Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Update: January, 2019

A few months ago, we told you about some changes Airbnb was making to the way guest profile photos are displayed. You can read the original post, below.

Now that those changes are being introduced gradually, we want to make sure you have all the information you need. Here’s a recap of what will be changing, along with some tips.

New photo process

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, you’ll receive a guest’s photo after you’ve accepted the booking request. If you have Instant Book turned on, you won’t notice a change to the booking process.

Airbnb does not require guests to have profile photos. Although most guests provide a photo, some have told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking, and we listened.

At the same time, many of you told us that you value guest profile photos, and we listened to you, too. That’s why we’ve introduced a new option for hosts to be able to customize their own booking requirements.

New host control

You now have the option to require that your guests provide a profile photo. Again, the photo will be visible to you only after you accept the booking request. If you’d like to require your guests to provide a profile photo, you’ll need to turn on the control option in your settings for each of your listings, either on mobile or on web. Specifically:

On mobile:

1. Go to the listing you’d like to require profile photos for
  2. Tap Booking settings
  3. Tap Guest requirements
  4. Look for the Profile photo section and tap Edit
  5. Tap Require a profile photo
  6. Tap Save

On web:

1. From your host dashboard, click Listings
  2. Click Booking settings
  3. Next to Guest requirements, click Edit
  4. Check the box next to Profile photo
  5. Click Save

If you take this step and a potential guest doesn’t already have a profile photo, they’ll be prompted to upload one before they can request to book your space. A guest’s profile photo will not be available to you until after you accept the booking request. If the guest doesn’t want to provide a photo, then they won’t be able to book your space. 

Additional support

If you choose to require that your guests have a profile photo and one of your potential guests uploads an image that doesn’t show their face—a photo of a sunset or their dog, for instance—then you can call Airbnb’s Community Support. They’ll work with you to address the issue, and if you feel uncomfortable hosting someone without a photo that shows their face, you can request to cancel the reservation penalty-free.

As a reminder, Airbnb’s nondiscrimination policy prohibits hosts from making booking decisions or canceling reservations based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status. 

As an extra step, as always, you can require guests to provide a government ID to Airbnb in order to be able to book your space. You can read more about that process here.

Why these changes are important

We talked with lots of hosts and guests about profile photos, and we think these changes satisfy the core concerns and feedback we heard. We’ll be paying close attention to how these changes to profile photos affect our community, and will continue working to improve and simplify the process to ensure you feel comfortable hosting. We hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to build a community where everyone can belong. Thank you for hosting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October, 2018

You've been asking a lot about guest profile photos, and Airbnb has been working on new policies to address your concerns. Here is an update from Airbnb:

Today, we’re announcing some changes we will be making to the way we display guest profile photos.

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, hosts will receive a guest’s photo in the booking process only after they’ve accepted the booking request. Airbnb does not require all guests to provide a photo. Instead, we’ll be giving hosts the option to ask their guests to provide a profile photo, which will only be presented to hosts after they accept the booking. We have discussed some of this work in the past and we want you to know more about the changes we will be making in the coming months.

We have participated in a number of conversations with hosts and guests regarding this topic. We have listened to our community, and while most guests provide a photo, some guests told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking. We also recognize that concerns have been raised about the potential for photos to be misused in a way that violates our nondiscrimination policy.

At the same time, hosts have told us that they value profile photos because they can help hosts and guests get to know one another before a trip begins and help hosts recognize guests when they check in. Additionally, we’ve seen how photos can be a useful tool for enhancing trust and promoting community.

