Challenges with a guest and Airbnb support

Magda634
Level 2
Theale, United Kingdom

Challenges with a guest and Airbnb support

Hi there, I would appreciate advice on my recent experience with Airbnb support team regarding a challenging guest.

I forgot to share instructions on how to turn boiler on at our apartment on guest arrival. My fault totally. As soon as the guest alerted me the following day, shared the instructions. I also phoned the support to ask how to compensate for inconvenience and was advised to issue 30% refund for the impacted night, which I did. 

the following day guests complains that there is still no hot water. I had asked them to send me a picture of the boiler and found that he didn’t press the boiler button, as per the instructions we shared a day before. The guest demands further compensation which I refused as in my view,  we provided everything as we should. We never had issues with any of our previous guests and the instructions are pretty clear, but it requires the guest not take action which is also mentioned in our listing. 

The guests contacted support who issued 35% discount on the entire booking, so that’s on top of the impacted night refund I had already issued.

The guest flicked the switch now and has hot water, with 3 more night remaining.

Maybe I’m missing something but I feel it’s unfair to heavily discount the entire booking without investigating it properly. If the support had reviewed the messages between me and the guest, they would see that guest is at fault for not following provided instructions. 

I’ve spent so much time on a phone trying to resolve this I have no energy to speak to another person from support.  I’m just gobsmacked that anyone can just call the support and secure discount without fully verifying the story. I got a message from the support about this and I was given an hour long slot to respond. Unfortunately it was a late evening and I was putting my daughter to sleep so my phone was on silence until the morning. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciate 

Magda 

0 Replies 0