Hosting a private room: Successful hosts share tips, benefits, & surprises

Airbnb
Official Account

Hosting a private room: Successful hosts share tips, benefits, & surprises

cffec1a9202458a26ca2.jpg

Hosting a private room can have incredible advantages: attracting guests who value a local connection, making new friends from all over the world, and creating a sense of belonging right in your own home. It can also come with a few unique challenges, from sharing a kitchen to securing belongings. That’s why we asked experienced private-room hosts for their top tips. If you already host in a private room, their responses might help inspire some ideas. And if not, their suggestions may inspire you to start.

Make it obvious you have a private room

Sometimes guests scan listings quickly, so be as explicit as possible. Hosts have a few keywords they suggest using when you’re putting together your listing.

• Write “room” in the headline and abstract, and send a welcome message before booking that includes “this is a private room and the [home] is shared with the host.” —Till + Jutta, Stuttgart, Germany
  • Remember to include: guests must be mindful that it's one's home where they are sharing. —Helen, Auckland, New Zealand
  • I am excruciatingly honest in the listing description. I repeat the big things: one bathroom, one antenna-only TV, gravel road, no wifi, no air-conditioning. —Laurene, Florence, Canada

Be upfront about who’s at home

One of the big reasons guests choose private rooms over entire homes is to have a deeper connection with locals. So, it can be a surprise when there are other guests, family members, or pets in the home that they weren’t expecting. “Wait, who are you?” one guest commented about a private-room stay. “Everything was great...until the morning, when it was clear that my ‘shared bathroom’ was not shared with just the host, but also with three other rooms she rented out.” These hosts have found that setting expectations is key:

• Be clear on your listing that it is a shared space. When I first started hosting, I felt like I had to tiptoe around and not have anyone drop in, but this is not sustainable. So I have now written on my listing that this is a functioning home and that friends may drop in from time to time, etc. so they know up front what to expect. —Kath, Albany, Australia
  • A [female guest] might feel uncomfortable sharing bathroom with a male guest. A [male guest] might be having problems with the type of space he will have to share with other guests. You must ensure that the experience is as good as possible for guests, so make sure you are always clear in your communications. —Emily, Italy

Greet your guests to get on the same page

Welcoming guests in person is especially helpful if you’re hosting a shared space.  Many hosts told us that when guests arrive, they welcome them with a tour of the room and house, break the ice by sitting down for a tea or coffee, and chat about details like these:

• Guests arrive tired and a little disoriented. If you [greet them] at the beginning of their stay, there are usually no problems. —Maria Jose, Spain
  • Upon check-in, clearly communicate what area guests can use and which are absolutely private. Don’t forget to say that you expect the kitchen to stay tidy, as there are some guests who come from cultures that cook and eat later at night. —Thomas, Basel, Switzerland
  • I make my rules clear in my house manual and chat to guests about lights, windows, quiet time, coming home late/early. —Paul, London, England

Provide specific, detailed House Rules

Keep your own schedule and needs in mind when you create guidelines for how guests interact with your space.

• Guests can use the kitchen to make food, but I specify our own meal times so we don’t feel invaded. —Francoise, Paris, France
  • Specify if they can use the washing machine and the shower freely or only during certain time slots. —Emily, Italy
  • For me, saying this is paramount: "This is a non-smoking home." Guests are allowed to smoke on the back patio so that non-smokers can sit on the front patio. —Gerlinde, Kempen, Germany
  • Be friendly and flexible, but do NOT be a pushover! My check-in is 4 p.m. and you ask to check-in at 10:30 a.m.? I reply: "Unfortunately that will not be possible as my current guests won't check out until 11 a.m. and it takes a couple hours to make sure the room is cleaned completely. If you'd like to drop your luggage off at 11 a.m., I'm happy to allow that and arrange to have the room cleaned a little early for you. How does 2 p.m. sound?" —Suzanne, Wilmington, North Carolina

Make the stays memorable

Personal touches such as homemade breakfast, decor by local artists, and even a piece of chocolate can make a guest’s stay special. Here are more ideas from hosts:

• For me [breakfast is] the most fun time because we converse a lot. Many guests choose my listing for the organic breakfast, which is in the title. —Celine, Saumur, France
  • I slept in the private room I've listed to get a feel of it to establish how warm/cold it can get, and experience it first hand how guests would experience it. I've added a natural timber, tiered plant stand beside the bed where guests can place their phones, books, drinks, etc., and it’s become a talking point. —Helen, Auckland, New Zealand
  • I added leaflets about the city, magazines. We [decorate with] paintings by local artists. Guests appreciate this and often ask me where they can buy them. We added a folding desk because we have a lot of guests on business trips. —Emmanuelle, Rennes, France
  • I arranged the rooms as I would like to be hosted. In the rooms, there are spare towels, a kettle with cups, tea and coffee, and glasses. There are even basic pharmacy items. —Christine, Clohars-Carnoët, France
  • I added an extendable plug and power strip, and each room has a night lamp. In the evening, I always put two glasses of fresh water out so [guests] do not have to get up at night, which means less noise. —Ana, Galicia, Spain
  • Supply ear plugs for yourself—seriously! Place a few Breathe Easy nose strips in a little dish with a little handmade sign: “If you feel like you would like to try, please go ahead!” —Cathie, Darwin, Australia