We want to balance these concerns. Airbnb does not require guests to provide a profile photo when booking a listing and, as we discussed earlier this summer with our hosts, we will be implementing a series of changes in the months ahead:

• If a guest chooses to provide a profile photo, that profile photo won’t be displayed to the host as part of the booking process until after the booking is confirmed.
  • Because some hosts value profile photos and want to be able to know who they can expect at their front door, we will give hosts the option to ask that guests provide a profile photo prior to booking, which will only be presented to the host after the host accepts the booking request. This new option comes with important safeguards that are designed to ensure our community is fair and open to everyone:
    • Hosts must turn on this feature for each of their listings proactively, before they receive a reservation request.
    • If a host asks for a profile photo, we’ll prompt guests to upload one to their Airbnb profile before they can request to book that host’s particular listing; however, the photo will not be presented to the host until after the booking is confirmed.

If a host cancels a reservation after they see a guest’s photo, the guest will have an easy way to contact Airbnb and report any concerns about potential discrimination by the host in violation of our nondiscrimination policy and Community Commitment. If any guest believes he or she has been discriminated against and notifies our team, we’ll immediately help them book an alternative listing consistent with our Open Doors Policy, investigate the report, and take appropriate action. Any host who violates our nondiscrimination policy may be permanently banned from using Airbnb.

This announcement follows the commitment we made in 2016 to evaluate how we display guest profile photos in the booking process. As we implement these changes in the coming months, we hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to make thoughtful changes that make the Airbnb community a place where everyone can belong.

1,229 Replies 1,229

So the house owner who paid half a million to a million to own the house versus the guest who pays $20 to $30 a day to stay in the house.    Who stands to lose more ? What's the big deal of guest having a real profile picture ? Is it not suspicious a guest wants to remain anonymous?  Is the guest a well known felon ? Up to no good ? A terrorist ? A spy ? Has psychological problems, extreme low self esteem issues ? What are the reasons a person wants to hide their identity to stay in a half a million dollar home ? Can Airbnb with their great database,  list all the possible great reasons why a guest needs to remain anomynous ? Apart of fear of discrimination, what else ?  Perhaps we hosts all should bump up our pricing so that we can exclude any possible safety issue, (ie if a guest Is willing to pay the price of The Ritz / expensive hotel it should be alright. ) Also perhaps airbnb should remove the star ratings as well as it is discriminatory to the hosts. A guest experince and expectations are subjective, some like to be talked to, some like to be left alone, hosts do not have the time to know what guest wants Apart from giving them a nice room. Most guest give ratings based on the host attitude and not the home. Try saying something nasty and even the Ritz would fall out of  favour. DO AWAY WITH RATINGS ITS DISCRIMINATION 

Here, here!!! My worst rating from someone who showed up 5 hours early on Thanksgiving! After waking me up to ask if he could come earlier! Before the last guest even checked out!

Alex1200
Level 10
Homer, AK

Sadly this will further reduce my confidence in the AirBnB system.  I was already having problems with renters who sent photos of their dogs, or in one case a "can of soup".  My rental is a small cottage in the forest near my house.  In almost every case with a fake photo, the people who actually showed up in my forest at 11pm were NOT the people who conducted the booking, nor had they been in contact with me regarding the rules of the property.  This new policy will probably promote more third parties acting as the " booking party".  I have not yet figured out why this has been happening, but I suspect that the actual renting occupants might have:  1. Bad credit, 2. Are hidding from somebody, 3. Are not smart enough to accomplish their own booking process,  or 4. Were fooled into paying the third party even more than I am charging.

Gina318
Level 2
Blueys Beach, AU

I’m very concerned at the lack of security Airbnb is giving me as a host.  Now guest can book with a mobile number, an email address and no photo.  If I want government ID I have to use “instant booking” which I have tried and it didn’t go well.  

Wake up Airbnb and support your hosts who have made some very good points regarding these new changes.  

Agreed! We are being forced to use Instant Book, which I don't want to use as my experiences have not been good!

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

What would happen if we all remove OUR Profile Photos! Wonder what would happen then???

We probably could not be hosts! Really curious about that. Anybody know the answer? I haven't tried to remove my photo ----------????

Recent guests without a profile photo until booking were all dark skinned ---- this is discrimination for sure..............I'm not racist and don't care but what's with this approach? crazy for sure.

