing to help refugees already! There is more information on this page on how to find assistance and stays: 

We don’t offer housing directly to individuals at this time. Airbnb.org works with other nonprofit partners who book and coordinate stays for refugee guests.

Please reach out to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) if you’re in need of immediate housing support.

I hope this helps!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Please note: I am currently aware of several cases (today even a case with me) where guests are looking for refugee accommodations for third parties - but not via Airbnb.org, but as a direct request!

First, bookings by third parties are not allowed per se.

Second, you only enjoy the full protection of the refugee program if you book through Airbnb.org.

=> If you have registered with Airbnb.org, only accept official requests from Airbnb.org, no direct requests beyond Airbnb.org.

=> If you want to host refugees and are not yet registered with Airbnb.org: Register first and forward requests to Airbnb.org.

See https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1950/eligibility-for-emergency-stays-through-airbnborg

Hi all. A couple from Ukraine is looking for a shelter in Poland. Can you tell me how we can find people directly who can help us with this? We are stuck in Moldova right now and really want to go to Poland until the whole situation calms down.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Anna11293

If you or someone you know is in need of immediate housing support, please reach out to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR). If you follow this link you'll find several ressources that should help you!

Stay safe,

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Marko282
Level 1
Brela, Croatia

Hello, we offer accomodation in our apartments for refugees, Apartments Bikin Brela. Best regards Marko 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Marko282

Thank you for your generosity, it really is heartwarming! If you haven't yet, make sure to sign up to Airbnb.org in order to provide emergency housing in your area. 🙂

Emilie

-----

Henry539
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi Emilie,

I listed our spare room on Airbnb.org. 

Do you have any visibility into how much demand there is & when we might be contacted? 

& do the enquires come from individuals or from charitable organisations?

Thank you!

We did the same in Austin, TX. Not sure what to expect. But I do keep getting notifications about filling out my tax information or my calendar availability may be shut down. I assume we just ignore these since we’re not taking payment for offering our space to refugees.

Samantha744
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

We have three Ukrainian women (grandmother,  daughter and granddaughter) and one British man arriving from Ukraine probably tomorrow . The British man is married to the grandmother but has lived in Ukraine and have no property here any longer.  My Airbnb is reserved for ten weeks and all I have is a 2 berth caravan I can offer them. 

Any advice Gratefully received.

North Lincolnshire UK.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Samantha744 That's wonderful, I hope they'll arrive safe and sound today! ☺️

Was that stay arranged via Airbnb.org? I'm only asking as you mention having another booking at the same time. What kind of advice were you after? 

-----

Can I help? I’ve just listed my cottage, can sleep 4. Immediately available. 

@Pamela1062 you need to tag @Samantha744 or she won't see your post