Ask about interaction

How do you know when to spend time with guests and when to give them their space? Hosts say it’s easy: just ask them ahead of time how much interaction they’d like to have. They also suggested some other details to keep in mind:

• Some guests are shy because they’re scared of disturbing others, so I [invite] them to join others around the table. —Emily, Italy
  • Business people, I see little, as they are often with clients and they want to have their peace in the evening. For tourists, I give them a lot of insider tips for the city and sometimes they make it clear they want to do something together. And solo travelers are always well organized and have a lot of interesting political and cultural discussions. —Christa, Munich, Germany
  • Be open and neutral: your guests have different world views and politics. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn. Stay neutral to start with and let conversations evolve naturally. —Kath, Albany, Australia

You’re sharing a part of your home, but also a part of yourself. Once you have a few housekeeping details squared away, the benefits really begin. Paul, a host from London, put it best: “I see every guest as a chance to learn something new and get to know a person I may not have otherwise met! Some have been really interesting, been from a walk of life I have never walked, and have views and opinions I don't share. But I love meeting these people and sharing my space with them. There really is not much more personal than opening your private home to an absolute stranger when you are living there too, but also there is nothing more rewarding!”

51 Replies 51
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Connie0 it's also useful to have that info tucked away in your House Rules and in your Private House Manual

Lindsey53
Level 2
Ann Arbor, MI

Neither my house nor my guest room have air-conditioning and I have decided against installation.  I know that some August days here in Michigan can be uncomfortable. The guest room has a ceiling fan and two windows. To help guests avoid disappointment and to avoid hearing a guest exclaim, "Oh, you don't have air-conditioning?!" I write the guest several days before check-in to advise them to review the house rules and the list of amenities provided. On hot days, I provide the guest with a filled water mister. A misted sheet is a great way to feel cool enough to fall asleep, especially with an overhead fan. I also make sure that the guest always has a thermos of ice water along with some fresh slices of lemon. (My guests do not have access to the kitchen.)

Abigail72
Level 2
Llanfairfechan, United Kingdom

The cup of tea and a chat works well for us - we can find out about the guests' plans, offer advice and they can feel comfortable with us. Also the tour of the house - much easier to specify rules when you're in the location. Even simple things like showing how the shower works and where light switches are makes guests aware they can use them!

Therese78
Level 2
Daventry, United Kingdom

Absolutely Abigail - I do exactly the same and its a definite ice breaker!  Have even been known to spend the rest of the evening chatting over wine with my guests.  Its about how comfortable you feel with your guests and addressing both their and my own expectations.  I always get a little nervous before guests arrive so how must it be for them.

@Therese78just relax and don't feel nervous.

Enjoy life and meeting new people.

All the best

Sison0
Level 2
Quezon City, Philippines

I've been hosting private rooms for only 6 months but thru experience I've developed some House Rules that other's may find useful: 

A Php 3000 Environmental Deposit would be collected from guests upon entry. We are quite strict when it comes to the following: 
1. Missing towels/linen.
2. Smoking(cigarette butts/ashes)- not allowed inside building, allowed outside (10mts  away from Bldg.) but PICK UP butts and keep ashes in proper receptacles(provide your own ash tray).
3. Blood/vomit- stained linen and towels, vomit outside of toilet bowl or provided vomit containers. Vomiting in the sink causes plumbing problems. In case you really need to, use toilet paper to clean up (not towels)and throw in trash after.
4. Trash/Leftover food- Do not leave trash/food out in common areas, this will  attract stray cats and flies. 
5. Noise- as we are located in a private compound with other residents, no loud noise in public areas after 10pm. No karaoke machines, loudspeakers etc. allowed.
6. Party decorations- If you put up extraneous party decorations like balloon, streamers, etc. please take them down and home with you, and make sure not to damage or stain the walls/ceilings when putting them up or taking them down.
7. Flushing in toilet Bowl- Do not flush/throw tissues, napkins, cigarette butts or any  non immediately biodegrable in the toilet bowl. Throw them in the trash bin.
8. Cleanup after use- as we have shared spaces please clean up your trash and  common use items like plates, utensils, dining table and kitchen counter after use as a courtesy to other guests.
9. Trash segregation- segregating trash is strictly enforced by City ordinances. We have separate bins for biodegradable and non biodegradable trash. Please throw trash in the correct receptacle.
10. Doors and Windows- please keep doors, windows and screens closed at all times,  this is for your own security and health as we do not want intruders or mosquitoes inside the house.

