Cancelling a reservation

Steve4078
Level 1
Portslade, United Kingdom

Cancelling a reservation

need help please!

so I booked an apartment yesterday, paid the money.

the host replied saying the apartment was not available but had another one! I asked for the details, but have heard nothing. If I cancel the reservation do I lose my money as it says no refund!

help please. Steve

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Steve4078 This feels like a classic bait and switch so I would get out of the booking ASAP. You normally get a 48hr cancellation period free of charge as long as the booking is at least 14 days away. That said the host, if they cannot host you, should be the one cancelling. I would call Airbnb on 020 3318 1111 and explain the situation to them and ask for your booking to be cancelled by them on behalf of this rather dodgy host.

Thank you. I believe the host is genuine enough, just seems strange to list a property that isn't available.

Thanks again 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's a classic scam called bait and switch.  @Steve4078 

If the property you saw wasn't available then the host shouldn't have had bookings open.

a minority of  hosts advertise attractive properties and then when guests book tell them it's full and then  try and get them to book an inferior property off platform -where you would have no protection if there's a problem.

report the host to Airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking 

Steve4078
Level 1
Portslade, United Kingdom

Thank you Helen