Making reviews more fair for hosts

Airbnb
Official Account

Making reviews more fair for hosts

_MG_6520.jpg

Many of you have asked us how Airbnb can protect hosts from one-off bad reviews. When this question came up at the most recent Host Q&A, we told you we were working on ways to make the review process more fair for hosts. Specifically, we made 2 promises:

1. We committed to launching a tool to detect outlier reviews—or one-off bad reviews. A common example is when there’s a discrepancy between the overall rating and the category ratings provided by a guest (when a guest gives a host 5 stars for cleanliness, accuracy, and the other categories but a 2-star rating overall, for instance).
  2. Based on your feedback, we also committed to exploring ways to help guests better understand that the location category rating is meant to be objective. The location category rating doesn’t impact your overall rating (or Superhost status), but we know it’s important to you, and we want to make sure the whole system is as fair as possible.

Today, we’re excited to announce two improvements to the review process that directly address these issues. Since these changes have been introduced, we’ve already noticed a tangible uptick in more accurate, fair reviews for hosts, and we hope they solve some of your pain points. Here’s what’s new:

One-off review alerts

We’ve added a step to the review process for guests when they give a host an inconsistent overall rating. For instance, the guest may have given 4-star or higher ratings for all the categories (cleanliness, accuracy, etc.), but then give an overall rating of less than 3 stars.

The new pop up screen asks guests: “Is this right?” And goes on to explain that they rated their overall stay lower than they rated it in specific categories. It gives guests an option to either change the rating or ignore the alert.

This new alert has led to higher overall review ratings for hosts. Since we launched, we’ve seen a 2.8% drop in 3-star reviews and a 3.9% drop in 2-star reviews. While these percentages may seem small, they’re driving real improvements in the accuracy of our review system, and hosts are benefitting.

Location, location, location

We’ve heard from you that the location rating can be particularly frustrating because some of you have experienced guests dinging you in this category, unexpectedly, after great stays. This category is tricky. It gives valuable information to prospective travelers, which we don’t want to lose. At the same time, we hear your concern that you’re being graded for something you can’t control: guests’ opinion of your location. This opinion is inherently subjective—one person’s “rustic rural retreat” may be another’s “too far from public transportation.” So we made it more clear in the review process that guests are rating the accuracy of your location description, rather than the location itself.

Now, when a guest goes to rate you in the location category, if they give you less than 3 stars, they see an explanation: “Was the listing’s location not described accurately?” So far, this has led to a 0.8% increase in the average rating for location.

While we were working on this, we also made similar improvements to the value category. If a guest gives you less than 3 stars there, they’ll see this message: “What would have made this listing a better value?” This has led to a 0.25% increase in the average rating for value.

These changes were designed to begin to address your concerns around unfair reviews, and to help make sure that guests understand what ratings mean. We still have a journey ahead of us to keep making the review system better, and you’ll continue to see updates from us on this throughout the year. Thank you for hosting!

1,283 Replies 1,283

Two people booked our home with the request of 2 bedrooms. We gave them our fully equipped downstairs,  which includes a queen bedroom & a double twin bedroom. 

We were marked down for locking the upstairs bedrooms. The upstairs has 2 bedrooms with 3 twins each.

The profile of our Airbnb 

states this & has photos of all. Our site also states there is no wifi. Yet we were given a lower rating for not offering the upstairs & no wifi. 

Our rating is still Superstar but dropped to 4.8. Why should our rating suffer when we clearly state something but visitors have not read the listing? 

Chris-and-Yoko0
Level 4
Nerang, Australia

Airbnb is full of nasty ungrateful types. I have shut down my site because of the same reason. The guests are getting worse each time and expect the ritz for under $100 a night. Airbnb head office is full of the same ungrateful types as they believe the customer is always right, even though they are completely out of order and nasty. Airbnb dont believe the owners have any rights at all. Stuff them. i!!!!!!!!