Thanks, Clara

Jo13
Level 10
Durban, South Africa

Hello Clara,

I have removed my profile photo and replaced it with the type of guest profile image that Airbnb is now using. I saw another host do it and it inspired me. If you'd like to do the same, you can find matching profile A-Z icons here: http://bit.ly/ABBprofiles

I have also made a note to genuine prospective guests that they are welcome to ask me for a profile photo of myself; I will gladly provide it.

Cheers,

Jo

Dawn298
Level 8
Toronto, Canada

Just want to post this comment originally posted as a reply...

I had a guy covered in Tats and leather. We corresponded a few times before I felt confident to book him. He was obliging and understood that I needed to feel comfortable with him staying at our place. He said he was here for job interviews, although he looked like a biker. In the end, when I meet him he was a really great guy. I did not discriminate based on his photo but rather was able to ask a few more questions to get to know him to get a better feel for his visit. In the end, his stay was successful. My point is that most hosts don't discriminate against guests based on their photo. It is just a tool to make educated guesses as to who would be appropriate to stay in our homes. 

Myan0
Level 2
Crestone, CO

Ah, the social complexities of the 21st century!  When I first read about the change I got a little ruffled. Then I asked myself if a photo ( which is sometimes a dog, cat or cartoon) influences how I anticipate hosting a particular guest???  Perhaps. What I like about Airbnb is the theme of connection. We've been hosting for 5 years, maybe 6 and our guest space is in our home. The more popular Airbnb gets the more frequent the guests who don't know at the outset the this isn't the Holiday Inn. I encourage Airbnb to help guests know this is a fun, open hearted and alternative way to travel. Seems like the photos are the first step in sharing.

Felicity48
Level 3
Port Edward, South Africa

I just do a bit of home work myself.

I always ask my Guests a week before arrival to please forward me a copy of their ID and a Recent photo.

Just to make sure for my own and Guests protection , I allow the right Guest/Guests on the property.

Out of all my Guests who is from all different Race and Cultures, NOBODY has ever had a problem with that.  

Felicity48
Level 3
Port Edward, South Africa

I really like being part of Airbnb.

Have had no problems with any Reservations.

A week before? What about 2 hours before they want to arrive? And here in the states we no longer even require ID to vote. And I only started the thread because the two people that alarmed me were obvious gang members. That is not discriminatory. That is good sense.

I like to see who is renting my place but, as you pointed out, for those of us with instant-book on we'll get the picture when the booking is made.

However, in case anyone didn't decode the real reason for this change -- it's all about AirBnB bottom-line.  There is risk to AirBnB in showing guest profile pictures because owners who receive an inquiry (not an instant booking) could use that as picture search to locate the guest online and book with them directly -- and vice-versa for guests to contact owners.

While we can go back-and-forth about privacy issues and discrimination issues, etc., the real motivation behind this change is dollars and the AirBnB bottom line.  Period.

Have never once contacted anyone or considered it about booking outside the platform. It is impossible anyway as all messages must be conducted through the platform prior to a confirmed booking. If you are a Superhost, what would be worth getting bounced off for some random booking?

Jane550
Level 6
Australia

I like to know that the person booking is actually the person who is staying, as if they have had bad reviews from other hosts they may deceptively use a friend’s Airbnb profile to book instead. I have had several very ‘bad bookings’ of late our neighbours actually told us two mini buses turned up with 15 in each bus and stayed overnight , the booking was for ten people maximum the house was trashed and it was very disappointing. Someone mentioned earlier that everyone is fairly transparent on social media these days , why would you be concerned about showing a photo .  I have also have had many booking of various race gender nationality. But a photo to me is essential in putting a face to a person and establishing trust and openess . I also agree it may end up worse for the host as guests may leave the place a disgrace you give a bad review and next thing they claim discrimination, it’s opening up a huge platform for issues to arise. I’ve been considering security cameras and this will definitely now make me follow this up and do so.