Camera inside the garage

Answered!
Katie1633
Level 1
San Carlos, CA

Camera inside the garage

Are we allowed to install a camera inside the garage? We leave the garage open to renters in case they want to use the washer/dryer, tools, or even take out bikes for a ride. However, we have snowblowers and even bikes that have monetary value and don't want to develop legs and walk away. Is this allowed?

1 Best Answer
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey there @Katie1633 👋

We asked the team, "are cameras or recording devices permitted in garages?" and they gave us the following response:

Hosts cannot place cameras in garages. Hosts are not allowed to have security cameras and recording devices that monitor any part of a listing’s interior.

I hope this helps. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

My understanding is no, they are no longer allowed. I would lock the garage and not make it available to guests anymore. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey there @Katie1633 👋

We asked the team, "are cameras or recording devices permitted in garages?" and they gave us the following response:

Hosts cannot place cameras in garages. Hosts are not allowed to have security cameras and recording devices that monitor any part of a listing’s interior.

I hope this helps. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks for sharing. This is quite disappointing to hear. A guest could pull a car full of unregistered guests into the garage and sneak them into the property. They could also load  up a car in the garage with a bunch of the homeowner's belongings and leave with them. It's unfortunate hosts are not allowed to have video monitoring for the door from the garage to the house.

I don't understand... according to AirBnB policy: 

Devices like doorbell cameras and noise decibel monitors continue to be permitted on Airbnb and can be an effective, privacy-protective way for Hosts to monitor security for their home and get ahead of issues like unauthorized parties. However, Hosts will be required to disclose the presence and general location of any outdoor cameras before guests book. These cameras will also be prohibited from monitoring indoor spaces of a listing and are not allowed in certain outdoor areas where there’s a greater expectation of privacy, like an enclosed outdoor shower or sauna. Hosts are also required to disclose the presence of noise decibel monitors, which assess decibel level only and do not record or transmit sounds or conversations and are only allowed in common spaces of listings.

The garage is outside the living space and as long as you are disclosing it on the listing I don't see how it wouldn't be allowed. It's not a shower or sauna and is in most homes a primary entrance/exit to the home. Hotel's and apartments all have cameras at every entrance/exit including the garages.

Has anyone pressed this issue? This seems like a no-brainer. 

Jamie, 

I completely agree with you and feel like Airbnb needs to continue to allow these cameras. I live over 4 hours from my rental. I have no way of knowing what is happening there without the camera. I only have one in the garage for now but plan to add several more to the exterior of the condo as soon as I can. I feel like it's a safety issue. I'm trying to keep my guests and my property safe, I have no interest in spying on anyone. 

Here is an agent confirming the exact opposite position today. This needs to be explicitly laid out in the official policy:

IMG_1835.jpeg

Ben3875
Level 2
Elora, TN

They should specifically call out the garage area with a specific decision. It is not heated or cooled and you go "inside the house" from there. I agree with the other comments about theft and unofficial guests and pets. And on top of all that... the liability of a car hitting the house inside the garage. 

• Hosts are not allowed to have security cameras and recording devices that monitor any part of a listing’s interior, such as the listing’s hallway, bedroom, bathroom, living room, or guest house, even if they’re turned off or disconnected. These prohibitions also apply to the common areas and shared spaces of private room listings (ex: a living room).

How to make them see this? I won’t be safe without a camera on the main entry door. I already had unauthorized guests coming through that garage and theft of multiple items through the garage even with the disclosed camera. God know what will happen without any. And what about a Tesla with Sentry inside the garage? What about garage door openers that have built in cameras???