Airbnb paying our MA state occupancy tax

Airbnb paying our MA state occupancy tax

It does not appear that Airbnb has paid any of our Massachusetts state occupancy tax. What should I do?

Best,

Karen

5 Replies 5
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Karen3368   What taxes are shown on your listing?  (Go to Menu, Listing, Pricing and Availability, Pricing, Taxes, Edit button)  Also, if the individual guest record shows that AirBnB collected the tax, then you may assume that they have paid the tax to the State on your behalf.

You will not get a record of the payment to the State.  You have to take it on faith (which is scary).

If the Massachusetts Occupancy tax is NOT shown under the taxes that AirBnB is collecting and disbursing in your state, then you need to edit your listing.  Use the Custom Tax Collection link.  From this point forward, those taxes will be included in the disbursement from AirBnB, and you will have to file the tax form and send in the collected tax yourself.  

If you (via AirBnB)  did not collect all of the required taxes from your guests, you will need to calculate the amount owed and pay the State out of your earnings.  If you cannot determine that amount yourself, print out your earnings reports and talk to an accountant.  

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Karen3368 ,

@Lorna170 has already given some really good advice here! But did you also connect with Airbnb Customer Support to get some clarification? You can also connect with Local Host Clubs, where you can post your query and get more information related to Tax regulations and processes for your local areas (Airbnb plus State). This will also help you get more clarity about your issue, I hope.

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you both for your responses. Our taxes are listed on the site & Airbnb indicates they have been paid. However they are not showing up on our MA state account as paid. 

is there a phone number for the Customer Support?

Much Appreciated,

Karen 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Karen3368 , 

You can connect with the Airbnb Support team through the contact page. If you need more assistance connecting with Airbnb for your issue, you can also look at this resource Guide: How to contact Airbnb. I hope this helps you to reach out for necessary help.

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Karen3368  Contacting customer support is probably not going to answer your question.

Are you filing the appropriate tax returns?  I file monthly, quarterly and annual State returns showing the amount that was earned, that zero tax is due and also filing a letter stating that the taxes are collected by AirBnB, not disbursed to me and are paid on my behalf by AirBnB.

This gives me a paper trail showing that I have followed the tax law by provided the required information and prompting them to verify payment by AirBnB.  My state (NC)  has finally updated their tax forms to include a line where I can enter the amount of taxes paid by third-parties like AirBnB.