Dual listing on VRBO

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Dual listing on VRBO

Hi folks,

In desperation, due to lack of bookings, we put our 3 bed listing on VRBO and linked the calendars to Airbnb. For some reason the VRBO calendar link has totally blocked our Airbnb calendar so I have obviously disabled the link!

Anyone got any ideas what is going on? Somehow I don't see Airbnb and VRBO getting together to sort it out.

11 Replies 11
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mike-And-Jane0  is your VRBO listing already live?  If not then this could be the reason. 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 It is live and I found it when searching in August. It doesn't have photos yet though but that shouldn't have blocked the Airbnb calendar.

@Mike-And-Jane0  I remember VRBO had an update I think last month and stop syncing (new bookings on ABB didn't block dates on VRBO anymore) so I had to delete links and link everything again.

But I link ABB to VRBO only, not vice versa, if I get a booking on VRBO then I block my ABB calendar manually

RoniSue0
Level 6
Tempe, AZ

Out of desperation because AirBnB’s summer update took me instantly from ALWAYS booked, no bookings, I also joined Vrbo. I’m getting messages from Vrbo that they may take up to a few months to complete my integration with other platforms. I recommend contacting Vrbo about your concerns, and seeing if it’s just a matter of time on their part.  

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Did you use the simple export ical link? Or is this integrated some other way? If it’s just the ical import/export you should be able to fix this. Try adding an s on the ical url as in if it starts with http insert to make it https

that is the only troubleshooting I’ve needed to feed Vrbo ical to airbnb ever 

let me know if you need screen shots. This should be a very easy problem

to solve!!! And I’ve got like 60 listings cross listed so I live for this ical stuff to work 

also they do have 2 possible ical links one is “include tentative” and the other is normal (not including tentative). That doesn’t sound like the issue but you didn’t mention how exactly you’re trying to synch so I’m guessing 

Hi - We recently starting listing our property on Airbnb and are in the process of listing it on Vrbo. I have some questions about dual listing as well and would love some feedback from other hosts: 1. I linked the calendars both ways. Should I include the tentative bookings in the sync? 2. Does anyone have double bookings even after linking the calendars? If so, how to best avoid them? 3. Vrbo doesn't allow us to set the maximum duration of stays and recommends instant booking for the listing to be included on Expedia. We wouldn't want to rent the property for over 28 days. Is there a way to avoid long stays on Vrbo? 4. So far Airbnb's instant booking is working fine for us. What's your experience with Vrbo's instant booking vs. Airbnb's? 

@Jeana30   I was on VRBO instant book for many  years before also advertising on AirBnB.  I do use instant booking for both sites, but I am at my computer most of the day and can check for issues immediately upon notification of a booking.  I have occasionally turned off instant booking on VRBO and have found that I still book well through them -- most of my VRBO guests want to communicate prior to booking anyway.  Turning off instant booking allows you the time to review a booking request and say yes or no.

1.  I do not include tentative bookings in my calendar sync.  Paid reservations only.

2.  I monitor the calendar sync daily and have never had a double booking.  Knock wood.

3.  There is a checkbox on the VRBO site under Rooms and Spaces where you can accept long term guests.  I have this checkbox unchecked, and I do not offer discounts for a rental over 2 weeks duration.  This has deterred most long term guests as my month price is now too high compared to my competition.

Using more than one platform will ensure that you have more consistent bookings, but like any business, your time and attention to your rental is important.  This is not a set it and forget it business.

@Lorna170 Such helpful advice. I really appreciate it! Now I feel better listing on VRBO in addition to Airbnb. 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Mike-And-Jane0  did you get a solution for this? I also just dabbled with VRBO and put one of my listings on there, and it has also blocked the ABB calendar. I also cannot fathom how the blocking even works over the other side, seems like to have to open it all, and manually block days, and if you block a group you can't unblock just one day. I was trying to just fill in some gaps but I am not interested in messing around, so i already paused my vrbo listing, unsyced the calendars, but still all future dates for that one listing are now blocked. 

@Gillian166 no we gave up on VRBO in the end.

@Mike-And-Jane0  I actually had a phone call from them the other day, urging me to complete my listing, so I did. it was nice to get a call but it sounded like a Phillipino call centre call, and she was still somewhat difficult to understand. Same old, same old. 

And i know there's a learning curve with any new system, but the calendar thing has just been too dodgy, I can't risk double bookings.