Airbnb Answers: Pricing tools that drive host success

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Pricing tools that drive host success

You asked: Can Airbnb offer hosts more flexibility and options to set our pricing?

Leading up to the last Host Q&A, you asked for more flexibility with your pricing options. We went straight to the team that plans and builds these tools to see what’s on the horizon. What we learned was surprising. It turns out we’ve built solutions for much of what you’re asking for, but lots of hosts don’t know about or use the pricing settings available. We also found out that sometimes offering certain types of discounts harms rather than helps your business. Intrigued? We were too.

To make sure you have the latest insights on pricing, let’s take a look at what your options are and how your feedback influences what we build.

Current pricing options

You specifically asked for the ability to set different prices according to a guest’s length of stay, or based on the days of the week (for example, charging a different price for middle of the week vs. weekend stays). We actually have tools that help you do both! You can offer a discount for stays longer than a week or a month, and you can set up custom weekend pricing.

You also asked about charging guests based on the number of beds they use, rather than the number of guests staying in the listing. While we understand that more beds used means more linens to clean, it’s sometimes difficult for guests to anticipate how many beds they’ll use at the time of booking. For example, not every listing describes if beds are queen sized or double, how many sleeper sofas there are, or how the beds are arranged in a room. Some guests may want to see the place before deciding if they’ll share a double bed with a friend or sleep on the pull-out couch. However, guests can accurately and confidently say how many people will be staying, and you can charge an extra guest fee to account for that. If the cost of cleaning and check-in for shorter stays is a concern, you can add cleaning fees to offset those costs.

How host feedback is shaping our work

Your feedback shows us where things aren’t working for you, and where we can do better. Based on what you’ve told us, we’re focusing our efforts on making every tool more accessible and intuitive. And we’re helping hosts understand how pricing tools work together, which rules take priority when multiple rules overlap, and how to use the tools you have for maximum benefit to you.

When it comes to building new pricing tools, we try to account for a multitude of host preferences while keeping things simple enough for guests to still want to book your space with Airbnb. To do this, we solicit host feedback, test new ideas, and notice what happens to bookings when we add new options.

Here’s a little insight into how we test and pass along our learnings to you: Sometimes we can anticipate reliable opportunities to boost your earnings. For example, you may have seen insight messages on your calendar and emails highlighting discount opportunities for specific dates that would otherwise go unbooked. When you apply these discounts, we highlight to travelers the value you’re offering and that attracts bookings.

Alternatively, sometimes we find that less is more—like in a recent test in which hosts added discounts for 3-6 night stays in areas we noticed travelers were searching for accommodation, and it turned out the guests who booked those discounted spaces would likely have booked the listing at the regular price for the same duration. It’s these types of insights that we pass along to you in how we build and what we recommend.

You always have control over the price you set for your space. And we’re committed to sharing what we learn about pricing best practices. We’re excited that Airbnb offers competitive pricing flexibility for you, a simple booking experience for your guests, and the promise that we’ll continue to listen to your ideas about how to make pricing even better.

In the latest Host Q&A, CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky answered top-voted questions during a livestream event. For questions he didn’t have time to address, we’ve introduced Airbnb Answers. Want to ask more? We’ll let you know in Airbnb Updates when the question platform will open for the upcoming June 27th Host Q&A.

291 Replies 291
Cherilynn0
Level 2
Boulder, CO

I would like to see a parallel SuperGuest program....parallel criteria to SuperHost regarding cancellations, star ratings, etc.....Perhaps also with criteria for certain number of AirBnB bookings in a year? Certainly see benefits all round...incentivizing good behaviour, more business, and perhaps discounts for such good actors in the community!

Patti2
Level 2
Burkeville, VA

I totally disagree that guests don’t know how many beds or rooms they need. Every listing shows the beds in each room. Linens matter when it comes to pricing so I was surprised to hear that as Airbnb’s explanation for why they chose not to accommodate host requests for room pricing. 

Tim409
Level 2
San Carlos, CA

For almost 10 years I have loved my guests.  Now Airbnb no. Not at all

Diana495
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

AIrbnb is toxic

Airbnb operates unlawfully

Brent62
Level 2
Escondido, CA

I would like to set an automated rate of discount based on nights stayed. One night is hard to justify the time but 2 makes it woth it. I really want to make that single night rate almost as much as a two night. After that I'm fine with a steep decline in price. 

Kimberly34
Level 2
Los Barriles, Baja California Sur, MX

We have to pay local IVA taxes in Los Barriles BCS, Mexico. We need to be able to add taxes in places Airbnb is not collecting.  The other Vacation sites has this function.

I would like to be able to offer a small discounted rate or higher rates based on check in or checkout times. I am very flexible with my check in and check out times and I like the fact I do not impose a hotel like experience on that aspect.

I have travelers who arrive super late (11pm/ Midnight) ans leave super early - (4am) because of train schedule. I feel bad that they have to pay a high price during peak season or peak days such as weekends.

I also have guests that are in the opposite situation. They arrive by train at 4am and want to check in early. For me it is extra work and extra coordination to have the room ready that early .but I do it because I like to help as much as possible. 

However I want my guests to know at time of booking that if they are not gonna be in the house for a long time, they have the option to pay a bit less or vice versa.

Joe-and-Rosie0
Level 2
Nederland, CO

Would love to have a separate cleaning fee automatically charged for groups bringing a pet. We note in our listing that we charge a fee for dogs due to the additional cleaning needed to remediate dander but it requires our requesting that money outside of the initial booking. It's an added stress and sometimes we don't receive the money. Thank you!

Karen_John0
Level 2
Oregon, United States

Do you feel it is better to lower night price a small amount and charge a cleaning fee to offset that difference. Do the people who are looking only look at the price per night and not figure in a cleaning fee ?  

Jira2
Level 2
Emeryville, CA

I have to set mine manually then hear the grumbling about the increase in prices and contend with a hit on my star rating.

Stefanie113
Level 2
Franklin, TN

I would like the opportunity to turn off night requirements for certain dates easily. Example if I have this Friday open which requires 2 nights, turn off the requirement for that particular Friday so it could be last minute booked. 

Jared-and-Delores0
Level 2
Texas, United States

I want to be able to add in pet fees as an option as opposed to asking the guest separately. I also want to be able to exempt younger children (certain ages) from my "extra guest" fee or even charge more or less for toddlers/infants.

Jared-and-Delores0
Level 2
Texas, United States

I also want to be able to charge a cleaning for certain stays only (length of time).

Occasionally Airbnb allows for the host to offer a special percentage off which displays out or is email blasted to potential guests. We would like the option to offer our own percentage off displayed on the calendar to guests as a promotional offer to help fill in gaps between bookings. Often guests take unusual dates particularly in a destination market that leave less desirable openings as opposed to hotel bookings where the typical vacationers book a full week at a time. The 10% offer controlled by AirBNB right now has been extremely effective but being a new host, we have no control on how we can effectively implement this very good tool.

Lake-Arrowhead0
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I love to reduce the price, ( $95.00 per night ) but the helps we were introduced by Airbnb in the mountain area where our cabin for rent is are so expensive.....!!! , they charge at least $150.00 + for cleaning. ( depends on the number of guests )

if we ask for opening & closing that would cost extra.

We pay $75.00 for 100 mbps per month, and $90 for water ( use it or not ) per month, $200 property tax ( per month ), average damages guests create $100 per month.  how could we rent our cabin with everythnig modern and new for $62 per night....? it won't even cover the expenses.

HELP...........!!