Do you upsell any extra services?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you upsell any extra services?

Liv_0-1633966644601.jpeg

Hey everyone, 

A few Hosts have been experimenting with selling extra amenities and services to guests - apart from the stay itself. This got me thinking and I’m curious to know if any of you have ever tried or thought about doing something similar.

It could be an optional meal that you cook yourself, a ride to the airport that you charge for separately or perhaps some paintings made by a local artist.

Either way, I’d love to learn more about extras you might offer guests. Do you upsell anything in your listing? How do you advertise it to guests?

Thanks,

Liv

153 Replies 153

Hey Liz,

Just seeing your post! Would love to discuss the provisioning challenge you are facing. Were you able to find a service to solve for this issue?

Thanks,

Vivek

Robin488
Level 2
Perdido Beach, AL

We added a few things this summer, they are free of charge.  I have an essentials basket, tooth brush, toothpaste , mens razor, ladies razor, small shave cream, packets of sunscreen, deodorant. There is a small sign that says, did you forget something? Please take only what you need. I have been doing this in both of my properties for about 8 months, and NO-ONE has taken advantage, if guests take anything it is usually one or two things, and I actually had a guest replace items (I knew because it was a different brand than I use).

I also leave fresh flowers, if I am aware of a specific event, I will leave a card, I had a young couple that came to the beach to elope, I left a small cake and card. I leave a large cupcake for birthdays with a card.   We also leave a small snack basket with waters, chips, single serve cookies and a couple of coffee pods.   We have all 5 star reviews on our 2 current properties, we have had an issue or two, but we always try to fix it immediately or if it isn’t urgent, let the guests know we won’t interrupt their stay and take care of it when they leave.  

our FREE extras get mentioned a lot in reviews, we also have a letter board in our properties, and it welcomes each guest by first name, we only allow 4 guests so it’s pretty easy to make everyone feel welcomed.   We do not currently charge extra for anything, we offer kayaks, life jackets, floaties, as well as a Weber gas grill, and we are above average for our price, not the highest but well above the lowest, and we stay booked, I think people (some at least) see value in our amenities.  So in reality we do charge for our extra stuff, but it is in our nightly rate.  

Annali0
Level 2
Nairobi, Kenya

I have not been hosting for a long time in my homestay. when i started i used to offer  sweets, biscuits and a coffee as a welcome thing. offered cleaning services and free WIFI. I host in kenya and in the city of Nairobi and on Airbnb for many years. I feel great whenever i offer anything cos its my pressure. it feels a little bit low when you dont host. Thank you all cos i get encouraged by reading your experiences and options

Annali in( K)(nairobi

Diana1650
Level 2
New York, NY

Yes I have a mini-bar/store set up in my unit (s) that carry all types of items the guest may not have or may want at the last minute, it does quiet well. 

Diana B.