Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048

What a mess they have made

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Interesting.  I previewed the listing after this newest category change and 'dedicated workspace' was also a feature at the top, and on amenities it had somehow been checked as a separate room?!  which it isn't, we list the dining room as a dedicated workspace, but there is no 'office space' in the apartment.  I manually changed the amenity back to 'common area' and the feature disappeared, but very strange. 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

my studio unit has a desk and chair in the one room, so it's been listed as a dedicated workspace.  Now at the top of the page, the listing was changed to the following:

"Dedicated workspace

A private room with wifi that’s well-suited for working."

I will be removing dedicated workspace, before I get cancellations for an inaccurate listing.  I don't have a private room in my studio unit.  We better keep an eye on our listings.

Totally agree. 

The dedicated workspace that we said we have did not say it had to be in a  private room.

So they now are saying it's  an office. Are the business travellers or "digital nomads" really requiring this?

I have got to the bottom of this.

Under amenities, you can now select if the room with the workspace is now sperarate or not.

This wasn't the case when this was first added.

I had that too and removed it. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes, this is confusing. I have chosen dedicated workspace as an amenity for my listings because every bedroom has a desk and chair for guests to work from. That was the definition given by Airbnb, i.e. a workspace in a room where the door can be closed, i.e. not a shared/public space.

They are now marketing it as a separate room just for working, i.e. a home (or other) office, which is totally misleading. Plus, my WiFi is good and most guests are perfectly happy with it, but it's not the equivalent of a corporate office building's WiFi set up.

It's only going to lead to guest disappointment and bad reviews.

Louise1097
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We had the same thing. 

Airbnb will surely make the host refund the guest from the host's money , which seems to be the principle of the "air cover", 
Which might be semi-acceptable but only if hosts have control and transparency over how their listing is marketed!

Mark4222
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Now the only way my listings show up is if specific available dates are entered in the calendar. Searching by weekend, week and month doesn’t display my listings even though they are available.

My listings are 30 day minimum, due to LA’s short term rental rules. There are several 30 day minimum blocks available. Why aren’t my listings displayed when I search flexible dates for a month when they are available??

Liza3068
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

I would like Airbnb to add “Family Friendly” as a category for homes that have many amenities for guests traveling with young children.  This seems like a big category guests are seeking I hope Airbnb will add it soon!  We have specifically catered to this group and many of our guests have chosen our home because of the family friendly amenities.  

Very good Lisa !  As a owner or a customer with kids i have to browse all the pictures  on the adv to check if the house is suitable for my kids ( single beds in a room, toys... ) They forget family needs for sure !

@Mark4222  ,  a few years ago there were a few categories on Airbnb to choose from ( I think they were called circles) there were "family circle" ,  "business circle" and I think, but not sure, it was "pet friendly" circle.

It was great, I didn't get any requests from families with kids during that period. When they removed these circles I am getting requests again even though I don't host kids and have no amenities for them. This is so frustrating and time-consuming for guests and for hosts.

@Liza3068 

Yes my first request since they went live with this update was for a family with one kid one baby in my not-child-suitable studio.

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

The new categories seem aimed at the demographic that I imagine come up with the ideas.

No thought of people booking with families, hospital appointments,  shopping trips, on a budget etc.

Not everyone is looking for an inspirational  experience.

Most of our guests just want well priced accommodation  close to the city  centre.