Continuing the dialogue: Recapping our second global Host Q&A

Airbnb
Official Account

Continuing the dialogue: Recapping our second global Host Q&A

AIRBNB HOST Q&A.jpg

Last year when CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky was thinking of new ways to connect with hosts, he decided that several times a year he’d field top-voted host questions in a livestreamed Q&A session.

After receiving an overwhelming 11,579 questions for the inaugural Host Q&A last November, a lot has happened. In February, we had the biggest launch in our ten-year history, and naturally, hosts had a ton of questions about how these new updates will affect how they host. So we reconvened for the second Host Q&A event a few days later, and this time Brian and London-based Superhost Rebecca addressed questions focused on the recent launch.

Click each question to watch Brian’s answer or read a short summary below.

1. What are the benefits of the new Superhost program? Can you give more details?

Summary: In addition to the existing Superhost benefits (Superhost filter on search, profile badge, early access to products, $100 travel voucher, faster support, invitations to launch events, and more exposure and visibility), we’ll be rolling out additional benefits throughout the rest of 2018 like custom URLs for your listings, access to tax preparation support for U.S. hosts, and more. To learn about all of the new benefits in detail, visit airbnb.com/superhost.

2. Is it harder to become a Superhost now?

Summary: While it is slightly harder to become a Superhost, what’s making it harder is a very minor change. Beginning in July, we’re requiring an overall rating of 4.8 instead of 80% five-star reviews to become a Superhost so that the requirements for the Superhost program are consistent with Plus, Collections, and more.

3. What’s the difference between Airbnb Plus and Superhost?

Summary: Superhosts are hosts who have been recognized for providing great hospitality. Airbnb Plus also recognizes great hospitality and on top of that, Plus features homes that pass a 100-point, in-person inspection that verify the listing for quality and comfort.

4. How do I qualify for Airbnb Plus?

Summary: To qualify for Airbnb Plus, you must have a 4.8 rating, 95% acceptance rate, and no cancellations in the past year. Additionally, Plus hosts must pass a 100-point inspection to ensure your listing is comfortable, cohesive, and thoughtfully designed. Learn more about Plus by visiting airbnb.com/plus/host.

5. Why is there a fee to apply to Plus?

Summary: The one-time, non-refundable fee of $149 is intended to help cover the cost of your in-person home visit and personalized home report. Additionally, we’re investing in hosts that complete the verification process and join Airbnb Plus by providing professional photography, editorial tips on how to best describe their listing, and access to premium customer support.

6. How do I make sure my listing is categorized correctly?

Summary: To make sure your listing is categorized correctly, visit https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/listings to update your listing information.

7. Can we suggest categories?

Summary: Yes, we’d love to hear your suggestions for new categories. Submit your ideas by going to airbnb.com/feedback.

8. How do you determine who’s included in a Collection?

Summary: Being included in a Collection is based of off certain criteria specific to that particular Collection. Often, you can automatically be included in a Collection. For example, if you have a 4.8 overall rating, five-star reviews from families, Wifi, TV, an entire home with a full kitchen, and house rules suitable for children, you’ll be placed in the Family Collection.

9. Can I be part of multiple Collections?

Summary: Yes, Collections are not mutually exclusive and you can be part of many different Collections if you meet the requirements.  

10. Can Airbnb separate personal home listings from professionally managed listings?

Summary: Professionally managed listings is a wide spectrum that often includes people hosting in their personal homes. Categorization is designed to make sure guests can find what is unique about your home. We are continually evolving categorization so we can ensure your home shows up for guests looking for a place like yours.

11. How will we know if guests are Superguests? Will we see any additional information about them?

Summary: Superguests will receive a badge on their profile and they’ll also be sharing additional information on their profile about who they are.

12. Airbnb is constantly pushing me to lower my price. Why?

Summary: While we know that you can set the price of your listing better than anyone, we also have hundreds of millions of data points to help guide your pricing. Our suggestions, are just that—suggestions. It’s our goal to help you earn as much income as possible by hosting, not less.

13. What are you doing to help better manage guests’ expectations before they book my listing?

Summary: By launching categories, we’re working towards matching you with guests that are looking for the type of amenities your home offers and better surfacing these amenities in search. The better job we do matching, the better we can help manage those expectations.  

Onward and upward

After the first Host Q&A we started to think—what’re we going to do with all of the other questions that Brian didn’t get a chance to answer? Well, you’ll notice in this month’s Host News newsletter that we recently launched Airbnb Answers to help address more of your questions.

