Critique my listing - Steve, Palm Springs, USA

Answered!
Steve44
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Critique my listing - Steve, Palm Springs, USA

Hello hosts -

I'd love your input and thoughts, on our almost 7 year listing in Palm Springs. The home is a vacation rental (no home sharing). Very well maintained with plenty of (recent and old) positive reviews. Hardly any negative reviews (maybe 1-2) at most out of 310+ reviews. You can access the listing here: https://shorturl.at/exzH4

Anything you think that can be done? One of the things we want to do is update the images, and get new photography done. These images really do not do justice to our home. I also think investing in more backyard amenities like a cool lounge set, and more games, and maybe doing a bit more decorative and design oriented elements to some of the rooms (with more art, accent pieces). I also think a small work station could help and there's an area in the kitchen that could work. 

It's all just coming at us at a difficult time financially, so trying to do my best to think creatively and not necessarily pour in endless amounts of dollars. 

Thank you for any thoughts and feedback!

-Steve

1 Best Answer
Yvette304
Level 2
Anderson, SC

I would change the title. We just opened our place last year. My small home is NOT a vacation rental. So, I focused on what would draw people to us. I'm pleased with how well it's doing with short stays. 
I would put this into your title.  
1) mountain view or gorgeous mountain views
2) if you have easy access from a main hwy. or in a great area, say so... Or possible a main attraction that you are close to.... My listing says Desirable area
3) Big Pool or great pool is good.
5) I would add a picture over the beds. People love beautiful pictures. I was a photographer and the images I have were actually from having a good eye and my cell phone. I've put up 20x24 over the beds. 
4) Also, in your listing you mention minutes to downtown Palm Springs. If 10 minutes, Say only 10 minutes to downtown.  
5) One last thing, your home allows up to 8 guest, but you have 4 outside chairs other than the picnic table. I would get more chairs so the family could sit out together for talks. 
6) I put special details in my place that most don't do. I have a basket with coffee packets, creamer, rice Krispie treats, fruit bars and instant packs of oatmeal. If I have a guest coming in for a special event, I get a cookie cake that may say Congratulations. 

Your reviews are great. No need for that in the title. Customers will see that info by the number of stars. 
FYI... I once owned a business in the middle of nowhere and made a good living off of it by the way I advertised. 

I jumped around and as I saw things I thought would help, I noted them. Your place is beautiful and I wish you continued success. 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Steve44 
I tried to find it as a guest but had no luck!
A lot of competition with similar pictures.

Not easy to differentiate

That's interesting. Clearly the listing is not being discovered well in the system anymore. I will try to figure out, maybe with the help of Airbnb Support, what exactly might be causing that. Thanks for raising this issue to me, Bob! Thanks again. -Steve 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Steve44 

Welcome to the Community Center!

Thanks for posting a request for advice on your listing - here on the CC we call that a listing critique - so I've updated the title of your post so that any of our Hosts reading through will see the title and pop in to give you their thoughts.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks so much, Jenny! Appreciate that! -Steve

Yvette304
Level 2
Anderson, SC

I would change the title. We just opened our place last year. My small home is NOT a vacation rental. So, I focused on what would draw people to us. I'm pleased with how well it's doing with short stays. 
I would put this into your title.  
1) mountain view or gorgeous mountain views
2) if you have easy access from a main hwy. or in a great area, say so... Or possible a main attraction that you are close to.... My listing says Desirable area
3) Big Pool or great pool is good.
5) I would add a picture over the beds. People love beautiful pictures. I was a photographer and the images I have were actually from having a good eye and my cell phone. I've put up 20x24 over the beds. 
4) Also, in your listing you mention minutes to downtown Palm Springs. If 10 minutes, Say only 10 minutes to downtown.  
5) One last thing, your home allows up to 8 guest, but you have 4 outside chairs other than the picnic table. I would get more chairs so the family could sit out together for talks. 
6) I put special details in my place that most don't do. I have a basket with coffee packets, creamer, rice Krispie treats, fruit bars and instant packs of oatmeal. If I have a guest coming in for a special event, I get a cookie cake that may say Congratulations. 

Your reviews are great. No need for that in the title. Customers will see that info by the number of stars. 
FYI... I once owned a business in the middle of nowhere and made a good living off of it by the way I advertised. 

I jumped around and as I saw things I thought would help, I noted them. Your place is beautiful and I wish you continued success. 

You're so kind to offer up so many great suggestions, thank you! I will incorporate all of that! Thank you again,  Yvette! -Steve

go to rules of house you can add fees there

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Steve44 Why are you calling your place a resort? I think that wording, more than anything, will get you into trouble. 

"A resort is a self-contained commercial establishment that tries to provide most of a vacationer's wants, such as food, drink, swimming, lodging, sports, entertainment, and shopping, on the premises." Wikipedia

You should definitely curate your photos. You have too much repetition, and you're not really accentuating the features that might appeal to guests. SO many pictures of your outdoor table (that seats 8.)

Why are you cramming extra guests in? 4 beds is a natural capacity of 8. You don't have seating for more than 8. Why? More guests equals more wear and tear, and more guests also equals possible parties. I would emphasize the appeal of your place as family-friendly. The "group of friends" thing is what may cause you trouble. 

Also, people have their own streaming services. I would never let guests be logged into my personal accounts for Netflix, etc. I have a Smart TV but no cable. When I send check-in instructions, I remind guests to have login/access to their streaming services. That's it. I'm not paying for something they have themselves. This:  **please do not add any subscriptions or rent movies using our account--thank you!**  is not going to work. When someone does add subscriptions to your account or rents movies, you have no recourse. 

Last, don't talk about your reviews in your description. Guests can read them by virtue of the fact that they are looking at your property. 7+ years of perfect reviews? You'd be at 5 stars if that were true. Don't get me wrong, 4.94 is stellar with as many reviews as you have, but when you make statements like you've done, it will come back to haunt you. 

Good luck.