How do you manage staycation bookings?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you manage staycation bookings?

33555601_Plus_190717-134.jpg

Hi everyone,

Here in England, we are seeing the lessening of lockdown measures - today’s protocol means hospitality is restarting and many Hosts are celebrating booked summer calendars. 

However, leaving the country is still on the no-go, and that’s true for many countries the world over. I, for one, am itching to take a little break within the British isles which is what is being called a “Staycation” - holidaying in your own country.

As someone who’s living on the search platform as a guest at the moment for Dorset, Devon and Wales, it would be great to see how Hosts are changing (if anything) for a summer of staycations.

What’s different about Hosting staycation guests? What other considerations do you have?

Cheers!

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

95 Replies 95

Maybe I’ll have to come up with a new word for you next time!  Lol.... 😎

Keith19
Level 2
Hardwick, United Kingdom

From my point of view this is spectacularly insensitive and the author really should consider who she is sending to. I host in France. I've lost a year, and it ain't getting better any time soon.

I think @Keith19, the point of the thread was to assist hosts able to consider opening and to raise positivity. Everyone has suffered in some for or another and I’m sorry for your situation.

But before you charge criticism at the creator of the thread, please observe that this is a global forum, where at any given time, hosts are hosting or blocking their calendars, because of Covid19: by choice or government requirements. It’s very likely that if circumstances change, I have to close again and you and others will be open.

I’m wishing you a financially better and more safe 2021. 

Sandra957
Level 3
Birmingham, United Kingdom

I have altered my listing to a request to book rather than the guest being able to book straight away. It’s self catering accommodation and I find at present this works best as I ask for what reason they are wanting to stay

Vanessa16
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Sandra957

yes I also stopped instant bookings.

I feel this gives me more control over who I am hosting. I am very cautious atm who I host and their situation ie are they one bubble.

I was hosting a guest during lockdown ( in my self contained property) who was self isolating for 10 days after travelling into uk from abroad. This was before the government rule of staying in a hotel at the airport. The police came around to ask the guest questions to make sure they were not on holiday.

I was phoned up twice by the police so they could check also.

It was quite alarming. 
On reflection I tried to see this as a positive thing that the police were keeping on top of     the covid situation.

Vanessa

Lynne57
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

For those of us who share our homes with guests (the original AirBnB ideal) we are not able to host at the moment and I’m not sure when I will feel comfortable doing so even when rules are relaxed. 
And a staycation is holidaying in your own home not your own country (stay not away !) 

HI Lynne 

You're right about "staycation" now being filched to mean "stay in your own country vacation"! There's a lot of misappropriation of words going round e.g. "road map" (grrr - my pet hate!) for "plan", and "Circuit breaker" for "infection breaker", to name but two 😞

Good luck for the coming year!

Best wishes

Sam

@Lynne57

Mary1717
Level 2
Hinckley, United Kingdom

Yes, hosting again but extremely carefully, checking more closely the reasons people are asking to book to ensure they stay within the current restrictions.  Very wary of people going over the line.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Stephanie 

Is this question being asked because many local "staycation" guests are getting blocked by the Airbnb algorithm that is supposed to prevent parties? I know I have had a few local guests blocked. Many others here have reported the same . . . 

I am in the England - Amesbury, Wiltshire where guests seldom stay longer than 2 nights because our main attraction is Stonehenge and the beautiful City of Salisbury, although it is a great base if touring the area  by car.

I have blocked my calendar until the summer solstice when I have two UK guests coming. I am waiting for confirmation that they both will have had both their jabs by then (my second one is due early May) and we'll play it by ear after that.

Being on my own I am super-cautious and although I used to let guests eat their own cereals, fruit etc (I provide milk, tea and coffee), in the kitchen that can no longer be done - not for the foreseeable future anyway. They have their own bathroom so no worries there.

When did AirBNB start taking 3% plus VAT from hosts? Don't we do enough?

@Stephanie 

Victoria173
Level 3

I can't host yet as I have only a room to offer, not a self contained property ... and I live in Handsworth, Birmingham, a very multicultural area that is only 4 miles from the city centre but one of the less shiny suburbs, so the single stay I squeezed in last year has lost me my Superhost standing as he left text praising my wonderful hosting but rated me 4 out of 5 because he didn't like the location. For a two night working stay. How many times? Location is the only thing that gets me lower than 5* ratings. Why can't Airbnb refine it to have a lower effect when people are just travelling through?

Sandra957
Level 3

Hi @Victoria173 I to have been marked down on location now I put it on my page that the place is very rural and not in the city centre, I m also in Birmingham 

@Victoria173 @Sandra957 Hello and welcome from over the seas in Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand.

I had a delightful well educated about the history of the world & circular economy young man who was originally from Birmingham and in more recent times living in Perth, Western Australia stay with me before his return to Australia last year.

He was sick to death of feeling imprisoned in New Zealand and itching to get back to Australia!

The average person here has just gone about life how they chose to as the New Zealand Government were found last year to be in breach of our Legal Rights with the initial Lockdown, despite it having been justified - subsequent information, including Miss Ardern having been found to be adhering strictly word for word to Agenda 2030 have come out which we all have our own opinions about.

Make sure you include a Map of your location with how many miles/ Kilometres from the township your sweet homes are in your listing for future Guests.

You can also provide Feedback, in a positive manner for the next potential Guests can read, in response to your Guests ranking you down on location.

All the best

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Victoria173 @Sandra957

I live in a similar area to you (although about a mile from the city centre).

You might want to have a look and see how I reference my area in my listing to help manage expectations.

When a guest inquiries or books I remind them about the area and say I'm happy for them to cancel penalty free within first 48 hours if they are not comfortable.

This has helped upped my location ratings and I know regularly get five star ratings for location.

Kerry78
Level 2
Reydon, United Kingdom

Well- both our cottages welcomed our first holidaymakers today! Both groups happy and sunshine too! Hoorah! We've been open for essential workers but this is full on from now!