Deposit will be forfeited if any of these conditions were discovered upon checkout otherwise deposit will be refunded in full.

Guests must sign a waiver if they intend to go to the pool area, since this is a private residential compound there is no lifeguard on station.

Please don't leave personal belongings unattended in common areas.

April96
Level 5
Oldsmar, FL

Same issue. I live in Tampa FL, where a/c is brutally expensive, so I keep my thermostat higher. 

I've done a few things to my guest room and haven't gotten any complaints so far:

-I "mirror tinted" the window that gets the most sun (in addition to shades and light gauzy curtains.

-I have a ceiling fan in there

-I keep a fan (and a self-regulating portable space heater) in their closet.

-I use all light weight breathable bedding with other weight options in the closet. 

There's not a lot else I can do...the point of doing Airbnb is to make money, not spend everything on higher power and water bills for people staying.

April96
Level 5
Oldsmar, FL

I have a question about the profile picture change. Does anyone else find it disconcerting and totally unfair? 

I understand the move, but I feel a few have ruined it for all. As a host who has NEVER discriminated against any race, religion, gender or age (and I have the reviews to show for it), I'm also a single woman hosting from my shared home. I feel I have the RIGHT to know exactly who is coming in. As is, I feel Airbnb doesn't provide ENOUGH protection and verification. Now they're pulling the profile pictures until we book? And of course, we're screwed if we cancel. 

It's frustrating that the entire Airbnb experience is geared toward the renter, not the hosts. Everything is focused on being about them: their safety, their money in cancelation policies, their happiness. 

With every change meant to improve, I feel it's one more right stripped away from hosting - and it makes me more and more reluctant to do this. 

I live in a crazy state, which is also a huge tourist destination. Florida crime is so insane, random and unmotivated at times, it befuddles even the best investigators. My family has been against this from day 1. Now, with no photos for potential renters, they're really having issues. 

Am I alone in this creeped out feeling? 

I also nondiscriminate.  Hosts should be allowed to view profile photographs, absolutely.  Any photographs which are not full frontal, and without huge mirrored sunglasses or a wide-brimmed hat which covers one's face, should be a must.  Going in the wrong direction, to my way of thinking.

Yep.

Bill349
Level 2
Boulder City, NV

I provide a many complementary amenities. I tend to get a lot of people from out of the United States. 1 amenity that I overlooked that I recently added was electrical converters from Europe to the states. Simple plugin that allows guests to use their electrical devices in America. Under $4 for two on Amazon

Rebecca86
Level 2
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom

We've only had one issue where an individual hadn't fully read the description and so hadn't realised this was a room in a family home...only so much a host can do...

I host two private rooms and the guests also have their own private bathroom. I find it so frustrating when people don’t thouroghly read a listing before booking and then act surprised when they realize I have a dog that also stays in the home. Not only do I mention my fur baby in the listing description but I also have a picture of her included in the listing photos with a caption stating “this is my dog Daisy, she will also be in the home during a guests stay.”

i also have central air with one thermostat for my two story house. During the summer it gets very hot, obviously because I live in the Nevada desert. My ac unit does the best it can but to avoid having an electric bill that’s $400-500 a month I keep the thermostat at 81. I’ve had guests that will try and lower it to 65! I understand that it’s hot, but 65 degrees!? There’s no way my air conditioner is going to be able to maintain a temperature that low during the summer. I am looking into having some type of heat blocking window film placed on my windows to hopefully help with keeping the house cool. But people just need to understand that if you come to Las Vegas in the middle of the summer it’s going to be hot.  

April96
Level 5
Oldsmar, FL

Kimberly, 

When I lived in Vegas, it was BRUTAL. The a/c would run nonstop and my place never got below 86-89 degrees...until I foiled the windows. THAT worked. I have reflective tint here in FL and that helps but flat out foil is what you need in NV, then put a light blocking shade/curtain over it. You'll see an IMMEDIATE difference. If it's too dark, just do 80% of the window/s but heat will come in...however, it's easily torn down for winter. 

Additionally, you can use a plastic seal to avoid a/c leaks, same kind used up north to keep out drafts/keep in heat. Foil, add the plastic, heat with the hair dryer, add a light blocking shade...voila. See a massive drop in temperature! It's like using a reflective shade for your car - but in your house.

Wait... I can actually use regular ol tin foil?!?! Because if that’s the case, that will save me sooooo much money! That tinted window film that blocks out heat is like $40 for a roll that’s 4ftby17ft and I have a lot of big windows in my house.