Default Language of a Listing cannot be changed

Gordon308
Level 2
Basel, Switzerland

Default Language of a Listing cannot be changed

Here is my problem.

My listing is on default language German.

I want it on English.

The translation on AirBnB from German to English is not good quality.

If I add English as an extra, I have to maintain 2 languages.

Is there any plan to allow the switching of a listings default language?

I know I can set the default language if I make a new listing. But then I lose all the reviews and ratings built up over some years in the original listing.

Surely this is a simple programming update?

18 Replies 18
Etain0
Level 2
Catalonia, Spain

Hello, I would also like to know how to do this!  Mine is in Spanish and I want it in English. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Gordon308 👋

I was going to suggest creating a new listing to set the default language, however losing all of your current ratings and reviews wouldn't be the best. 

I wanted to invite you to share your feedback here.  Although they can’t respond individually, they’ll pass it on to the teams who are working to help make Airbnb better for everyone.

Rebecca 🌟

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi @Gordon308 @Etain0 

You can easily change your listing default language:

Go to Listing Editor on Phone or Browser

Click the Preferences Icon top right

Change Default Language

Change Language Pref Listing Editor.png

@Rebecca 

Hi Rebecca,

no that changes your default language for the app, not the default language of the listing (which is a different setting and currently cannot be changed). But thanks for the input.

Hi @Gordon308 

On a brower in Preferences says it will change "some settings" and guest will be shown automatic translations for everything else? Hmmm....I'll have to do some more digging on this as all the listings I have worked with were created in English:

Joan2709_0-1709231639171.png

Hi Rebecca, as Gordon says, it does not change the default language of the listing, thanks anyway

Hi @Etain0 

Did you try going to your account/global preferences also?

Hi Joan, I have managed it at last, thanks to everyone's help 

@Etain0 

Yayyy!!! Did going to your account/global preferences work?

Hi @Gordon308 , @Etain0 

Try doing this and if it works, let us know here as I'm sure there are other Hosts that would like to do this as well. After making the change, might have to logoff Airbnb account on all devices and log back in to see the change:

Click Profile Photo/Account/Global Preferences

Changing The Language On Airbnb

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2651

Joan2709_1-1709232111683.png

@Rebecca 

yes!! thank you Rebecca 

Hi @Gordon308 

@Etain0 was able to change the language on the enite listing by:

Click Profile Photo/

Click Account

Click Global Preferences

Changing The Language On Airbnb

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2651

Joan2709_0-1709421439306.png

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately in the backend my default language is still German. That just translates it (somewhat poorly).

My work around is to add a 2nd language of English. It's annoying because every time I want to change something, I have to maintain 2 versions of the content (German & English). And every translation for other languages is coming from the German version.

Additionally I can't get to the same "Listing Editor" page. that you show.. Could it be the software version I have in Switzerland is somehow different? Or maybe I'm doing sonething wrong. Anyway I give up on it. Disappointing that Airbnb for all the cut they take can't implement a small clear change to their software.