Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Update: January, 2019

A few months ago, we told you about some changes Airbnb was making to the way guest profile photos are displayed. You can read the original post, below.

Now that those changes are being introduced gradually, we want to make sure you have all the information you need. Here’s a recap of what will be changing, along with some tips.

New photo process

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, you’ll receive a guest’s photo after you’ve accepted the booking request. If you have Instant Book turned on, you won’t notice a change to the booking process.

Airbnb does not require guests to have profile photos. Although most guests provide a photo, some have told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking, and we listened.

At the same time, many of you told us that you value guest profile photos, and we listened to you, too. That’s why we’ve introduced a new option for hosts to be able to customize their own booking requirements.

New host control

You now have the option to require that your guests provide a profile photo. Again, the photo will be visible to you only after you accept the booking request. If you’d like to require your guests to provide a profile photo, you’ll need to turn on the control option in your settings for each of your listings, either on mobile or on web. Specifically:

On mobile:

1. Go to the listing you’d like to require profile photos for
  2. Tap Booking settings
  3. Tap Guest requirements
  4. Look for the Profile photo section and tap Edit
  5. Tap Require a profile photo
  6. Tap Save

On web:

1. From your host dashboard, click Listings
  2. Click Booking settings
  3. Next to Guest requirements, click Edit
  4. Check the box next to Profile photo
  5. Click Save

If you take this step and a potential guest doesn’t already have a profile photo, they’ll be prompted to upload one before they can request to book your space. A guest’s profile photo will not be available to you until after you accept the booking request. If the guest doesn’t want to provide a photo, then they won’t be able to book your space. 

Additional support

If you choose to require that your guests have a profile photo and one of your potential guests uploads an image that doesn’t show their face—a photo of a sunset or their dog, for instance—then you can call Airbnb’s Community Support. They’ll work with you to address the issue, and if you feel uncomfortable hosting someone without a photo that shows their face, you can request to cancel the reservation penalty-free.

As a reminder, Airbnb’s nondiscrimination policy prohibits hosts from making booking decisions or canceling reservations based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status. 

As an extra step, as always, you can require guests to provide a government ID to Airbnb in order to be able to book your space. You can read more about that process here.

Why these changes are important

We talked with lots of hosts and guests about profile photos, and we think these changes satisfy the core concerns and feedback we heard. We’ll be paying close attention to how these changes to profile photos affect our community, and will continue working to improve and simplify the process to ensure you feel comfortable hosting. We hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to build a community where everyone can belong. Thank you for hosting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October, 2018

You've been asking a lot about guest profile photos, and Airbnb has been working on new policies to address your concerns. Here is an update from Airbnb:

Today, we’re announcing some changes we will be making to the way we display guest profile photos.

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, hosts will receive a guest’s photo in the booking process only after they’ve accepted the booking request. Airbnb does not require all guests to provide a photo. Instead, we’ll be giving hosts the option to ask their guests to provide a profile photo, which will only be presented to hosts after they accept the booking. We have discussed some of this work in the past and we want you to know more about the changes we will be making in the coming months.

We have participated in a number of conversations with hosts and guests regarding this topic. We have listened to our community, and while most guests provide a photo, some guests told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking. We also recognize that concerns have been raised about the potential for photos to be misused in a way that violates our nondiscrimination policy.

At the same time, hosts have told us that they value profile photos because they can help hosts and guests get to know one another before a trip begins and help hosts recognize guests when they check in. Additionally, we’ve seen how photos can be a useful tool for enhancing trust and promoting community.

We want to balance these concerns. Airbnb does not require guests to provide a profile photo when booking a listing and, as we discussed earlier this summer with our hosts, we will be implementing a series of changes in the months ahead:

• If a guest chooses to provide a profile photo, that profile photo won’t be displayed to the host as part of the booking process until after the booking is confirmed.
  • Because some hosts value profile photos and want to be able to know who they can expect at their front door, we will give hosts the option to ask that guests provide a profile photo prior to booking, which will only be presented to the host after the host accepts the booking request. This new option comes with important safeguards that are designed to ensure our community is fair and open to everyone:
    • Hosts must turn on this feature for each of their listings proactively, before they receive a reservation request.
    • If a host asks for a profile photo, we’ll prompt guests to upload one to their Airbnb profile before they can request to book that host’s particular listing; however, the photo will not be presented to the host until after the booking is confirmed.