Alfa30
Level 2
Franklin, NH

These are good changes but should apply to 4 star ratings and lower, since a 4 is a low host rating on airbnb

Mic-and-Leeah0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

As a "PERK", allow hosts to delete completely one outlier review every 6 months. - or at least once a year! I have spectacular ratings, then along comes someone who on the LAST day of his reservation starts sending me photos of how dirty the place was. I responded to him, decided not to even bother writing a review. Of course the last day he wrote a terrible review. It is so obvious that his review is so different than the other ones and pulled my rating way down. A review like that, we should be able to delete. At least once a year. Give us that "perk". 

Yes there are definitely many unstable angry people out there who deliberately persecute good people because of their own problems.

I’ve been hosting since 2018 and back then super host status was 4.0 average. Which I feel is reasonable. I’m a super host now with over 4500 reviews and 4.83 average and yes it is not easy. 

I agree that the review process on hosts is not fair. While a 5 star only gives you 1 point . A review of 4 stars is -4 and a 3 star is -8. The math works that each time you lose a star it basically erases 4 of your 5 star review. Meaning a 1 star review has more weight than 16 , 5 star reviews ! 

Also what is unfortunate is that if you have 100 reviews that are 5 star , and one guest gives you a 1 star , it will be almost mathematically impossible for you to ever get back to 5 stars. 

100 * 5 star + 1 * 1 star = 501 stars / 101 reviews = 4.96

That’s how the math works. You divide out your total number of stars by the amount of reviews you have . 

Also I feel that the host review should be an average of all the ratings . This is how Airbnb calculates the guest review. They do not have an overall. So their review is a combination of all their reviews. 

While a hosts review is only out of 5 stars . A guest review is essentially out of 15 stars. 
it’s much easier to get an A on a test with 15 questions than 5 . 

it would be nice if they made a curve where they drop our lowest grade . So that each time you get super host , instead of offering us $100 to spend with Airbnb which doesn’t help . Allow us to remove any 1 low rating review. To help us get our rating back to where it should be . 

I do appreciate Airbnb educating guests on review practices , that is nice and helpful. 

I just think it’s unfortunate that one guest , who has no reviews and has never used Airbnb can show up , not understand the Airbnb process and then give a low review and breaking our rating. Then Airbnb is nice enough to send us a listing issue email , with a risk of your listing being suspended. 

Also they should introduce super guests. Those with great and perfect reviews who understand Airbnb and respect hosts . This way we can have the choice of only accepting guests that our worthy of all of our hard work. 

100% Correct. Airbnb is too hard on the Host and soft on the Guest.

Fiona659
Level 2
Merstone, United Kingdom

This topic is now 3 to 4 years old and still the problem has not been addressed by Airbnb.

I'm a fairly new host and thankfully had no reason to contact Airbnb until I had one completely at odds review with all my other reviews. The guest clearly couldn't read as on a number of occasions I warn "Do not use google maps or sat nav as they will take you the wrong way" "Please keep the directions to hand"

This guest said the property was hard to find google maps had taken him down 2 unmanageable roads. As a result he marked the property down. He also claimed the location was noisy when nearly all reviews say how quiet and peaceful. We are in the middle of the Isle of Wight UK in the midst of farmland.

I in my naivety thought I will get Airbnb to not take this review into account with my Super Host status as it was so clearly completely out of line.

With Airbnb I was met with annoying platitudes, scripted responses about the review not breaching review guide lines etc etc The review would not be removed (not that I asked for that). I simply replied to the review pointing out this guests errors.

Surely it is not beyond  a programming change to simply ignore a completely outlier review for the calculation of Super Host status?

Fortunately I have not so far been subjected to any revenge reviews as some others have mentioned which must be an awful experience but really this is a matter that Airbnb should address to the satisfaction of their hosts after all we are the means of the money stream.

Christine1615
Level 2
South Perth, Australia

hi , I suggest each guest needs to look at our map and location of our listing.. I got a bad review because I wasn’t close enough to the CBD of Perth I’m 3 kilometres from it!! That Buses didn’t run before 6.30am evidently My Fault also!!!

In my City Perth and Australia in general we  need to plan transport, I’m surprised how few guests hire a car!? And I offer free parking..

My State of Western Australia is 3,000 kilometres from top to bottom that’s roughly the same amount distance between New York and Los Angeles… 

Best regards

chrissy Perth WA 🇦🇺