After many months listing on Airbnb not 1 booking

Ayuk39
Level 2
Denpasar, Indonesia

After many months listing on Airbnb not 1 booking

I would like Airbnb to look into the fact that after 5 months we didn't receive one single booking.
From Booking.com we received a total of 23 bookings
Something is wrong and I cannot figure out what the problem is.
Our villa is 4 minutes walking to Double Six beach in Bali and we only get high reviews (from Booking.com)
Could anybody please tell me what's wrong.

Listing's linkhttps://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/823769422673873430

Kind regards, Jos

18 Replies 18
Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Ayuk39 

I see that you have already adjusted the price on Airbnb.

Comparing prices is not easy.

On Booking.
com, all commissions are charged to the host. This will be about 18% when Booking.com also collects the rent.

You can see this in the payout specification.

On Airbnb,
the commission is divided between the host and the guest.
You have one review,
so you have had a guest through Airbnb once.

With that reservation, you can see exactly how much commission is charged to the host and how much to the guest.

Then there is the issue of discounts on Booking.
com.

Most guests have some discount when they book on Booking.com. This also depends on your settings.

A "genius discount" is often around 10%. A "mobile discount" can also be around 10%.

Indeed,
many Dutch people come to Bali. Given the flight duration and ticket prices, these will be much less often spontaneous, short-term bookings. You started in July 2023

This is different for guests from Australia: low flight prices and short flight time.

Kind regards,
Bob

Ayuk39
Level 2
Denpasar, Indonesia

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your detailled information.

Your input is very much appriciated.

At Booking.com the discounts are indeed confusing and difficult to understand. With the Genius guests discounts are even more difficult to understand. I however more look at the incoming results and as long as these are satisfactory it's fine to me.

It's just that I also would like to see more (more then 1) bookings from Airbnb. I indeed lower the rate on Airbnb and furthermore there is not much I can add at this moment.

I need a minimum rate of Euro 195 per night to earn back our lease costs and for example electricity, laundry and housekeeping costs.

Unfortunately almost all guests have the habit to 24/7 run the aircons even if they spend all day at the beach. Guests prefer to come home in a cold villa with cold bedrooms.

Hartelijk dank en met vriendelijke groeten,

Jos

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Ayuk39 

I own three villas on the tropical island of Curacao, where electricity and water costs are notably high.
Each villa is equipped with separate meters for these utilities.
To cover the expenses, I charge guests based on the meter readings and the actual cost of their water and electricity usage, documented through meter photographs.

In addition to the utility charges, I require a security deposit from guests.
I explicitly outline these policies in my house rules and reiterate them in the confirmation email sent after a reservation is made. In these communications, I explain that I refrain from incorporating a fixed average amount in the rent. This approach allows me to fairly assess charges and, importantly, encourages and rewards guests who are mindful of their energy consumption.

I provide information on the average daily utility cost and have consistently followed this practice for the past five years. The overwhelming majority of guests—99.9%—understand and accept these terms without issue. For the small fraction that may initially find it unclear, I take the time to explain the rationale, resulting in a high level of understanding and compliance.

Ayuk39
Level 2
Denpasar, Indonesia

Hi Bob, thank you again for your nice response.

Great to hear that you own villas in Curacao.
I was there once and it's a beautiful island.

Here in Bali we mostly do long term villa rentals.

We rent out villas for a minimum period of 1 year with full payment in advance. All monthly costs are for the renter.
We get clients through our website: balilongtermvillarentals

The villa in Legian is our first experiment in regards to short term renting. So far this goes very well.

Your idea of using an electricity meter is great and if your experience is that the overwhelming majority of your guests—99.9%—understand and accept these terms without issue then I will also start this feature.

Electricity here is provided based on prepaid meters from PLN the electricity company. I only have to figure out how to implement this feature. When people check in there must be at least a saldo to start on and then there is the issue when they check out and there is an overbalance. 

However I can always calculate the overbalance and give the guest the overpaid balance back in cash. because everything is pre-paid I don't have to worry if the guest "forgets" to pay me back when they check out.

As a result I will be able to reduce the daily rate because electricity is no longer included in the rental price. 

Thank you very much and have a great day Bob