If a host cancels a reservation after they see a guest’s photo, the guest will have an easy way to contact Airbnb and report any concerns about potential discrimination by the host in violation of our nondiscrimination policy and Community Commitment. If any guest believes he or she has been discriminated against and notifies our team, we’ll immediately help them book an alternative listing consistent with our Open Doors Policy, investigate the report, and take appropriate action. Any host who violates our nondiscrimination policy may be permanently banned from using Airbnb.

This announcement follows the commitment we made in 2016 to evaluate how we display guest profile photos in the booking process. As we implement these changes in the coming months, we hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to make thoughtful changes that make the Airbnb community a place where everyone can belong.

1,229 Replies 1,229

Luckily most of my guests have previously posted their photos and only recently have I had the unfortunate obstacle of a guest with no review, no photo and a less than stellar attempt to secure a booking with me. Not having even a simple photo to work off from made this task much more difficult than need be. I'm a single woman with an apartment upstairs in my home. I want to have the ability to screen my guests and it has absolutely nothing to do with  the color of their skin or age or male/female. I made this woman probably jump thru more hoops than necessary but had I been able to see her, I'm fairly certain I'd have had a slightly different attitude just knowing she was a young nerd. And I say that with love. I'm a fan. 

You continue to make things harder for hosts and easier for guests, forgetting that without hosts, particularly super hosts, of which I am,( even though my badge  does not show on this page and idk why,)  you wouldn't have guests. I've only been hosting for 6 months or so but the trend for keeping things fair does not look so favorable for hosts. I'm exploring other platforms in hopes of finding better equity. 

I'm single too, exact same situation. 

I'll be declining bookings until this policy changes and did so today with a note explaining why. I recommend we all do the same. I got the idea from another Airbnb Super Host. I even put a note in my listing about the policy and that folks will now have to have reviews to stay with me due to Airbnb's new policies. 

A supervisor said to share your feedback here. Pass it on! https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

I’ll be requesting guests to send profile pictures  by email. There is no way I’ll be accepting inquiries without one. 

Good idea.

A supervisor said to share your feedback here. Pass it on! https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

David1747
Level 7
San Mateo, Philippines

I am not happy with this change at all. Airbnb seems to forget that we are inviting strangers into our homes - not renting out hotel rooms. 

A lot of our bookings come from people without previous guest reviews, so I usually check out a person making a booking request by finding their Facebook profile by matching the photo to the first name. It doesn't always work, but more often than not it does, and I can usually tell from their Facebook or other social media profiles whether they are going to be a good guest. We never discriminate based on race, sexual preferences, or anything like that, but I will refuse a booking from somebody who looks like they might trash our place.

Since signing up to be an Airbnb host a little over a year ago, all of the changes seem to be to favour the guests. The hosts providing the accommodation seem always to be a secondary consideration. I guess that's because they take more commission from the guests than the hosts.

I also just rent out the spare room in my house.  I also used to check out guests on fb or linked in and the photo was the only way to know if I had the right person.   When someone is shareing our own house, with us, our bathroom, the bedroom next to ours, our own kitchen, we meet them in our own sitting room.... we NEED to know who is coming to visit.  

It should be a requirement that all airbnb employees rent out their spare room or sofa to strangers.   

David,

This policy change is a camouflage about an entirely different issue.

i believe that Airbnb is shifting liability to the host in disguise.

this is something bigger.

I removed my listing 5 weeks ago when this entire drama began - how to effect change.  

Amanda

I may be joining you. If we all do it then the policy will change again. 