Even though we won’t be able to get to each and every one of your questions, please do know that your questions and feedback are being routed to the correct team to ensure your voice is heard.  

See you next time!

27 Replies 27
Randy98
Level 2
Woodstock, VT

How are we as hosts covered by insurance ? My State Farm policy does not cover me,yet Arbnb says I am covered to a million. Will State Farm cancel me if they know I have a room for rent? What if there is a big problem,who will help me?

Dorothy82
Level 2
Earleville, MD

I would like to set an age limitation on guests because of prior experiences with couples under the age of 25 that act innaproperately. They gave had fights, set off my fire alarm because they burned things on the stove, been loud after 10 and generally ignored our rules. Thoughts?

Debora84
Level 2
Houston, TX

I had guests that were disrespectful of the property and me and I couldn’t send a bad report on them because they would not send a review on me.

Duane-And-Nancy0
Level 2
Indianola, WA

We would love to see "sauna" added to the amenities list.  We don't have a pool (this IS Washington State!) or a spa, but we do have a lovely Finnish sauna that our guests love.  One couple came from Canada because they saw the sauna in our pictures.

Waltraud--Kiana-0
Level 3
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica

I would like to know how I can protect myself from an unfair review. When I get notice that a guest has made a review and I can respond, I cannot see at the same time the star rating they did on each point. that gives me little options to respond accordingly. Also, as a super host with regularly high ratings , and then suddenly in between a low one, Airbnb should check out what really is going on. I had the other day an experience like that and wanted to get help from Airbnb about it to check this out since the people did not even stay at my place and still were giving me a review which sounded at first sight even nice, but the star ratings were completely down which lowered my over-all rating considerably. The review was completely unreasonable since the guests apparently had not read the description at all. How, especially as a super host, can I protect myself from that?

Ray-and-Karla0
Level 2
Birmingham, AL

Amen! It is unrealistic to believe every guest is a great person or that they even understand what they are booking with an Airbnb. There should be someone how looks into the “out of nowhere” negative reviews to determine if they are even valid. 

Cameron68
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

How about the ability to add a video on house rules location and nearby amenities, guests dont read house rules much yet video through Youtube is now the 2nd most searched engine for information, a proffesional short video would enhance the experience for them to make desicions 

Sheri34
Level 2
Maryland, United States

It's very uncomfortable to ask a guest for the tax.  We must pay %15 tax on all rental income for each year and that's a lot.  How can we skip that deduction? Airbnb must include this so that hosts don't have to report the income and then be taxed. Do this for the host before the payment is made so the IRS doesn't take it each year.

Phyllis2
Level 4
British Columbia, Canada

Both guest and host reviews should be posted at the same time where neither one can see the others post in advance.  There are times I would not give a guest a positive review but are afraid to do so for retaliation and possibly losing my super host status

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Waltraud--Kiana-0@Sheri34@Phyllis2@Cameron68@Ray-and-Karla0@Duane-And-Nancy0@Debora84@Dorothy82@Randy98,

Great to meet you all. Thanks for your comments, it is good to hear your thoughts and questions here. 

I just wanted to let you know that if you have a question you would like to submit for the next Global Host Q&A this hasn't opened yet, however I should be sharing more information about this in the coming months–so I will let you know about this. 🙂

Having said this, if you have a general question you might like to explore the Community Center a little more and create a new discussion around this. We also have a specific Help Board. There are lots of great tips and experienced hosts here. 

Thanks again and I look forward to speaking with you more. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Rachel477
Level 3
Cottage Grove, OR

@Airbnb

I would like to see a change in the booking limit (by age range) for children.  Infants and toddlers, children up to 6 years old are diffent than children ages 7-12 years.  For older children, they are more responsible and follow directions better.  I would like to have children in my home but I believe the age ranges for children is too broad.

Rachel Kyle

Mt. David Home

Jewell0
Level 2
Peoria, AZ

I also {re: Pam and Kai} think location should be taken out. Even though that particular category isn't supposed to affect your overall rating a guest who doesn't understand the system might give you a lower overall rating just for that. 

Also more categories for age range of children would be a good idea.

I'd like to see different rental periods available to guests instead of only a nightly option. We have a cottage property that we rent weekly. It would be so much easier to manage bookings if there was a weekly option. It's common practice in our area to rent from Saturday to Saturday.