Change cancellation policy for specific dates only

Answered!

Change cancellation policy for specific dates only

Hosts have asked for this feature apparently for years but it still cannot be done as far as I can see.  

I submitted feedback a couple times, crickets.

Support can't help, they are not airbnb.  They did agree would be a great feature!

Is there someone like an airbnb product manager who can review this request and do something about it? 

Or, would be nice to know why it cannot be done or why airbnb thinks it would be a bad feature.

Perhaps moderator can comment, or another host knows more.

This feature would be great for high demand dates like events. Thank you.

1 Best Answer

The guest would only need to be aware of the cancellation policy for the dates they reserve. They would not even know or need to know that other dates have a different policy. Just like different dates have different prices, different dates have different policy associated with them. Guests can figure it out by actually reading the agreement they sign upon confirming a reservation.  And if you think it's confusing, you don't have to use this feature on your listings. 

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

I've been asking for this for years!

A cancellation in high season August is not the same as a cancellation in low season!

We should be able to adapt cancellation policy to dates.

VRBO is implementing this.

Anyone who wants this feature please request it on the feedback form.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Dave52 ,

This is indeed an interesting feature request. As of now, we can make sure to forward your suggestion to the team. 

Reading your post and as Susan suggested, it seems you have already filled in the feedback form for the same through this page: https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback ?

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Bhumika Thank you for the attention!  Yes I submitted feedback about it a couple times.  Did not receive a reply as of yet. 

It is a very worthwhile feature actually.  For example, one of my listings has a moderate cancellation policy which is perfect for bookings, but there are a few peak weekends (events) around the year that deserve a firm or strict cancellation policy.  Other hosts have similar things, or high season.

@Bhumika no reply to 'Feedback' form.   Through the years have submitted several 'Feedback' forms with feature requests and never got a reply to any.  Hosts need a way to communicate with airbnb about new features.  Thank you.

@Bhumika 

Hi Bhumika,  is there some other way to lobby for this feature?  Feedback form produces no reply after multiple tries over 3 months.  Do we assume no reply means no chance for this feature.  Another host mentioned VRBO is implementing this feature. Thank you.

Hi yes we need this feature as Hosts to be able to set different cancellation policies for different dates. Airbnb has added tons of new features for travelers, such as splitting the tab, etc. We hosts would also like to see some upgrades which are certainly possible within the technology, we just need Airbnb corporate to extend some recognition that hosts make the platform work and we need some modernized features to remain relevant on Airbnb. For example it's common for travelers to book up multiple places for popular weekends, just to then cance them all and try to get a lower price right before the event. There are reddit threads devoted to this entire "method" of abusing Airbnb  cancellation policies. We need a response from the company. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think it would be confusing for guests to have different cancellation policies for different times @Andrew2578 

The guest would only need to be aware of the cancellation policy for the dates they reserve. They would not even know or need to know that other dates have a different policy. Just like different dates have different prices, different dates have different policy associated with them. Guests can figure it out by actually reading the agreement they sign upon confirming a reservation.  And if you think it's confusing, you don't have to use this feature on your listings. 

@Andrew2578  Of course you are correct.  

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Obviously some guests look at not just one set of dates - I've just done it before booking a recent trip @Andrew2578 

As you know most guests don't read everything properly and the design of an Airbnb listing makes it difficult to find the information a guest is looking for..

I can see it giving rise to increased guest dissatisfaction. 

@Andrew2578 Other sites offer this flexibility.  It could be added to airbnb professional hosting tools module.  Totally an option.  Having said this, I don't think airbnb reads any feature requests on this forum.  Just host to host forum.  Airbnb sorely needs a user group for feature requests.  There is no way to contact airbnb corporate.