Test your knowledge about carbon monoxide safety

Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Test your knowledge about carbon monoxide safety


Carbon monoxide exposure can cause deadly poisoning, but it’s preventable,  according to experts at the International Association of Fire Chiefs. Test your knowledge about these common carbon monoxide myths, and take steps to reduce risks in your space.


Myth: Carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are the same thing.

Fact: Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, poisonous gas that can kill people and animals when it builds up inside a home. Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is a natural gas that’s relatively harmless in small quantities, such as the bubbles in carbonated beverages.


Myth: All gas has a smell, so it’s easy to tell when there’s a carbon monoxide leak. 

Fact: Carbon monoxide is odorless and impossible to detect without an alarm.


Myth: I have all electric appliances, so I don’t have to worry about carbon monoxide.

Fact: Although electric appliances do not emit carbon monoxide, CO fumes could seep into your home if you use a backup generator or have an attached garage.


Myth: My place has a lot of windows and open air, so I don’t need to worry about carbon monoxide.

Fact: Drafty homes can still build up unsafe levels of carbon monoxide from outside sources.


Understanding the risks of carbon monoxide exposure and installing alarms on each floor of your home can help detect the presence of CO. Airbnb will cover the cost of your first carbon monoxide alarm if you have an active listing. Find out more on the Resource Center.


If you’ve already installed a CO alarm, did you update the safety information in your listing? What other safety features do you have at your place?



Please follow the Community Guidelines

21 Replies 21
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Bhumika we do not require a Carbon monoxide alarm by NSW rules for registration but because we have a garage attached to cottage we have had to have a heat alarm hard-wired in the cottage for NSW regulations. Reason being if a power tool or battery is faulty it gives off heat before smoke or smell.

Level 3
Livingstone, Zambia

I think that CO alarms, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers are a must in every guest house. My country doesn't reinforce the use of carbon monoxide alarms in guest houses, but they are vigilant on the presence of the latter two. I think that it's a must that one uses all three. But I don't know how much of the false alarms will come from smoke detectors since most homes often burn rubbish in yards.

I'd be happy to test my knowledge about carbon monoxide safety. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have, and I'll do my best to provide accurate and helpful information on the topic...................


We have both smoke and CO alarms in our listing.  Some other safety features we include: fire extinguisher;  2 means of egress; grab ** bar for bathtub; motion sensor light for hallway, dusk to dawn outdoor lighting, solid core doors with self closures for both suite and entranceway......................


**[Link removed - Community Center Guidelines ]

Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Absolutely mandatory. A very small expense for the safety of guests and my family that live on site. 

We leverage monitored Smoke and CO detectors in all of our properties.  It was an inexpensive investment to ensure the safety of our guest and property!

Level 3
Molfetta, Italy

Indeed, a CO (carbon monoxide) detector, smoke alarms, and ABC fire extinguishers are essential safety items for any home. These devices can help protect you and your guests in case of emergencies, providing early warnings for potential hazards like carbon monoxide leaks or fires, and enabling you to take appropriate action. It's crucial to have them in place to ensure a safe environment for everyone☺️