CRITICAL BUG with co-hosting (lack of) access--WHEN WILL THS BE FIXED???

CRITICAL BUG with co-hosting (lack of) access--WHEN WILL THS BE FIXED???

I'm both the primary host of a listing--supported by a co-host--and serve as co-host for a couple of listings.  

Since early December, my co-host and I have encountered a number of technical glitches specifically having to do with a cohost's access / security privileges, which are negatively impacting the guest experience.

In a nutshell, though I'm officially a co-host of a particular listing, I lost access to the message thread with a guest.  The thread disappeared entirely from my Airbnb Inbox, and if I try to access via the Calendar view the booking and then the message thread, I got a "You don't have access to this thread" error.  When the guest replies, I *may* re-gain access to the message thread, only to lose it again later after I send a reply.  Similarly, if the guest wishes to alter the booking, I can't review the request or approve it.  

I have received (some of the) notifications sent to my regular email--however clicking via the regular email while I'm on my laptop or iPhone gets me the same "access" error message/glitch.  In some cases, say when the (primary) host sends a message to the guest, I don't even get the email or mobile phone notifications anymore and had to ask my co-host/host if a message was sent.  Previously I would have received a mobile phone notification and an email.

The above "restricted access" issues have happened to me:

* Multiple times with the same guest/message thread

* More than one guest/message thread for the same listing

* More than one listing

* Regardless of whether I access Airbnb from my iPhone or laptop (via Google Chrome)

And it has only become more frequent in the last 3 weeks. 

The same is happening to my co-host when she's trying to help out on messages for guests booked at the listing where I'm the primary host.  Similar (lack of) access issues are occurring with respect to writing guest reviews.  As a co-host I was able to write guest reviews, but not since December.

All this despite our making NO changes to our listings, hosting/cohosting arrangements, etc.

I called Customer Service on at least two occasions before Christmas, and though they were able to replicate the issue, they refused to escalate and keep open a support ticket because apparently the Engineering is already aware of this and has been working on it. For the last 3+ weeks there have been no updates or resolutions, so we tried the following workarounds ourselves but none worked:

* Removing myself as a co-host and then adding me back on--or removing my co-host from the listing where I'm the primary host and adding her back on.  It worked only temporarily and we started to encounter the same issues again.

* Re-installing the app, clearing cache, logging out, etc.  Been there, done it.

Searching the Airbnb community for cohost (lack of) access issues has revealed I'm NOT the only host/co-host encountering this.  There were several similar posts from prior years but those seem to be unrelated.  I can't help but have the suspicion Engineering has implemented last month some non-essential oh-so-clever "coding enhancement" and in the mean time broke the rather MISSION CRITICAL security model governing host/cohost system privileges.

How are we able to stay on top of guest communications, enquiries, etc. when our system access is being hindered by these technical glitches--and seemingly little Engineering attention is assigned to resolve this ASAP???   There is SIGNIFICANT IMPACT to the guest not to mention the hosting experience...but let's not kid ourselves which one Airbnb priorities. 

70 Replies 70

If you strip back to the basics and consider Airbnb's core technology and processes, there really are just two supersets of activities--the booking engine (spanning the catalogue of listings, calendars, bookings, etc.) and host-guest interactions.  Everything else is just bells and whistles.

We may not have a lot of data points--though from the posts above, and this is just from hosts who found my post--the technical glitch appears widespread.  This is a serious bug impacting core Airbnb activities.

As maligned as Customer Service may be, the resolution is beyond them at this point.  The fix will have to come from Engineering.

At what point does Ari Balogh's team find this sufficiently critical to allocate and prioritise proper technical resources to address this?  How many hosts/co-hosts/guests need to be impacted before the appropriate escalation is taken?

https://news.airbnb.com/en-au/about-us/leadership/ari-balogh/

Glad I found this thread before I start attempting fixes on my side.

A notice board (more like a socre card) of technical matters worked on by engineering may be useful, so we can see what they are working on. If we could then vote on the issues, engineering could see what is most important to hosts and guests. That may not alter the order in which they address the technical issues immediately, but it may help them approach matters differently in the future.

In the mean-time, I suspect I will be sharing passwords with my mother, who is also my co-host. She lives on the premises, so it's not too much of a challenge, but I'll be away for some time, so she needs access.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Philip2002 your suggestion makes absolute sense....if Airbnb's intention was to fix the problem for us 🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Fraser22  is this something that you need to be aware of in your role to help @Jo-and-Ivan0 @Emily487 @Lisa32 @Keith-and-Randy0 @David1624 and others?
I've also been having random failures of Notification Txt msgs again so a repeat issue...