Olev0
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

I have relied heavily on the photos when making my decision to accept a booking request. I have turned off InstaBook because I feel it would be completely relinquishing control over who come to my home. A photo is vital!  A photo is not just a 2 dimensional graphic. It contains a lot of information. Much of it is subtle, subliminal, intuitive, and instinctual. It's in the eyes. It's in the smile. It's in the facial expression. It's also in the background of the photo - the overall composition. All of that information is missing and this increases the feeling of risk to an unbacceptable level. Imagine if everyone only wore Guy Faulks masks when in public! Everyone would be on edge and society would not be able to function! This is not about discrimination. This is about safety and security.  I used to have no problem accepting booking requests. I felt I could tell if the applicant was trustworthy from the photo. Airbnb has gotten this so wrong!!! Now I feel very uneasy and even a bit scared to accept a booking. I need a lot more information about the guest than the knowledge that they submitted a drivers licence and photograph to Airbnb... especially if they have no ratings and no reviews. Until now Airbnb has been great. Now... I think I have to find another way...    😞   😞   😞

Basically the photo allows me to identify “crazy face.”

ive  worked front line customer service in hospitality and travel for 38 years.

I can spot trouble a mile away.

Oleg,

this is camouflage for an entirely different issue.

I removed my listing 5 weeks ago when this entire drama began - how to effect change.  

Right there with you.  We all need to delete our bookings in protest. 

Matteo340
Level 6
New York, NY

Look, you're not going to turn people's apartments into hotels if that's what youre trying to do. I've been hosting people for years from everywhere, every race, age, religion, and social status. But I always required for guests to have a picture and a description of themseves. I still need to see who I'm talking to. I'm not going to accept people in a blindfolded kind of way, if that's what you are forcing on us. And this new policy is forcing people to "accept" others not based on their own beliefs and moral values as human beings but based on a rule that Airbnb imposes on their users. It would be equal to say that from now being "tollerant" will be a requirement and if you're not you'll be punished. Things like that comes from within not from an obtuse imposition. Basically another way to limitate your freedom of choice and what is the outcoem of policies like that? More intollerance. And hosts and guests forced to live in an awkaward or unwanted situation or else Airbnb is going step up and penalize you. Truly remarkable. Wonderful community.

You know what I'm doing right now and I think everyone should be doing? I'm declining all the booking requests until this thing has been removed. And on my decline messages I'm letting people know that, hey, it's not your fault, but until Airbnb doesn't allow me to see the face of the person I'm talking to and that is supposed to come and stay and live in my apartment and share the space with me I'm not accepting anyone. And that has to happen before I accept them, not after. Yes, sorry San Franciscans, the look of a person in the real world can be very important and I'm not the person that ever discriminated anyone, you can see my reviews, but I still do reserve the right to say no to whoever I want. Based on whatever I want. If you  remove that freedom from me that in itself it's a discrimating act.

And If this won't to be the case anymore, well, we have to come to the conclusion that this platform is just going to be as transparent and safe as Craigslist. Years of development to go back to where everything started from. Excellent job!

Ultimately, I believe this action was made with Airbnb interests in mind only, completely disregarding hosts needs, concerns, and requests. Pretty lame move from a company that claims to wanting to build a "community" or a better one. I think there's a little problem right there. And of course their answer is this being an attempt to minimize booking rejections based on appearance, race, or sex. Typical SF bull**** and typical solution in  SF-style. Creating more distance between people isn't a solution. Not allowing host and guest to properly interact to each other or being able to make their own decisions according to their own judgement and beliefs, instead of your imposition, isn't a solution either. Typical SF pseudo-liberal fascist move indeed. No wonder why you guys are so awkwardly unable to socialize like regualr people in that city.

Matteo,

you are are the only host whose thread I have read that understands that this entire policy change is a camouflage about an entirely different issue.

i also removed my listing 5 weeks ago when this entire drama began.  You and I are a very few that understand lies and how to effect change.  

Amanda

This is a brilliant idea! 

"You know what I'm doing right now and I think everyone should be doing? I'm declining all the booking requests until this thing has been removed. And on my decline messages I'm letting people know that, hey, it's not your fault, but until Airbnb doesn't allow me to see the face of the person I'm talking to and that is supposed to come and stay and live in my apartment and share the space with me I'm not accepting anyone. And that has to happen before I accept them, not after. "

I just did the same, after my 3rd call today with Airbnb after finding out the new policy. Now I will add your comment to my reason.

You can see my comment in the thread. It has an email to write to them.