Thanks in Advance on behalf of us all if you would please provide us an update @Fraser22 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Jo-and-Ivan0 et al,

So sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue and thank you all for the level of details you have provided to reproduce the issue. The team have identified and are fixing this issue now. I'm awaiting an expected ETA for the fix to be deployed.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Stephanie 

Despite what they're telling you Steph, it won't get fixed. It may get patched up (for a while), but it won't get fixed. This same bug - amongst others - has been popping up in the co-host system since 2017 - it's just that more users are being affected by it now. What else can one expect when an entire platform is built on dirty code? 

Still very odd though, that this particular incarnation of the "bug" has been causing operational nightmares for users for the past two and a half months, only now has been identified by the team, and still remains unfixed. One would have to wonder if it's not some sort of push by Airbnb, to funnel the co-hosting business of regular hosts, towards the commercial operators and the "professional" property management companies, who, I believe, use API-connected software that’s integrated with Airbnb, and can publish listings and manage them directly through their own property management systems (PMS) or channel managers (CM).

The company does have form for knee-capping small co-hosts though, doesn't it? Like, for instance, when they abruptly discontinued the split payment feature for co-hosts (without warning or explanation), and subsequently disbanded the co-hosting marketplace on the platform, making it infinitely more onerous for hosts/owners and co-hosts to find, connect and do business with each other. Call me cynical, but it does seem suspiciously like they're making it nigh on impossible for regular co-hosts to operate efficiently and effectively. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Co-host-can-t-see-my-messages-to-guests/td-p/518471

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=co-host&location...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Airbnb-app-Unable-to-read-messages-as-a-host-cohost/td-p/85...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/H-E-L-P-co-host-technical-glitch-and-airbnb-still-haven-t-f...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Co-Hosts-getting-paid-from-AirBNB-instead-of-the-Host/m-p/8...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Strange-bug-not-able-to-see-your-guest-details-Includes-Fix...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/New-reservations-are-only-going-to-my-co-host/m-p/895827

Thank for your post @Susan17  very informative!

I followed one of your links which goes to the search results on "co-hosting"  You're absolutely right this may be a longstanding issue (same result, different cause?), but I just discovered how many other hosts/cohosts are encountering this same issue in the last few weeks. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=co-host&location...

On the first 3 pages alone I counted 9 other hosts/co-hosts posting in the last 24-48 hours about being impacted by this bug, and I haven't even opened any of the posts to count if more people may be reporting the problem in the replies.

It seems to be getting more widespread this time than the previous outbreaks.  It's not just a bug...it's a pandemic!

A couple of the old posts from 2018 and 2019 suggested removing oneself as a co-host and then adding back on as a workaround.  I tried this, the "lost" messages re-appeared in my Inbox temporarily but soon after the no access bug returned.  And since I was removed as a co-host, the system would only grant me access to all "forward" bookings from the time of my new/second co-hosting stint, so all my past messages written during my "original" co-hosting stint--in this case a couple of years--are NO longer available to me.  Ooops!

Sorry to say, it looks like it's not good news @Jo-and-Ivan0 - see @Jess2685 and @Sarah3183's posts below. The email they received is from iGMS, a Vacation Rental Channel Manager company, and one of Airbnb's connected software provider partners, so it's unlikely there's any mistake. 

Typical of Airbnb to leave everyone in the dark. The regular hosts who bear the brunt and suffer the consequences of their tinkering, are always the last to be told. 

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

All seems to be working fine at my end now.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Tony-And-Una0 ,

Thank you for sharing! Did you download an update? Can you let me know if it's working on both app and desktop? (sorry for the faff, and if you're busy, not a worry.) I'm just pinging to the team to check what they've done.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Good to hear @Tony-And-Una0 .  I just tried (logged out, clear cache, logged back in)...still stuck with no access.

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Hi Stephanie

Didn't do anything. It was just all fine this morning both on PC and on the app on my phone.

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Update - it's not 100% fixed. I can now see the bookings again and can message most of them. There are a few co-host bookings where I still can't message them.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you @Tony-And-Una0 for these details - relaying them now.

Thanks again,

Stephanie

-----

Jess2685
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

I received an email from IGMS this morning stating that co-hosting will no longer be supported by the Airbnb API and that we should disconnect all co-host arrangments. Can anyone confirm that Airbnb is moving away from co-hosting? Teams seems like it would be great- but you have to be the primary host on six listings to access it!